Why become a member? ×

B & Q screw cap cover = Rickenfaker bridge pickup thumbrest!

nick

Maya Rickenfaker was starting to p*ss me off:
Had a problem with springs on bridge pickup mounting screws, in that pickup itself kept coming loose due to lack of tension, probably down to removal of pickup cover.
After searching garage for whatever I had, found screw cap covers. Modified these as spacers, which fixed the problem.

This also gave me the idea of trying one as thumbrest on small pickup mounting ring screw as shown:
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/9336149@N08/633038533/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/9336149@N08/633038533/[/url]
It works a treat! Just the right area for me too. It's also low enough not too obstruct a pick when using one. :huh: I no longer have tendency to put thumb inside the hole(?!), on pickup, or keep slipping off small screw head, etc - Sorted!

Conversely, I never seem to have this problem when playing P-Bass, in that my thumb seems to comfortably naturally float most of the time mid-air, when not on E string(?)

May look a bit naff, but makes playing bass a lot easier at the cost of only pennies!

Top-tip or bonkers?! :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='23936' date='Jun 27 2007, 11:38 AM']Excellent idea... with one caveat;

Do they do them in black?![/quote]

I've seen them in brown, black, & I think even red!
Chrome & gold even available (for the posh), as bathroom mirror screw cap covers.
Most hardware stores sell them, not only B & Q.
Cheers
Nick