Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Big Baby 2

Mudpup

Toby - try phoning them? They always answered my calls so perhaps they just haven't got to your emails in their inbox yet.

They are in the process of hiring an Admin person which will speed things up I'm sure but in the meantime my vote is for a phone call :)

Just called Alex on the phone and he had read my email! He suggested that I took the panel off the back (if I wanted to, otherwise to send it back to them) and explained at length and in some detail how the horn was wired and to check the two (military grade) bayonet fixings on the terminals, as he couldn't imagine what else it could be. I was pleasantly reassured at the time he took and his concern. He obviously has great pride in his creations!

I did this. They hadn't come off, but I pushed them on tighter anyway.

Hoorah! This seems to have solved the problem. Probably moved in transit. The horn now works. It sounds fantastic! Plenty of high frequencies, rich bass.

I shall be gigging it twice this weekend and will make my final decision whether to keep it. If it carries on sounding this good, it's almost a cert that I will!

Thanks for the help chaps!

[quote name='TobyMunkling' timestamp='1396877766' post='2418239']
I shall be gigging it twice this weekend and will make my final decision whether to keep it.
[/quote]

We await your pronouncement with bated trousers. ;)
Though I'm disappointed in one way as I was hoping to buy it from you. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TobyMunkling' timestamp='1396877766' post='2418239']

Hoorah! This seems to have solved the problem. Probably moved in transit. The horn now works. It sounds fantastic! Plenty of high frequencies, rich bass.

[/quote]

Result, and kudos to Alex for the customer service.

Interested to hear your opinions, esp as I also used the Streamliner as front end for the BB2. I still use it in 'preamp only' mode for the IP - I love the sound, and the DI out has been used by me at small festivals with great results. I think it's a great amp, though you do need to know where flat is on it, and it's nowhere near 12 o'clock on all the knobs. I also think it's not a great amp for precise EQ adjustments - when I need that, I use a pedal, or the sweep mid control on the East preamps in a few of my basses.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1396863248' post='2417971']
It's a subject of great interest to me at the moment...
[/quote]

I'm still trying to decide myself if I prefer a flatter cab, perhaps with better dispersion around the room and usually more low end extension, or a more 'voiced' cab, though usually these do not have such even dispersion.

So far, it's the former for home and small jazz gigs, and the latter for loud stuff. I'll probably change my mind next month :D

I have a 2nd generation BB2 paired with a Tecamp Puma 1000, complete rig bought on here. Sounds awesome. However I do find that up close on stage I find it quite hard to hear (in a covers band with 2 valve amp guitarists) and that's when I've got the master volume dialled at about 2 o'clock, so pushing on a bit. Out front apparently it sounds fine.

In terms of both top and bottom it has plenty for me with good definition, but I'm adding a second one to improve the onstage sound in loud gigs and not having to drive the head so hard. Alex reckons the new ones are louder and may enable me to dispose of the Gen 2. We'll see.

Can I also piggyback on your contributions Toby, I see you have a Streamliner 600? I have a TC RH450 I just can't get on with, probably not got enough personal IQ to get my head round the Spectracomp, was thinking of swapping to a GB, what's the difference between the Shuttles and the Streamliners? Shuttles more solid state? 9s too much power, 6s probably enough? Anybody near me happy for me to try one, you can try my BB2(s)? Quite a lot of contributors in this thread mention heavy bass for STMs but they seem well suited to the Barefaced cabs and in particular the BB2? Any comments/suggestions anybody?

[quote name='V2factoryman' timestamp='1396980639' post='2419448']
What's the difference between the Shuttle 9.0 and a Shuttlemax 9.2?
[/quote]

I looked into the difference between the 9.0 and 9.2 a while back, and this is what I found (a lot based on forum answers, so don't quote me on it):

- improved EQ voicing
- addition of 3DPM (something to do with power management which improves tone)
- improved gain section, although I suspect that was just a better valve.
- the High Pass Filter on the 9.0 was criticised as having it's cutoff frequency set too high. The 9.2 has a HPF set at 30Hz, making for a deeper tone. Also, the HPF is now bypassable when you engage the bass boost preset.

I think that the Shuttlemax is the Shuttle with an added MOSFET channel

The 9.0 and 9.2 shuttles are very similar,it was the 6.2 that had the hpf changed from the 6.0. The 9.2 has 3dpm, this is a valve compression emulation on the power amp section. It is said that it's not worth changing a shuttle 9.0 for a 9.2, but the 6.2 has more girth than the 6.0 and is noticeably better. The Shuttlemax is a physically bigger amp with a valve channel and a FET channel
Both channels have the addition of lo mid and hi mid and also tone shaping filters that can be varied in level. The power amp section is the same as the shuttle.

[b][size=6]BOOM!!!!!!!![/size][/b]
:crazy:

Just had to be done really, didnt it

[URL=http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/mudpup1/media/temporary.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/temporary.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397125458' post='2420856']
Thanks very much for these GAS-inducing pics, guys. :rolleyes:
[size=4]PHWOOOAAR!! Eh? Eh? Eh? Too right.[/size]

[size=4]@Mudpup: Tell me when you're gigging with both cabs and I'll get my ear protection sorted...[/size]
[/quote]

Ash nr Guildford on Friday and Ashford in Kent on Saturday..........

It's much louder than the Matamp 2x12, which is next to it the picture. The Matamp has new Eminence drivers in that have't really been run in so it's a fair comparison. The BT2 makes the 400+ sound like it should and compared to the Matamp cab it seems more comfortable with the master on 6. Any more than that it going to cause problems with the house or windows or something.

Still too early too decide if it's right for me and I won't get an opportunity to try with the band until next Saturday, we're having a Saturday off this week.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397229076' post='2422041']
Wow, I bet that 400+ has got some serious [u][b]heft[/b][/u]. Are you going to break in the cab by sticking a 30Hz tone through it all night, or the traditional way - by playing your bass through it..? :D
[/quote]

"Heft" is one of my favourite words and is so beautifully descriptive of what big valve amps deliver :D

I think I'll stick with traditional and just plug a BB into it and play some party bass lines - I don't care about the neighbours, one came round once to complain (mid-afternoon) and said he sort of understood because he played guitar but said that I was taking the piss. I told him to @£$% off and grow a pair.

Just to clarify and so that you don't get the impression I have a collection of ASBOs, I only ever play through my amp at home when I get a new one or am trying out a fix and need to hear it, which amounts to cumulatively probably two hours a year; otherwise I'm on headphones through my B3. :yarr:

Edited by Sean