Why become a member? ×

Onboard preamp plus outboard

tonyclaret

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1382133812' post='2248640']
Waste of time? Good idea, overkill?
[/quote]

Try it. You'll either like it or not.
You can't have too many tone options, in my humble opinion.

I find using an outboard pre-amp/tone shaper with an integrated pre/power amp (i.e. two sets of EQ, etc.) gives me a sound I like.
More to the point it also gives me a sound that's good with the band.

• 3 months later...

I think it depends on how powerful your onboard preamp is, and also how quick and easy you need to switch between sounds. Everyone who uses an onboard pre is also using the outboard pre on their amps, and also any effects pedal is also theoretically a preamp I think (as a pre-amp is simply a device which changes the tone and /or dynamics of the sound without necessarily amplifying it).
It simply comes down to what sounds good to your ears. Having a pedal set at certain frequencies to stomp on for a quick and reliable change could be very useful in a live situation as it's sometimes not that quick and easy to re-create a specific sound using onboard parametric preamps.

Basically ... anything goes. But I would advise people to not overcomplicate their signal chain if not necessary, as quality of signal will be lost the longer the chain and the more you fiddle with the sound.

• 2 months later...

Just an additional comment for the thread .... I am increasingly finding it more and more useful to have EQ control both pre and post any overdrive/distortion (which I use almost all the time). The ability to shape the EQ going in allows you to alter the quality of the drive. Yet, also having the EQ after, allows you to fine tune the tone. I find it an incredibly useful method.

Yep... you can complicate the chain so I think one has to be the master.

And the other needs to be the backup. So onboard pre's are ok...for that
on hand quick adjustment, and the back end should be set at the start of the show and that is
it.
As for all-singing, all-dancing little boxes, then that is a huge no for me. Too much fighting
of the natural tone you have is asking for trouble and generally will sound like it.

If you consider how much effort can be spent on getting a sound in the first place -and these pages are full of
that...and then you want to introduce so many more variables?
It's funny, so many people say they play flat..and then you look at their signal chain..???

For me, the pre on my amp sets the basic sound range, and the controls on the bass (whether active or passive) allow me to operate within that range.

If a particular preamp gives you something you can't otherwise get, then go for it, but there is a risk of ending up with a very lumpy response that may sound fine soloed, but fails to find its place in a band mix.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1397997006' post='2429316']
Yep... you can complicate the chain so I think one has to be the master.

And the other needs to be the backup. So onboard pre's are ok...for that
on hand quick adjustment, and the back end should be set at the start of the show and that is
it.
As for all-singing, all-dancing little boxes, then that is a huge no for me. Too much fighting
of the natural tone you have is asking for trouble and generally will sound like it.

If you consider how much effort can be spent on getting a sound in the first place -and these pages are full of
that...and then you want to introduce so many more variables?
It's funny, so many people say they play flat..and then you look at their signal chain..???
[/quote]

My amp is flat at recording, intake a pre amp EQ at gigs to the desk and everywhere else when relying on my amp and cab I change the EQ to either cut or boost the bass to help with room acoustics etc.

So I play 'flat' but the chain at the end represents next to not a lot from the signal source, although in the chain is a clean blend that makes it through.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1398016327' post='2429580']
My amp is flat at recording, intake a pre amp EQ at gigs to the desk and everywhere else when relying on my amp and cab I change the EQ to either cut or boost the bass to help with room acoustics etc.

So I play 'flat' but the chain at the end represents next to not a lot from the signal source, although in the chain is a clean blend that makes it through.
[/quote] out of interest... what's the amp at the end?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1398017156' post='2429591']
out of interest... what's the amp at the end?
[/quote]

Nothing right now, been using a Genz shuttle 6.0 before and a Markbass LMtube before that. So pretty transparent and responsive to changes.
I'm looking at a shuttle 9.0 since I like those anyway, but fancy a change so the GK MB800 with its lights is tickling me a bit but I'm always dubious of not having tubes in the oreamps. But it sounds pretty neutral and open regardless.