Why become a member? ×

Bass buggy and wheels

fatgoogle

Wanted to add my opinion here.

I've tried all the wheels available and hated them all. They felt unstable to me and eventually will cause serious damage to the bottom block, Unless you are using it just to wheel across a small well paved carpark. The bass buggy is good, but again, can cause serious damage to the lower ribs.
I've ended up using Steve's Bass wheel and its the best solution. The OP seemed to be worried about pressure across the fingerboard. The bungee chords cross the bass where the fingerboard attaches to the bass on mine, so no probs there. And the certainly exert less pressure on the fingerboard in general than I do when i'm playing the bass, so I can't see this being a problem at all.

The Wheelbass protects the bass, and absorbs any shocks going over ground. If you want to keep your bass in good nick I haven;t come across a better option. I use my all over london, and I love it.

I think Steve's design looks great, but my concern is size once its off the bass. I always go for the minimum amount of stuff, but I expect his is the ultimate long distance and safest design.
The great thing about a wheel is it takes up very little space and when you walk with the bass its right into you and if you are careful, the bass is easy to manoeuvre, lift up over curbs etc... without stopping walking to pick it up. If there is a lot of obstacles its more of a combined pushing and lifting to deal with all the stuff in the way.
I agree though that you have to be very careful and not go off roading though as would be a quick way to destroy your end pin block. It also take a while to really learn how to use it and change your habits of how you move the bass when the wheel is in. I know a few people who have had accidents as a result of not using one properly. Eg trying to put the bass in or out of the case whilst the wheel is in.

• 8 months later...

Even with an estate car it's still possible to have to carry the bass quite a distance to the stage or wherever the playing area is. I use a collapsible trolley with folding wheels - mine's from Maplin and is the best/cheapest version I've seen. I leave the bass in its cover and bungee it to the trolley, then wheel it to the stage. I can then return empty to the car and bring in amps, cab and other stuff.

Does stairs easily and the cover protects the bass in transit. £30 approx.

Edited by bassace

[quote name='Lazybirdpete' timestamp='1406541378' post='2512192']
Thomann now stock the bass buggie if anyone is interested so a bit quicker than a US import and no import duty or paying the post office fees. I've just ordered one myself. 125 euros inc postage.

Pete
[/quote]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/kcnc_double_bass_buggie.htm"]Here[/url] for thomann's KCNC buggie