Why become a member? ×

Non Reverse Thunderbird Build

Billy Apple

Ladles and Jelly-Spoons!

I'm very pleased to announce the forthcoming build of my Non Reverse Thunderbird, and even prouder to announce that she will be put together by our very own Dr Horrid, The Bass Uncle :)

Since selling on my TBird I've been missing the old girl. I've always liked the non reverse shape, but find the modern Gibson re-issues a bit Meh. So the plan is to get one built that is a bit more full-fat.

Starting with the body and neck, I've ordered an un-finished 'blank' from Bach, along with a correct two part bridge.

The body is mahogany with a mahogany set neck and rosewood fret board.

For tuners I'm after Gotoh GB528's

And for Pups I'm putting in Thunderbucker '66's from the Thunderbucker Ranch

That's it for now.

Thanks to the Doc for taking this on! :)

Edited by Billy Apple

I understand that considerable pressure had been put on Gibson to reissue the NR Thunderbird and (obviously!) Gibson were having none of it, so a few members of an US bass group approached Bach to build a limited quantity of NRs to original specs (it's pointless saying '60s specs as they were only produced for a short time in the 1960s). I think there's been three different runs, slab bodies, tummy/arm-cut bodies, single/two pick up versions. If you search around, you'll see nothing but positives from people who've bought them. There have been quite a few customisation jobs...you'll find plenty of data online.

To move this along, it is a bit of a victory for the small man...rumour is that Gibson wised up and off the back of the Bach runs, finally pulled their finger out and re-issued the NR earlier this year (I've got a vintage sunburst Gibson one...you can read my early traumas with it elsewhere on Basschat), so hurrah to Bach.

I looked at buying one of these blanks earlier in the year, but as my carpentry skills are borderline non-existent, I just couldn't pull the trigger, along it has to be said, I'm still thinking about tracking down one of the originals at some stage.

P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1384533530' post='2277880']
I understand that considerable pressure had been put on Gibson to reissue the NR Thunderbird and (obviously!) Gibson were having none of it, so a few members of an US bass group approached Bach to build a limited quantity of NRs to original specs (it's pointless saying '60s specs as they were only produced for a short time in the 1960s). I think there's been three different runs, slab bodies, tummy/arm-cut bodies, single/two pick up versions. If you search around, you'll see nothing but positives from people who've bought them. There have been quite a few customisation jobs...you'll find plenty of data online.

To move this along, it is a bit of a victory for the small man...rumour is that Gibson wised up and off the back of the Bach runs, finally pulled their finger out and re-issued the NR earlier this year (I've got a vintage sunburst Gibson one...you can read my early traumas with it elsewhere on Basschat), so hurrah to Bach.

I looked at buying one of these blanks earlier in the year, but as my carpentry skills are borderline non-existent, I just couldn't pull the trigger, along it has to be said, I'm still thinking about tracking down one of the originals at some stage.

P
[/quote]

That's a reassuring story to read. I was thinking it might be something along the lines of the necks drop off. or such like.

I had once ordered a finished NRTBird from Bach a while ago, but at the time they weren't doing PP but invoiced you with a bank transfer thingy that I never got round to doing and Bach cancelled the sale. Most people comment that the electrics are a bit cheap and things like the Pup covers are chrome plated plastic, but at the price I don't think the whole thing was too shoddy. At present the site is showing all the finished ones out of stock.

As long as the body is sound I'll be happy, and I'm putting all other skill areas into Howard's capable hands.

I also had some comms from Bach about the 2 piece bridge and was told they were manufactured in Japan by the factory that makes Floyd Rose's. So hopefully it will be solid enough.

Edited by Billy Apple

There's a guy called Scott Dasson in the US who makes a two part bridge for Thunderbirds (the Badbird). Tom Petersson (Cheap Trick) uses them on his TBs. I'm not sure the expense over a Bach bridge is worth the fuss, but here's his FB if you're interested:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badbird-Bridge/166569760043127

Make sure plenty of pics get posted of this project! I'll be watching VERY closely :)

Cheers
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1384539237' post='2277987']
There's a guy called Scott Dasson in the US who makes a two part bridge for Thunderbirds (the Badbird). Tom Petersson (Cheap Trick) uses them on his TBs. I'm not sure the expense over a Bach bridge is worth the fuss, but here's his FB if you're interested:

[url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badbird-Bridge/166569760043127"]https://www.facebook...166569760043127[/url]

Make sure plenty of pics get posted of this project! I'll be watching VERY closely :)

Cheers
P
[/quote]

I've seen this on my trawls. This has longer travel on the saddles to cure intonation problems caused by badly placed ones. A chap called Ben Lindsey [url="http://www.lindseyguitars.com/T-bird.html"]http://www.lindseygu...com/T-bird.html[/url] makes them too. His look quite nice and feature a grub screw that locks onto the posts. Steve at the Thunderbucker Ranch can also supply the ones that are put onto Cataldo basses.

But all in all the Bach one is keenly priced, looks fine and will not get garnished by Parcelw@nk.

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1384539237' post='2277987']

[url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badbird-Bridge/166569760043127"]https://www.facebook...166569760043127[/url]
[/quote]

IIRC that's the bridge Mike Lull uses on his T-Bass models.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1384538067' post='2277957']
Found this on YT. It's not the best, but you get the picture about the Bach TBird, and doesn't seem bad at all to me..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwHPN2MSaug[/media]
[/quote]

Do me a favour Sean, when you're finished can you stick something better than this on YT. I recommend having some lights so the bass can be seen, using a rig which doesn't distort as soon as you hit the E-string, and try clipping your fingernails before hitting 'Record'. :D

Incidentally, some of those tones are intriguingly deep into Ric territory ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384688575' post='2279405']
Do me a favour Sean, when you're finished can you stick something better than this on YT. I recommend having some lights so the bass can be seen, using a rig which doesn't distort as soon as you hit the E-string, and try clipping your fingernails before hitting 'Record'. :D

Incidentally, some of those tones are intriguingly deep into Ric territory ...
[/quote]

Aye, it's a bit of a crap demo. That and those pups are Bachs own, and not what will be on mine.

You never know, I might put something up, but being a pick-playing wood butcher I've got this inferiority complex about posting any of my playing on BC!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, little bit of movement on this. The body and bridge bits have arrived at the Doc's. Howard is saying all is well, and that is good enough for me. I'm going for a solid colour, so the knottinge pattern on the upper bout will not matter, but I would recommend anyone buying one to tell Bach what kind of finish you are putting on. It comes with a belly cut, but Howard will be setting about it with his chisel putting a forearm contour on. The fret-board looks very nice indeed, puts the Doc in mind of Brazilian rosewood :). There will be a bone nut getting crafted too.

Howard is getting the tuners in, and the Pups have been ordered from Thunderbucker. They are giving a build time of 2 weeks, plus delivery.

Any-hoo, here's the bits so far..

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1385663249' post='2290917']
OK, little bit of movement on this. The body and bridge bits have arrived at the Doc's. Howard is saying all is well, and that is good enough for me. I'm going for a solid colour, so the knottinge pattern on the upper bout will not matter, but I would recommend anyone buying one to tell Bach what kind of finish you are putting on. It comes with a belly cut, but Howard will be setting about it with his chisel putting a forearm contour on. The fret-board looks very nice indeed, puts the Doc in mind of Brazilian rosewood :). There will be a bone nut getting crafted too.

Howard is getting the tuners in, and the Pups have been ordered from Thunderbucker. They are giving a build time of 2 weeks, plus delivery.

Any-hoo, here's the bits so far..

[/quote]