Why become a member? ×

Dorset and Somerset Bass Bash 2014: Post Event Critique

yorks5stringer

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1392076625' post='2364521']
As I live in yeovil and work in sherborne, this is pretty close to me. So what happens at one of these things, and what is good to bring?
[/quote]

You could bring your Rockinbetter along for people to try out, you might get a sale or trade, that is after you've gone through the initiation ceremony that Keith so masterfully presides over....
It's generally a nice chilled time ans a chance to meet some other local bass players, have a go on some gear that you might not have tried before.
They're a very friendly bunch in Dorset, and it's very relaxed (once the initiation ceremony has taken place that is)

I've been flipping basses like crazy since last year and am now much happier. I'm now a Sandberg free zone which feels kind of strange. I'm not sure how many basses I can first in the car but i'm to going to bring along an LTD Surveyor 405 and one or more of these:
Farida Hypersonic,
Ibanez SR1300
Ibanez SR3005E should be in my hands by then too .

Let me know if you have a preference.

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1392100271' post='2364576']
You could bring your Rockinbetter along for people to try out, you might get a sale or trade, that is after you've gone through the initiation ceremony that Keith so masterfully presides over....
[/quote]

OK, well I will come along. I will bring the Squier VI as well, as that is a fun thing for people who haven't tried one.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1391455916' post='2357397']
Worth holding off on buying a CMD 121P?
[/quote]

No need to hold off. I was discussing this with MSL today, I can update you at the weekend...

Sadly won't now have the Multi Amp at the weekend as it has sold so well they have no UK stock or me to borrow.... ah well, I'll just bring my CMD151 combo and new york cab rig you may then wish to re-consider 15" yourself..!

Cheers MoJoke, it'll be good to get a feel for the size and weight of the 15" (I've seen a 12" one). I'm a little concerned that they're still the same price, yet cheaply made in Indonesia and are heavier now apparently. That kinda puts me off (see the MarkBass made in Indonesia thread). Hopefully you have some good news :)

I'll be bringing my Yamaha TRBX 504 - you all need to try one of these beauties!

I'll also be bringing my Rockbass Corvette and Dean Hillsboro Single and Zoom B9 for sale. (I paid my donation to sell on here.)

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1392143058' post='2365302']
No need to hold off. I was discussing this with MSL today,[b] I can update you at the weekend[/b]...

Sadly won't now have the Multi Amp at the weekend as it has sold so well they have no UK stock or me to borrow.... ah well, I'll just bring my CMD151 combo and new york cab rig you may then wish to re-consider 15" yourself..!
[/quote]

I'm hoping you can read out a prepared statement, what a coup for the Bash...!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1392152284' post='2365455']
I'm hoping you can read out a prepared statement, what a coup for the Bash...!
[/quote]

As said I don't work for MSL or MB, so I cannot speak for them or read official statements B) , but I do now understand what they've done and why.

The problem with open web forums is that, if manufacturers do not clearly state policy change, the reasons behind it, and the many benefits of why they [b]have [/b]changed, they risk suffering from a deluge of opinion and critique before they can justify it. In this case change really is actually good, but the negative PR and discussion here may not be!

Trust me, its all good, including changes in weight in some of the cabs (some up, some down... the revised specs are being updated on the MB site as we speak) ... [b]nothing at all[/b] to do with inferior components.

I have been a loyal MB user for 6 years who is [b]not [/b]an endorsee or subsidised in any way, and when the time comes (not too soon I hope!), I will be replacing my CMD151/NY151 with another MB rig, as it has only ever once let me down, always gives me the tone I want/need, and I can carry the whole 500w thing in one journey to/from the car.

The one and only time it failed was because of a power spike on stage at a venue, which wiped out the fused resistors in switched power supply (I now have a bag of them if anyone needs them. I also know a man who will fix it for you too!). It happened on the Friday night of a particularly busy August bank holiday weekend. With no great expectation I emailed MSL begging for help, and was phoned back the following day by the MD with an offer of a loan of a Big Bang head to bail me out for my Sat/Sun/Mon gigs. That level of service and care deserves my loyalty (buy one from Thomann and see if they care as much...).

See you Sunday.... looking forward to meeting you all!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1392241918' post='2366463']
As said I don't work for MSL or MB, so I cannot speak for them or read official statements B) , but I do now understand what they've done and why.

The problem with open web forums is that, if manufacturers do not clearly state policy change, the reasons behind it, and the many benefits of why they [b]have [/b]changed, they risk suffering from a deluge of opinion and critique before they can justify it. In this case change really is actually good, but the negative PR and discussion here may not be!

Trust me, its all good, including changes in weight in some of the cabs (some up, some down... the revised specs are being updated on the MB site as we speak) ... [b]nothing at all[/b] to do with inferior components.

I have been a loyal MB user for 6 years who is [b]not [/b]an endorsee or subsidised in any way, and when the time comes (not too soon I hope!), I will be replacing my CMD151/NY151 with another MB rig, as it has only ever once let me down, always gives me the tone I want/need, and I can carry the whole 500w thing in one journey to/from the car.

The one and only time it failed was because of a power spike on stage at a venue, which wiped out the fused resistors in switched power supply (I now have a bag of them if anyone needs them. I also know a man who will fix it for you too!). It happened on the Friday night of a particularly busy August bank holiday weekend. With no great expectation I emailed MSL begging for help, and was phoned back the following day by the MD with an offer of a loan of a Big Bang head to bail me out for my Sat/Sun/Mon gigs. That level of service and care deserves my loyalty (buy one from Thomann and see if they care as much...).

See you Sunday.... looking forward to meeting you all!
[/quote]

Week on Sunday, don't come this Sunday...!

Slightly off topic but my Band have 2 gigs this weekend and this seemed a good place to mention them due to the local connections...!

The Zoot Dukes are playing the Old Barn Club in Yeovil on Saturday 15th Feb and we will be on around 8.00pm.

On the Sunday we will be at the West of England Showground in Shepton Mallet for the massive Auto Jumble Event. If anyone is interested in that I can get them free entry so they can get an old Dynamo/rear axle off a Ford Pop and see us too! We will be doing two sets during the day.

Don't think Sherborne has any problems, although Marston Magna was flooded a few weeks ago (between Yeovilton and Sherborne). There was a landslip on the A37 between Dorchester and Yeovil last week I understand.

Noting you are in Bristol, I would think the A37 to Yeovil would be your best route and not the M5/Bridgwater/Street way.