Why become a member? ×

Sandberg or Musicman

RagaMuffin

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1385329564' post='2287083']

Is it worth paying nearly twice as much just for the name on the headstock?! I guess to some people it would be, but more importantly it's just another factor weigh up when trying choose between the two. If someone really felt that the 'ray was as good as it gets for them and nothing else will touch it, then it's worth it I guess.
[/quote]
I was playing devils advocate by suggesting the cheaper version to show that you could flip the cost argument by going for the cheaper ray version or even go for a SUB at a fraction of the price. Some people are into resale values too (im not) so a well bought Ray ie £999 with no case not long ago at some shops for a 2 band in limited colour choices kept mint would sell on for at least 3/4 of that if its a concern.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1385307596' post='2286649']
i think its more to do with the fact that more companies use the jazz bass pickup config, as its more versatile. the only reason bass makers dont do the Musicman humbucker a lot is 1. the preamp 2. not alot of bass manufacturers want to sound like a Stingray and only a Stingray.
[/quote]

The Super Jazz is incredibly boring. I'm bored of £3000 passive P bass style boutique basses. Fashions will change again soon but the Super Jazz etc are still very much the in thing.

It's much easier to get two alnico single coils with a passive tone circuit that it is to attempt to get the Ray humbucker and preamp right. That and the fact no one has got it right yet, or dared to see what would happen if they copied the lot. Fair play I say; protect it if it's your business.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1385326915' post='2287014']
Well I've owned two Sandberg Basic 4's and two Basic Ken Taylor 5's, and I really think they take some beating. The neck feel and overall playability is the main selling point for me, but they sound incredible too! I guess it depends whether you want an exact replication of "that stingray sound" that people get so defensive about, or whether you're just looking for the sound of a MM style humbucker in the sweet spot. For me, the Basics gave as close an approximation of a stingray sound as I would ever need, especially in a band mix, I think you'd have to be incredibly anal abut it to pick holes. The Glockenklang Preamp in the Basic is superb, plenty of adjustment but a very natural sound, and the controls interact very intuitively. The passive mode can be very useful too, and with the preamp set flat there is zero volume difference between active and passive. I think the Sandbergs represent superb value for money too, you can have a Basic handbuilt to your spec for less than an off-the-shelf Stingray.

I've tried quite a few Stingrays over the years, and although I really want to like them, there's just something that's not quite right for me. As they say, one man's coq au vin is another man's chicken in a basket! :D

As others have said, the only real way to draw a conclusion is to try both and see which works best for you. Might be tricky finding a Basic though, unless there's a friendly BCer you can tap up......
[/quote]

The Glock preamp is nice but much more neutral.

The Sandberg will never snarl and bite like a proper Musicman, or have a good headstock ;)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1385330609' post='2287109']

The Sandberg will never snarl and bite like a proper Musicman, or have a good headstock ;)
[/quote]

I disagree, I think the Sandberg can possibly sound more aggressive (yet maybe more versatile) than a 'ray, but it's just our opinions I guess innit?

Personally I like the fact that the headstock isn't just another leo-style headstock. :D

I dislike the Sandberg's aesthetics myself , but others may love it for what it is , and good luck to them .

To my sensibilities, though, the Stingray is an all-time classic bass , and you really can't go wrong with that . Of course they have their drawbacks and their idiosyncracies , but overall if you want that familiar punch in a familiar package , a good Stingray will give you that in spades. I personally think plenty of basses will substitute admirably well for an actual 'Ray in terms of reproducing that characteristic sound , many of which look nothing like a Stingray, but maybe it's a psychological thing that having an actual Stingray makes you play a bit differently because of all the history and associations that bass has got.

hi i hust try a few sandbergs in berlin 4 strings are ok(5 strings basses from sandberg are really bad in my opinion) the pre amp is made by glockenklang i think, really good quality ,the basic model was for me the worst from 5 or 6 sandbergs i try i recomend a normal sandberg california with a mm pick up and a single coil on the neck you get enough versatility with that combination.
i agree a stingray have a great tone but just not my thing.
if you look for another option and the money ist not an issue just buy a lakland 44-94 or 44-15 :rolleyes: good luck with your new bass cheers

Edited by busccini

Sandberg is a brand I have no experience with, they're not common in the US, but I am getting one sent to me for a review in Bass Player, look forward to trying it. I'm a big MM fan, and really... I haven't found anything else that tries to sound like one that succeeds. But if you're still trying to decide.... don't forget about Leo's other progeny... G&L!

• 7 months later...

I have a MM Stingray 5 which I love to play live, but have jut borrowed my mate's Sandberg California 4 for recording as the MM is very hot and aggressive. I prefer the Sandberg for range of tone and studio. Fairly similar in terms of playability though.

A nice problem to have! Really, you can't go wrong with either, but here are a few more opinions for what little they are worth:

Build quality: no difference - both are absolutely top notch.

Playability: again, both are fabulous, but here's an important difference between the two: the Sandberg neck is quite a lot shallower than the Stingray. For me, this would tip the decision towards the Ray, as I prefer chunkier necks that keep my thumb firmly on the back, but you may prefer the thinner feel of the Sandberg.

Sound: as others have said, the Stingray has a more distinctive sound, and it is true that it needs a bit more taming than the Sandberg if you are recording with it, but I don't go along with the 'Rays are a one-trick pony' thing. The Ray is a lot more versatile than it is often given credit for, especially in a live band situation. In another thread on here I recall someone describing the Ray as a 'swiss army knife' for live band playing, and I think that is absolutely right. Having said that, the Sandberg is a great and versatile live bass, too - can't go wrong either way.

So … try them both and pick the one that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. For me, the Ray always wins in this test - and I say this as someone who owns a Sandberg (a JM4, not a Basic) and loves it. The Sandberg looks great, plays great and sounds great, but every time I plug in the Ray I get the same "[i]Whoah,[/i] [i]f**k yeah[/i]!' thrill that no other bass seems to be able to deliver.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1406461697' post='2511597']
And the EBMM forum is full of psychos.
[/quote]

Bwahahahahahaha (screams manically)..........

I would say if you lust after a Ray then nothing else is going to scratch that itch.

I've played two gigs today - one with a 2 band Ray and one with a Bongo - both were fabulous but the 2 band Classic Ray is soooooo good!!

Liked everything about my Stingray but just didn't love anything about it. Great looking, well built and sounded good but since selling I've never missed it.

Tried a Sandberg VM4 and was instantly in love with the sound and feel, unfortunately that bass had some QC issues and I really hope they do a better job with the replacement.