Why become a member? ×

Find your perfect stings here...

TimmyC

Due to many strings threads I thought I would post this to help people find what they are looking for, scroll down to find the table:

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=4037"]http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectio...;storycode=4037[/url]

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim
I only just came across this forum post and I'm amazed no one has even bothered to respond. This is a great link.

I started out on Rotosound Swing bass strings (too long ago), then moved to Elites maybe ten years ago for a while and moved to D'Addarios five or six years back. While I've been pretty happy with the D'Adds, they sound great, last a while and boil up pretty well when near deado, I will probably source out some Elricks, Spectors or Mike Lull strings on t'bay within a few days.

Good one, thanks
P

[quote name='Buzz' post='27857' date='Jul 6 2007, 12:07 PM']Still, I'd lost the link, good find, even if it's a bit useless outside of listing the brandnames and string composition, as the tone/feel is a bit subjective.[/quote]

Good point but at least it gives you somewhere to start from. I've been driving myself crazy about which to use and only use D'Addarios because that's what I've always used on my guitars, I'm now thinking ghs boomers might be better for me.

• 5 weeks later...

I have only just signed up as a member of Basschat today and was delighted to find this link. Well done, that man, for posting it. Very useful as a guide to what one might try next. I have got back into bass playing here in the UK after an absence of many years and am re-discovering the joy of making music all over again. Once a bass player...........

The one thing that this report did not address is the longevity of different strings and this is always a factor when making a choice of string to use regularly. I have been using LaBella but got fed up with the problem of core breakage which seems to plague them (the retailer confirmed that they are aware of this problem from customer feedback). Have been using D'Addario but have just found Elites which are marketed by the London Bass Centre. They have a rounder tone and last better in my opinion but different strings will always suit different players/instruments/amplification/musical genre etc and they are arguably the biggest cost of playing over any reasonable length of time, depending on how often you change them. The nature of sweat seems to change from one person to another and this will affect how a given type of string will stand up to use. Also, I find that certain amps are able to breathe life back into strings with a few tweaks more ably than some others and a decent instrument will help prolong sustain as strings begin the "fade". Good gear costs money but seems to allow some saving on strings so maybe it is not quite as expensive at it first appears. At least that is what I shall tell my wife the next time I want to upgrade my gear!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TimmyC' post='23467' date='Jun 26 2007, 12:02 PM']Due to many strings threads I thought I would post this to help people find what they are looking for, scroll down to find the table:

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=4037"]http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectio...;storycode=4037[/url]

Tim[/quote]
Thanks Tim

Only just seen this but it's very useful.. There's so much choice it's almost too much choice.

Nik

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='65697' date='Sep 26 2007, 09:04 AM']Pics still not appearing for me. Anyone else?[/quote]

Theyre all on the file I atteched but not on the file when downloaded here. If someone can tell me a better way of doing it, I'll do so. As has been suggested above, it is an extremely useful resource
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='65674' date='Sep 26 2007, 07:37 AM']I saved it. I'll attach it to this post and hope it works. I guess that you can simply right click on it and save it?
Chris

[attachment=2476:Bass_Pla..._Tasting.htm][/quote]

Hmmm, I can't access those sorts of links with FF. Can you not just attach as a piccy like you would selling a bass?

I've got the right table in mind haven't I?

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='65971' date='Sep 26 2007, 04:42 PM']Hmmm, I can't access those sorts of links with FF. Can you not just attach as a piccy like you would selling a bass?
I've got the right table in mind haven't I?[/quote]

That's what I did! It's a document that runs over several pages so I don't think I can attach it as one picture. I'll see what I can do tomorrow however. In the meantime, I'm happy to email it to anyone who needs it, simply PM me your address.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='65992' date='Sep 26 2007, 05:18 PM']That's what I did! It's a document that runs over several pages so I don't think I can attach it as one picture. I'll see what I can do tomorrow however. In the meantime, I'm happy to email it to anyone who needs it, simply PM me your address.
Chris[/quote]

:) sorry, I thought it was just an image file. I remember linking onto Basschat.

[quote name='Beedster' post='65738' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:24 AM']Theyre all on the file I atteched but not on the file when downloaded here. If someone can tell me a better way of doing it, I'll do so. As has been suggested above, it is an extremely useful resource
Chris[/quote]

Try loading the page in explorer and then saving it is a single file (.mht) and then uploading that. The pictures should all be saved in one file then.

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='66304' date='Sep 27 2007, 10:16 AM']Try loading the page in explorer and then saving it is a single file (.mht) and then uploading that. The pictures should all be saved in one file then.[/quote]

That's what I did. It doesn't work!
Chris