Why become a member? ×

Guitar Picks

davesmith987

Hey all, this is such a newbie question, but I need as much advice so I'd ask in some forums and stuff. Basically, I am learning to play bass guitar and need to invest in some guitar picks. Now, I must stress this a lot....I have absolutely no idea of the difference between all of them are! I know I know...newbie alert....sorry...but any help would be so appreciated. I have asked some friends and they said these http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/10-Extra-Hard-Nylon-Guitar-Picks-1mm-thickness-Purple_i4157.htm what do you all think? Are these good quality and a good price? Thanks in advance for any responses...

Personally, I wouldn't spend 15+ quid on a batch of picks that you might not like.

Look on ebay/Amazon etc, and get a mixed bag of different sizes, thicknesses etc, and see which ones you feel comfortable with.

IMO, YMMV etc...

They really are very expensive. My advice would be go to your local shop and pick up a few ranging medium to heavy gauge and see which one you get one with. It'll cost you a LOT less and you can work out which thickness suits you (it is down to taste and there is no right or wrong) and then buy some more of those. It'll still work out cheaper.

Another good reason for buying a few different types and thickness picks is that you can change the pick depending on what you are doing with it. I currently use 7 different picks depending on what I want it to do. Though I have a favourite for most things (3mm nylon Big Stubby. Though that might change if Strings Direct ever send me the picks I ordered nearly 3 weeks ago...) the others come in handy, too.

It's all about feel. Buy, beg, steal, borrow every type you can lay your hands on. They do vary in quality too - try everything. When you find a couple of types that you like, that's the time to buy in quantity (unless they're metal they will wear out over time, and you'll occasionally lose them so it's good to have a few lying around).

[quote name='davesmith987' timestamp='1384873345' post='2281696']...I need as much advice...[/quote]
[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1385058804' post='2284030']...you PM me your details I will send you some picks in varying gauges that I have left for free and if you want to you could make a donation to Basschat :)[/quote]

Good evening, Dave, and welcome to the forum...

You'll be hard pressed to find a better offer than the above. Thunderbirds are go..!

I can't help further with pick choice; I've never been able to use 'em, ever, for guitar nor bass (but then again, I'm a drummer... :blush: ).

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1385059339' post='2284039']
Good evening, Dave, and welcome to the forum...

You'll be hard pressed to find a better offer than the above. Thunderbirds are go..!

I can't help further with pick choice; I've never been able to use 'em, ever, for guitar nor bass (but then again, I'm a drummer... :blush: ).
[/quote]

I must admit, I struggle with them on Bass and Guitar too. However I use the following, when I try and play with them, as I sometimes struggle to keep hold of the damn things:

http://www.slickgrip.com/store/en/

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385991987' post='2294359']
For me the whole point of using a pick is that it doesn't sound like finger style.
[/quote]

Indeed, which is why I try and persevere using them but I am not a fan (of the playing, like the sound sometimes dammit).

I don't want to start a new thread for this, I thought this might be a good place to ask...

Has anyone bought [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/919213/jim-dunlop-primetone-picks-3mm-large-pointed-player-pack-pack-of-3/"][size=4]Jim Dunlop Primetone Picks 3mm Large Pointed Player Pack (Pack of 3)[/size][/url] from Strings Direct lately?

I ordered some just over 5 weeks ago and they haven't turned up yet. [i]After[/i] I ordered them a notice appeared saying they were out of stock, which stayed up for a few days and then taken down. I gave them a week or so after that and emailed them, they said that there weren't any in the country... Since then a notice saying that they would have stock in 2 days has appeared and disappeared twice, still no picks. The site says they are in stock now but I still haven't received them.
My worry is that when I ordered them I ordered them with a pack of strings, the strings came quickly but the order says that both items were dispatched, but there is a hand written note on the invoice saying the picks were to follow. I am worried that because it says they were dispatched they will be forgotten. I shall give them to the end of next week and email them again if they're not here.

I just wondered if anyone had ordered and received them in that time?

I'm mostly pissed off because, for picks, they are bloody expensive and I agonised over buying them before deciding to treat myself. I know £7 isn't a lot to most people, but it is to me.

3mm :blink:

I find anything over 1mm to thick, even for bass!

Myself & both my guitarists found out that we all use the same gauge pics, .73mm. My previous guitarist liked his pics not much thicker than a ciggy paper.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1386590288' post='2301755']
3mm :blink:

I find anything over 1mm to thick, even for bass!

Myself & both my guitarists found out that we all use the same gauge pics, .73mm. My previous guitarist liked his pics not much thicker than a ciggy paper.
[/quote]
Those Dunlop Primetones go up to 5mm, which looks incredibly cumbersome. I find 3mm perfect for me. I do use other gauge picks, including some very thin and soft ones, depending on what I am playing, but for the vast majority of stuff I like the 3mm. The thickness along with the tapered point allows for a lot of control, I find.

I find the 3mm perfect for bass as theres no 'lag' when plucking especially if its a quick down and up stroke i feel that using a .7 or .8 pick has a slight bit of give in it before it releases the string, maybe im just weired but i feel like i can pluck quicker using a fat pick, if youve never tried one give one a go, i was skeptical at first but now i wont go back.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1385931025' post='2293825']
I think I may make myself a couple of picks out of an old thick leather belt I have I know it is not a new idea but I would like to try it I have been told it sounds more like finger playing than pick playing
[/quote]
I use heavyish 1.35mm Dunlop Nylon picks for guitar and playing classic rock bass, other styles of bass playing I use felt Ukelele picks which sound remarkably like fingers, especially with flatwound strings, but they do shed small white dust all over the face of your bass...

Took delivery of some [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Products/Products/quick&q=primetones&type=search&searchclause=all/"]Dunlop Primetones[/url] today, the 3mm sharp ones (well, 2 sharp, 1 rounded, even though I ordered 3 sharps). They're a little larger than the Big Stubbies and while they are smooth feeling, they're not as slippery as the Stubbies. The grip area is also bigger, so they are much easier to hold. One of the problems I had with the Stubbies was that the dimple is too far from the tip of the pick, so I found they stuck out too far and would click against the pick-ups, I don't have that problem with the Primetones as I am able to grip them closer to the tip, which also makes it far easier to do harmonic pinches, which is nice.

So, overall, they are expensive at £6.99 (+p&p) for a pack of 3 and I think whether they're worth that will depend on how long they last. They feel like they should be very hard wearing, so they might well turn out to be a very good buy.

That picture (taken from the Strings Direct site, where I ordered them from) makes them look sort of rubbery, which is why I decided to go for them, I thought they'd feel good and grip well and have a nice smooth tone, but they're actually very hard and smooth, but they do grip well. And, actually, the rounded tip pick has the tone I was expecting, I'm kind of glad for the mix up.

Edited by KingBollock