Why become a member? ×

Sandberg or Musicman

RagaMuffin

Having owned and heavily gigged and played the EBMM stingray, the older SUBs, EBMM sterling and the Sandberg basic. I have to say that the differences between them all are minimal and in mix it's even less noticable, unless the bass is expectionally loud in the mix.

Even passive mode the Sandberg sounds very spot on.
I did change how the sandbergs pickup is weird though to get even closer to that sound but mainly to get rid of the low mid hump.

My vote goes for the Sterling though as it's coil tapped sound is awesome and it's a sound I want back, but the Sandberg is very very very well made and the zero fret I wish was on as standard on every bass.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1385312467' post='2286738']
Having owned and heavily gigged and played the EBMM stingray, the older SUBs, EBMM sterling and the Sandberg basic. I have to say that the differences between them all are minimal and in mix it's even less noticable, unless the bass is expectionally loud in the mix.

Even passive mode the Sandberg sounds very spot on.
I did change how the sandbergs pickup is weird though to get even closer to that sound but mainly to get rid of the low mid hump.

My vote goes for the Sterling though as it's coil tapped sound is awesome and it's a sound I want back, but the Sandberg is very very very well made and the zero fret I wish was on as standard on every bass.
[/quote]
My black SR5 is ceramic, and 3 band with a selector switch which gets it into the sterling range of tones, its my favourite base overall even after I searched around to get my alnico sr5 new in 2010.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1385325122' post='2286980']
This is basschat and you are Dingus........ :)
[/quote]

Thank goodness for that !

I remember my granny used to have episodes where she thought it was still during World War 2 and me and my brother were my dad and my uncle . I've started having similar funny turns where wake up and think it's 1983 and I'm still a young and attractive bass guitarist of some promise . I even bought a fretless bass the other day , just like I did back in those days .

Regarding the comment, I have been banned before now for similarly innocuous remarks , so I would count myself lucky that all that has happened is that the comment has been removed.

Well I've owned two Sandberg Basic 4's and two Basic Ken Taylor 5's, and I really think they take some beating. The neck feel and overall playability is the main selling point for me, but they sound incredible too! I guess it depends whether you want an exact replication of "that stingray sound" that people get so defensive about, or whether you're just looking for the sound of a MM style humbucker in the sweet spot. For me, the Basics gave as close an approximation of a stingray sound as I would ever need, especially in a band mix, I think you'd have to be incredibly anal abut it to pick holes. The Glockenklang Preamp in the Basic is superb, plenty of adjustment but a very natural sound, and the controls interact very intuitively. The passive mode can be very useful too, and with the preamp set flat there is zero volume difference between active and passive. I think the Sandbergs represent superb value for money too, you can have a Basic handbuilt to your spec for less than an off-the-shelf Stingray.

I've tried quite a few Stingrays over the years, and although I really want to like them, there's just something that's not quite right for me. As they say, one man's coq au vin is another man's chicken in a basket! :D

As others have said, the only real way to draw a conclusion is to try both and see which works best for you. Might be tricky finding a Basic though, unless there's a friendly BCer you can tap up......

I hear you dingus, but dare I say that I'm surprised my little tongue in cheek comment was removed but the thread in general discussion about the 'killers chords' is allowed to continue.

Anyway, I vote Stingray, I like Bergs but I like Stingrays more.

Edited by Horizontalste

Just had a quick look on Thomann for comparisons sake, and the cheapest MM 'ray 4 3-band i can see is £1328.64 (most seem to be quite a bit more than this), and the cheapest Basic 4 is £767.10 (although there is a B-stock for £686.05). You could probably add chargeable custom options to a Basic order and still come in a fair bit cheaper than a stock 'ray!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1385325948' post='2286999']
I remember my granny used to have episodes where she thought it was still during World War 2 and me and my brother were my dad and my uncle . I've started having similar funny turns where wake up and think it's 1983 and I'm still a young and attractive bass guitarist of some promise . I even bought a fretless bass the other day , just like I did back in those days .
[/quote]
Brilliant post!

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1385326928' post='2287015']
I hear you dingus, but dare I say that I'm surprised my little tongue in cheek comment was removed but the thread in general discussion about the 'killers chords' is allowed to continue.

[/quote]

Suffice to say , some people have difficulty differentiating between making fun of an idea and making fun of an individual . When people are desperately frightened of losing control of a situation , impartiality and objectivity are usually the first casualties.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1385327392' post='2287023']
Just had a quick look on Thomann for comparisons sake, and the cheapest MM 'ray 4 3-band i can see is £1328.64 (most seem to be quite a bit more than this), and the cheapest Basic 4 is £767.10 (although there is a B-stock for £686.05). You could probably add chargeable custom options to a Basic order and still come in a fair bit cheaper than a stock 'ray!
[/quote]
Or get a sterling ray 34 then, brand name is always going to cost more im affraid even if the item is comparable.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1385328611' post='2287050']
I quoted it so its still there in spirit :)
[/quote]

Excellent. But does it mean that [i]anyone [/i]who doesn't have a Stingray likes to please men? That's a bit of a sweeping statement. But then I quite often push the Hoover around a bit, so I'm not quite sure where that leaves me.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1385328996' post='2287061']
Excellent. But does it mean that [i]anyone [/i]who doesn't have a Stingray likes to please men? That's a bit of a sweeping statement. But then I quite often push the Hoover around a bit, so I'm not quite sure where that leaves me.
[/quote]

Depends what you using to push the Hoover with... ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1385328996' post='2287061']

[/quote]

I often push the Hoover round while wearing woman's lingerie in an attempt to please everyone. I also own a Stingray but I keep it in the closet.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1385328960' post='2287060']

Or get a sterling ray 34 then, brand name is always going to cost more im affraid even if the item is comparable.
[/quote]

Is it worth paying nearly twice as much just for the name on the headstock?! I guess to some people it would be, but more importantly it's just another factor weigh up when trying choose between the two. If someone really felt that the 'ray was as good as it gets for them and nothing else will touch it, then it's worth it I guess.