Why become a member? ×

CIJ 70s reissue , pickups reversed ?

lojo

Took delivery of my newly purchased P bass ....

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb1.htm"]http://www.fareastgu....uk/usedpb1.htm[/url]

I also ordered a black pick guard, as i prefer that cosmetically, only then did I discover the bass has the pick ups reversed ?

Does anyone know if this was std on some of these models, just seems a bit odd ? , its not been routed but just clearly built this way

Can I get a pick guard from anywhere with the correct pickup holes ?

Edited by lojo

I have some vague recollection about a Fender Rocco Prestia signature bass in the late 1990's , and this looks to be one. They are extremely rare , and probably quite collectable. You can see Rocco playing one in the Bassday 98 video. They were only made for a very short time and very few were ever sold. Could be that you have made a very lucky purchase. Good for you !

I think it looks great with the white pickguard. That is the colour plate an early to mid-70's natural ash Precision with a maple board would have shipped with , and it looks correct to me. Looks like a fantastic bass all round , in fact . Enjoy it.

Edited by Dingus

Thanks guys, it certainly did and is puzzling me, but as suggested above, this is the exact bass ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puY2_cRLMbQ

Might take mine back, and say it doesn't sound as good as that one :)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1384884998' post='2281889']
Looks to me that the one in the video has the pickup a bit nearer the neck than the one shown in fareastguitars?
[/quote]

Yep the vid one has the DG bit swapped over to the other side of the EA (like my Pingray) while the OPs one has them both switched vertically.

Edited by Ou7shined

Regarding the pickup placement, Rocco's bass will probably have been an experimental prototype . It may well be that they decided the production model should have the pickup in the tried and tested Precision position , seeing as that design has been quite successful for Fender so far... :ph34r:

It may be that Rocco was so used to pivoting on the E A pickup cover that his prototype simply left that one in position and the D G half 'leapfrogged' ahead rather than a straight swap-over.

I can imagine the drawing they worked to showing the E A position would have an arrow pointing to that half saying "Rocco pressed here".

Coat please......

• 1 year later...

Im just bumping this thread incase theres any more info around about these basses, I've been gigging it (only safe gigs) and loving it, and periodically check the web for info or others for sale (with no joy)

Just brought another CIJ maple necked Fender, this time a jazz bass, it just as wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this reply from Fender, he also stated its the only reference to the model in their files.

Thanks for writing in!
There were a few Rocco prototypes made in early 1999, but the deal was never officially closed so there was no production on this style. So, good find! I'll get you the full spec sheet below for this model!

Model Name: Rocco Prestia Precision Bass
Model Number: 019-6702-(Color #)
Series: Artist Signature Series
Body: Alder (Straplock Ready)
Neck: Graphite Reinforced Maple Neck
Fingerboard: Maple Laminate (9.5" Radius/241 mm)
Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo
Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.625" (41.3 mm)
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: American Standard
Bridge: Deluxe Top Load or Strings-Thru-Body Bridge
Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
Pickups: Reversed Split Coil Vintage Style P Bass Pickup
Pickup Switching: None
Controls: Master Volume, Active Treble Boost/Cut and Bass Boost/Cut
Colors: (806) Black,
(721) Natural,
(838) Crimson Transparent
(Polyurethane Finish)
Strings: Special Tension 7250 Strings
Source: U.S.
Accessories: Vintage Style Tweed Case, Strap, Cable
U.S. MSRP: $1,559.99
INTRODUCED: 1/1999
DISCONTINUED: 1/1999
NOTICE: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

Jeff Bielke
Consumer Relations Representative
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
17600 N. Perimeter Dr., Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
480-596-7195

I've had some really good responses from Fender recently too - I think I could have chatted with the same guy! Anyway, it's great to see such comprehensive information coming back. Hey Lojo, could we see some more pictures now that the link is dead?

It seems you have a rather cool bass!