Why become a member? ×

Sandberg or Musicman

RagaMuffin

I have recently wanted a new bass and there are two contenders.

[b]Musicman 2/3 eq 4 string stingray[/b] or [b]Sandberg basic 4[/b]

Now I know the point about how a "Stingray's tone cannot be replicated" and I definitely agree with that, however I feel the Sandberg has a lot more versatility and I know others have said about that.

I'm not sure if this has already been asked but can anyone help me decide.

Money is not an issue.

Thanks

The Sandberg Basic with one MM pickup will get close, but those with the MM at the bridge + another p/up in the neck have the MM p/up sounding more like a very ballsy J pickup. Very flexible instruments though and much lighter than MMs.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1385233316' post='2285970']
The Sandberg Basic with one MM pickup will get close, but those with the MM at the bridge + another p/up in the neck have the MM p/up sounding more like a very ballsy J pickup. Very flexible instruments though and much lighter than MMs.
[/quote]
+1

Reason's for stingray deterring me 2eq / 3eq have varying opinions and the colour that I would prefer (white body and a rosewood fretboard) isn't available in the UK, and if it is, it's over priced.

So sad the US prices are low, and I think MM don't like importing, due to cheaper prices.

Saying that, I've seen a black with black pickguard one 2eq for £1100

I've played two sandbergs, and I wasn't bowled over at all.

I think that was down to the setup of the pair of them.

I own a stingray classic, and have owned other musicman basses.

I'd like a decent bit of time with a sandberg or two, but I'd be more into the California models, and I can't deal with their take on the fender type headstock...shallow, I know.

Look for a (used) EBMM Sterling (not "sterling ray" or "sterling by musicman" but the real thing) with hb/sc/sc switch.
Neck is thinner then that of a ray and it sounds really good with lots of punch.

Edit: like such!

Edited by DiMarco

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1385278570' post='2286273']
I don't get the "a stingrays sound cant be replicated" thing ?

If a company wished to make a pickup the same as the MM then surely there is no secret recipe ?
[/quote]

It's the one sound I've not heard replicated properly...Jazz basses seem incredibly easy to get right though.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1385251334' post='2286215'] Look for a (used) EBMM Sterling (not "sterling ray" or "sterling by musicman" but the real thing) with hb/sc/sc switch. Neck is thinner then that of a ray and it sounds really good with lots of punch. Edit: like such! [/quote] I owned a USA EBMM Sterling and agree, it's a very slim and fast. Then I got a USA EBMM Stingray (3EQ) and found the two have quite a different tone. The Sterling's is far more edgy and aggressive. The Stingray's is thicker and to my ears, more useable, in a variety of styles. Sandbergs are very good quality and different again from a MM. Got to try 'em, I guess.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1385278570' post='2286273']
I don't get the "a stingrays sound cant be replicated" thing ?

If a company wished to make a pickup the same as the MM then surely there is no secret recipe ?
[/quote]

It's the pre-amp rather than the pickup which colours the sound on a Stingray. Put a Stingray pickup in a Sandberg, and it still won't sound like a Stingray.

[quote name='RagaMuffin' timestamp='1385230259' post='2285907']
I have recently wanted a new bass and there are two contenders.

[b]Musicman 2/3 eq 4 string stingray[/b] or [b]Sandberg basic 4[/b]

Now I know the point about how a "Stingray's tone cannot be replicated" and I definitely agree with that, however I feel the Sandberg has a lot more versatility and I know others have said about that.

I'm not sure if this has already been asked but can anyone help me decide.

Money is not an issue.

Thanks
[/quote]
Play both and you will answer your own question....that will reveal your favourite.

Anybody else will have their own subjective opinion gathered through their individual perceptions.....

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1385299271' post='2286509']

It's the pre-amp rather than the pickup which colours the sound on a Stingray. Put a Stingray pickup in a Sandberg, and it still won't sound like a Stingray.
[/quote]
I have said before that you could bolt a stingray neck to a piece of wood,maybe an old table top, put the pickup and the preamp on it and it will sound like a stingray but you need both which you could do easily enough to the sandberg. Lakland is a better alternative imo.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1385291986' post='2286407']
It's the one sound I've not heard replicated properly...Jazz basses seem incredibly easy to get right though.
[/quote]i think its more to do with the fact that more companies use the jazz bass pickup config, as its more versatile. the only reason bass makers dont do the Musicman humbucker a lot is 1. the preamp 2. not alot of bass manufacturers want to sound like a Stingray and only a Stingray.