Why become a member? ×

Dirty Loops' first original number

xilddx

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1382660248' post='2255256']
Good musicianship and a lot of great ideas. These are talented players.

I liked it, even if it did make me feel totally inadequate.
[/quote]
The most honest reply yet ;)
They're brilliant, and in my view are as musical as they are technically proficient.
I wouldn't buy it but that takes nothing away from my first two thoughts, so I wish them great success, they deserve it.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

As someone who has a strong love for jazz and avant garde playing (and singing!) I think it's awesome. The interaction between all 3 is awesome, the keyboard playing is mental, the vocals are epic, the drummer is tight, and the bassist has some tasty chops.

However, as someone who has also has a strong love for tasteful and toneful music and playing, it leaves me pretty cold. Other than the stabs they are musically somewhat all over the place relative to one another, like someone else has pointed out the keyboard seems to wash over everything, the vocals appear to be autotuned at points (which is not necessarily an issue!) just to support the riffing that he arguably doing more than the bass does, and I'm pretty sure I saw and heard the same bass riffs in their cover of Rolling in the deep.

I think there's a lot of merit in this piece, sadly I feel the merit is primarily academic.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1382687919' post='2255361']
As someone who has a strong love for jazz and avant garde playing (and singing!) I think it's awesome. The interaction between all 3 is awesome, the keyboard playing is mental, the vocals are epic, the drummer is tight, and the bassist has some tasty chops.

However, as someone who has also has a strong love for tasteful and toneful music and playing, it leaves me pretty cold. Other than the stabs they are musically somewhat all over the place relative to one another, like someone else has pointed out the keyboard seems to wash over everything, the vocals appear to be autotuned at points (which is not necessarily an issue!) just to support the riffing that he arguably doing more than the bass does, and I'm pretty sure I saw and heard the same bass riffs in their cover of Rolling in the deep.

I think there's a lot of merit in this piece, sadly I feel the merit is primarily academic.
[/quote]

+1

I love the cover versions they do. This left me cold but I cannot deny the superb musicianship. Bloomin show offs. :D

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1382646109' post='2255067']
Needs more 13th chord stabs!
[/quote]
[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1382646939' post='2255082']
I love how tight they are although they're so tight with the stabs at times its bordering on OCD. I think they will gain more respect doing their own material than rehashing other songs because not all the songs they've played fit into their playing style. I wish the bass was fatter in the mix because the keyboards and drums seem to dominate everything which is a shame because Henrik is doing some interesting stuff..
[/quote]

as much as i do like them i agree with these comments - the stabs all are pretty much all in the same syncopation - hopefully though over time they will develop more with their own original material and start taking these arrngements in new directions otherwise they will just end up groovy but interminably formulaic - maybe part of the issue is that they have undoubtedly hit on a good formula wiht all their unique cover version arrangements and its that old cliche of if it aint broke dont fix it? how many times in pop music history have we seen 'winning formulas' (ie money spinners usually) go on and on and on until everybody has become terminally bored and moved onto the next new genre?

Edited by steve-bbb

First couple of listens I wasn't impressed. I've been eagerly waiting for this so maybe that is no surprise. Their formula of taking popular throwaway songs and doing their thing to them has obviously resulted in them writing a throwaway pop song and doing their thing to it. The trouble is their throwaway song is poor. the lyrics are sh*t, and it speaks to a narrow audience IMHO.

I think they'll do well in Asia, I think they have a chance of capturing the minds of youth that might otherwise be drawn into other forms of music, but I have a feeling their song writing just wont be good enough to get big airplay.

Still enjoy listening though and after 20 listens it is quite catching :)

They sound a bit like maroon 5 but with a better singer, same cheesy pop songs and sound but superb musicianship! I'd expect my wife to really like it and I can then secretly enjoy the playing while she hums along to the catchy tune

Great playing but it reminds me of the Frankfurt Music Messe..sometimes I think the technique and the breaks came first and then they start working on a song. It just makes me want to hear Steve Gadd's smooth grooves or a great Earth Wind and Fire-song instead of this "on steroids"-thing. Bit too much music for musicians imo, I love virtuosity but when there's too much emphasis on it..

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1382697364' post='2255511']
I actually think they could do very well commercially. I could easily imagine that being played on R1.
[/quote]

Yes, without the video of them doing their "muso" thing the song is fairly bland and unassuming. Perfect for daytime radio fodder...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1382710515' post='2255764']
There's more going on harmonically than most "bland" pop, and the arrangement is quite stimulating, especially compared with stuff that really IS a bunch of loops. I found it interesting to listen to more than once. I think "bland" is a bit harsh in this context.
[/quote]

But as background music to work to (which is how most people I know listen to the radio) all you really get is the vocal "melody", which in that context won't stand out amongst all the other pleasant but ultimately forgettable RnB/Jazz influenced pop songs.

im now bored of there sound. i can hear some fantastic stuff in there covers, awsome technical ability, driven by a good song.. but this music doesnt do it for me. i think there showing there colours. thats not a bad thing. its just not for me. and for me, there is no soul or character in this record

Edited by bubinga5

I've been waiting to see what they were going to come up with for a while now. Personally i don't like it.

They are great players & have some great ideas but my issue with this song compared to the covers is just that.

The song is IMO really weak. Their covers were from '[i]well written' [/i]pop songs. That's what made it interesting to me.

I'm interested to hear the album but for now i'm left feeling pretty cold about them.

Vocals: Good, in a Stevie Wonder/radio-friendly pop kind of way
Singer's Face: Offputting, in a 'squeezing-out-a-poo' kind of way
Keys: Way too '80s sounding
Bass: Please ease off on the tinny slap. The fingerstyle is really enjoyable.
Drummer: Excellent
My favourite part is the instrumental break at around 2:00

Edited by Roland Rock