Why become a member? ×

can you link 2 combos together?

lowhand_mike

i'vs seen my guitarist do it with 2 guitar amps and slave them together, you plug your guitar into one and then send out to the input on the next amp (not from the extension on the back of the first though but from the tuner out or the effects loop out).
So is this possible with a bass combo? what would happen or could happen if you did this so is it wise?
if it is ok whats the best way.
would be a simple way of boosting my setup as we have another bass combo that i was using that had a fair bit of low end but didn't cut in the mix wellso would add low end to my amp that cuts beautifully.

or should i just get a slap in the face :) :huh:

Why not just add a speaker cab, then you'll be using your amps full power and moving more air?

You can slave two together, I've done it in the past and it's been fine - either use fx send or line out, just be careful that the input to th e2nd amp isn't overloaded.

cheers guys, puts my mind at rest.
and yeah merton i totally agreee and want a second cab but don't want my wife to make anice necklace of me nuts right now, and we already have another lower powered combo that i used to gig with, it might help with the sound it might not but just wanted to ask before making things go boom!

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='1533' date='May 18 2007, 05:13 PM']i'vs seen my guitarist do it[/quote]

Guitarists ? What do they know :)

Yes you can - what they said above. The signal from the FX send/tuner out might be higher than a normal bass signal so you'd have to watch the input gain of the second amp.

Alternatively you can go IN to the FX return on the second amp. That bypasses the input gain/tone controls on the second amp and just uses the power amp section of the amp, meaning all the tone control will come from the first amp.

Or you could just use a power amp (i.e a PA-type power amp) as the second amp.

You could also use a splitter box before the amps to split you bass signal into two separate ones and feed one into each amp as normal.

Lots of options.

You can.

I do.

In this pic (old), bass goes into Peavey, out of Peavey pre-out into TE and out of Peavey into its own power amp. The Peavey has acrossover to dictate which combo handles which bands of frequencies.

But I now go bass into the TE, out of the TE line out into the Peavey input. The crossover isn't used in this set-up.

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

[quote name='Merton' post='1557' date='May 18 2007, 05:30 PM']Why not just add a speaker cab, then you'll be using your amps full power and moving more air?[/quote]

Careful there - Eden's Nemesis combos put out their full power before an extension cab is hooked up. Their outputs are actually lower when an extension cab is hooked up.

I'm not aware of any other amps that are wired like this, but there could be.

Mark

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='5041' date='May 23 2007, 11:20 AM']Careful there - Eden's Nemesis combos put out their full power before an extension cab is hooked up. Their outputs are actually lower when an extension cab is hooked up.

I'm not aware of any other amps that are wired like this, but there could be.

Mark[/quote]

That they are. But Mike has an Ashdown combo I think?!! :)

[quote name='Merton' post='5692' date='May 24 2007, 01:04 PM']That they are. But Mike has an Ashdown combo I think?!! :huh:[/quote]

<<<<--- i do :)

but all this twas for nowt, the singer took back his peavy max before i got down to the hall on monday, so i geuss i may save doing this for a gig but with the volume coming out of the 210 on monday night (and my subsequent earache) i'll not need to do it for a while but thanks for the input, i think the sensible thing to do is save a bit and get the 15 cab.

if i do get round to trying it i'll let ya know what happens

Edited by lowhand_mike