Why become a member? ×

Aluminium DB

ubassman

Hi,

I'm late to the party on this thread but thought I'd post as that's my Pfretzschner in the photos - though its gone through a few changes since then. You can hear that bass [url="https://soundcloud.com/ludek-drizhal/ticket-to-the-moon-credits-the"]here[/url]
just recorded acoustic using an Audix mic on an H-clamp - nothing fancy. I have an Alcoa as well though prefer the Pfretzschner.

[quote name='Kazan' timestamp='1394358346' post='2390537']
Hi,

I'm late to the party on this thread but thought I'd post as that's my Pfretzschner in the photos - though its gone through a few changes since then. You can hear that bass [url="https://soundcloud.com/ludek-drizhal/ticket-to-the-moon-credits-the"]here[/url]
just recorded acoustic using an Audix mic on an H-clamp - nothing fancy. I have an Alcoa as well though prefer the Pfretzschner.
[/quote]

Nice feel - the singer's got a classic voice...

Thank you very much! Here's another recorded the same way - also from the same film soundtrack but a different singer: [url="https://soundcloud.com/ludek-drizhal/back-to-your-dreams"]here[/url]

and one recorded earlier using a magnetic pickup - sounds very electric bass like as a result: [url="https://soundcloud.com/david-l-price/2-steps"]here[/url] (please forgive any intonation weirdness as I did this right after getting the bass back together after not having had an upright for several years)

Here's a picture with the bass on stage - it does make an impression:

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1382568115' post='2253917']
I wouldn't play an aluminium bass guitar, so I assume I'd shun an aluminium double bass too. Mind you, I definitely would have a go on it first, though :D
[/quote]

If you get the opportunity, try an aluminium necked Kramer bass. I rate mine highly, clarity of notes combined with even string response. The weight can become a bit tedious :(

Yes, I remember the Travis Bean ones. They were pretty good and true about clarity of notes and even string response. Similar to the graphite necked basses but they where around earlier. Some had wood inserts on the back of the neck. Part of why I like the Pfretzschner better than the Alcoa is that it has the wood neck. The Alcoa has a cast aluminum neck and peg-box/scroll which is a work of art IMO but I still prefer the feel of wood!

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1394435065' post='2391210']
If you get the opportunity, try an aluminium necked Kramer bass. I rate mine highly, clarity of notes combined with even string response. The weight can become a bit tedious :(
[/quote]

I always imagined they would be difficult to keep in tune with temperature changes, or is aluminium not so prone to that?

I don't know on the tuning stability issue as I've never more than tried the Travis Bean/Kramer ones (and double basses can be so particular in that way regardless). I will say the Alcoa aluminum neck can get uncomfortably hot on some outdoor gigs in the sun in summer.

You don't need aluminium for tuning issues to arise.

I played a market gig outside Kew station last summer. We were (supposedly) under a gazebo but the set-up meant that my Ampeg Baby Bass was in direct sun.

For the first 30-minute set I was having to re-tune after every song, and at one point mid-song.