Why become a member? ×

Bass buggy and wheels

fatgoogle

I've been looking into getting a bass buggy as im fed up of carrying my double bass. Usually end feeling really tired before rehearsals and gigs.

Anyone got one? care to shed some light on it. Or other wheels in general that you've found useful.

I need something that can handle plain pavements, cobblestones at times, and getting on and off buses and in and out of cars, easily but that i can also wheel for 40 mins or so to a gig and back again.

Cheers
Sam H

I have a good solution;

I use public transport all the time with my double bass (I can't drive.. yet) and use to carry my bass on my back all the time. (It was hard work even as a young man) I recently brought a new double bass and it's just too heavy or (I would imagine) to carry it on my back between gigs.

I sound like an advert but even though at first it's a bit of a nightmare to set up, once you work out how it goes it's brilliant.

I use the Bass Buggie;

1) Unlike bass wheels it's more stable and vibrates less, you don't need one hand on your bass at all times. (not that I frequently remove my hands or anything. )
2) My ext concern was how to protect the instrument and it's very easy to move around and it vibrates less than endpin wheels.
3) My concern was then the tension of the string around the bass to keep it in position, according to Martin Penning (who is a genius and a really nice guy) I would in no way damage the instrument by putting pressure around the strings of the instrument.

I use it with a turtle case and it's useful because the instrument isn't raised in height very much, keeping the height as minimum as possible.

It's really hard to give a depth review but the bass buggie is great.

http://www.contrabass.co.uk/bass_buggie.htm

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1383953962' post='2271360']
Lol, a onyx wheel.
[/quote]

Any advantages or disadvantages?

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1383952701' post='2271330']
I have a good solution;

I use public transport all the time with my double bass (I can't drive.. yet) and use to carry my bass on my back all the time. (It was hard work even as a young man) I recently brought a new double bass and it's just too heavy or (I would imagine) to carry it on my back between gigs.

I sound like an advert but even though at first it's a bit of a nightmare to set up, once you work out how it goes it's brilliant.

I use the Bass Buggie;

1) Unlike bass wheels it's more stable and vibrates less, you don't need one hand on your bass at all times. (not that I frequently remove my hands or anything. )
2) My ext concern was how to protect the instrument and it's very easy to move around and it vibrates less than endpin wheels.
3) My concern was then the tension of the string around the bass to keep it in position, according to Martin Penning (who is a genius and a really nice guy) I would in no way damage the instrument by putting pressure around the strings of the instrument.

I use it with a turtle case and it's useful because the instrument isn't raised in height very much, keeping the height as minimum as possible.

It's really hard to give a depth review but the bass buggie is great.

[url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk/bass_buggie.htm"]http://www.contrabas...bass_buggie.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for the info, its what im leaning towards most at the moment.

It's made of solid rubber so no inner tubing.
My tutor has used his for the past 12+ years.
It's simple and I live in an area where I have to push the bass up very steep hills! Across 2 years I've had No problems what's so ever. Might I add the wheel is simple so if something does become loose or break it's easily replaceable!
Only con is you have to order it from America...

I like things simple and require 1 min max time to put together! I personally wouldn't go for the buggie as I like to keep things simple and focus on playing as opposed to gear!

On another note I got some innovation strings and they're quite good! They definitely require a straight bow at all times up in the dusty part but they seem cool! E string and a string were killer from the packet ..

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1383953962' post='2271360']
Lol, a onyx wheel.
[/quote]

+1 thats what I use. It means that you have to hold the bass in its bag ( which is a good thing !!) but that the wheel gives you portability and takes the weight. I haven't tried a bass buggy in fairness so I am not dismissing it just that I have always found my wheel excellent I am also wary of bass buggies after Hectors recent post about putting a huge hole in his bass "Im having a bad day" thread ....!

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1382296643' post='2250359']
I was just clumsy - I use a bass buggie ([url="http://www.kcstrings.com/bass-buggie"]http://www.kcstrings.com/bass-buggie[/url]), which allows the bass to stand freely whilst you open doors etc. Obviously, I would never leave it unattended like that, but it can be very briefly freestanding for using both hands for opening a door or similar. I managed to knock it over whilst opening my front door and it landed on the clasp that sits on the shoulder, which made the hole.

[/quote]

Edited by ubassman

The thing that I am not so sure about with the bass buggy is where it comes into contact with the bass. Its the edge detail of some basses that concerns me where the top and bottom project past the ribs - these projecting lips seem to be the only part of the bass in contact with the buggy?

Personally I would prefer to keep the load bearing weight on the structural part of the bass through the bottom end pin block rather than to the side ( 15kg is a lot of weight to place on the seams and a thin piece of rib wood ). Thats my hapeworth anyway !

Too much to think about know. Bass buggie or wheel? My bass is pretty sturdy though, probably too much bracing.

There is quite a lot of cobblestone in dublin which I can try to avoid but now and again....

Also another thing, would a wheel make the bass too tall getting onto a bus? Or puttin it into the back seat of a car.

Buss buggie or onyx

I only ever use my Barnes wheel when I have to - for the most part I just carry the bass !

Subjecting a DB to taps, bangs, knocks, vibrations isn't something any of us would think is doing any good to out instrument but thats somewhat inevitable as soon as it starts to become mobilised and in constant contact with ever changing ground surfaces. I am wondering Sam if either type of product will help ...40 minutes is a long push !!

The reason that the buggy design is way it is , seems to be down to getting the bass to a convenient angle of the bass to push when tilted. I feel a bit more comfortable discovering that there is also a Bass buggy cushion - that should absorb quite a bit !

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/2334-UPRIGHT_BASS_BUGGIE_BASS_TRANSPORTER_BASS_BUGGY.html

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1383987931' post='2271504']
+1 thats what I use. It means that you have to hold the bass in its bag ( which is a good thing !!) but that the wheel gives you portability and takes the weight. I haven't tried a bass buggy in fairness so I am not dismissing it just that I have always found my wheel excellent I am also wary of bass buggies after Hectors recent post about putting a huge hole in his bass "Im having a bad day" thread ....!
[/quote]

I would actually still unreservedly recommend the bass buggie, great bit of kit. It was just me being a clumsy idiot (not forgiving myself for that in a hurry), and the blame lies squarely on my shoulders rather than on the buggie.

EDIT - Although I would stress that you should be very very careful about letting the bass stand freely, as the buggie site advertises you can do. Easy to knock it over.

Edited by Hector

+1 on an onyx wheel. I've tried a lot of different options and its my favourite by a long way. As long as you are careful (like with any trolly etc..) you have a quick and safe way of moving the bass with a minim of extra stuff to carry. I always have mine in the boot of my car in case its needed on a gig. The best part is its super quick to fit and get moving.

I use one of these, primarily because it was cheaper than getting an Onyx wheel from the states.
[url="http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/433070/Bass-Wheel-Shaft-Diameter-8-mm.htm"]http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/433070/Bass-Wheel-Shaft-Diameter-8-mm.htm[/url]
It's good for covering some distance when walking, but I usually take it off if I'm entering a building or train as it makes the bass taller. The inflatable tyre is a good thing, as I tend to keep it quite soft to absorb shocks. Mine must have done a fair few miles by now as I use it to get around Edinburgh when busking in the summer.

And my endpin is non removable. Seems it's the bass buggie.

Cheers for the responses guys. I should have checked my endpin earlier.

Also reason for thread was that I had to carry my bass for a couple of hours between Wednesday and Thursday and I'm taking the weekend of practicing to leave my shoulders to rest as they were pretty uncomfortable. Going to book an appointment with the uni physio to make sure everything's ok.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1384001368' post='2271721']
Out of interest Hector do you use a cushion? Having one of those fitted seems to me to be a really good idea ! On balance you know I am not a great fan of anything that puts the bass in contact with the ground but sometime needs must !
[/quote]
Yes, this is a good idea. The bass buggy is designed with shock absorption, but for extra reassurance I also use some foam ground sheet material for extra padding (I believe you can pay extra for bass buggy padding, but it's easy to add your own). I guess the ideal would be to carry it so you're not pushing it along the ground, but for me that's not an option - I used to turn up to concerts with chronic back ache trying to do that! My bass buggy definitely is included as one of my best bass buys.