Why become a member? ×

Three new reggae tracks

Roland Rock

Further to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173984-first-demo-from-skareggae-originals-band/page__hl__ujahm__fromsearch__1"]first three-track demo[/url] we did ages ago, we've done another three songs.
Recorded at Paper Stone Studios in Nottingham, it was good fun, but lots of fiddling was done with the mixes, and the singer has announced that she wants to re-record the vocals! These, therefore, are the 'not fit for public consumption' versions, but I see no harm in getting a bit of BC feedback :)

Any 'performance errors' will have been well and truly noted already, so please don't rub it in :lol:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/christopher-brown-48/ujahm-lollipop"]Lollipop[/url]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/christopher-brown-48/ujahm-bottomless-shoes"]Bottomless Shoes[/url]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/christopher-brown-48/ujahm-bombarder"]Bombarder[/url]

Edited by Roland Rock

I think it will be Bombarder that makes her want to rerecord the vox. But otherwise they sound lovely.

My main problem is the bass. It's too present, it's a bit overwhelming, it should sound big without BEING big, if you know what I mean, too much subs. For me it detracts from the vocal performance. That's not a big criticism, I love what you do, you play beautifully, languid or urgent as needs arise, highly accomplished.

I think you should trust your singer, she knows. But you can go too far with these things and not know when to leave sh*t alone. I hope she wants to redo the vocal for the right reasons.

I love it though mate, it's excellent! Thanks for posting the songs :)

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1385253399' post='2286238']
through earphones they sound well balanced bass just right ,maybe through studio monitors or good speakers its more subby but im not getting to much bass for reggae
[/quote]
I'm listening through Senn earbuds, it's way deeper than any music I have, including dub and reggae.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1385244945' post='2286148']
real nice stuff ,loving it, did you D.I.out ,and mik the amp to get your sound,and are you using flats or rounds?
[/quote]

Hi, thanks for the comments.
Yes, there were two bass tracks - miked up amp and DI straight to desk. We adjusted the balance between the two in the mix:

Lollipop: P bass with flats. a 50/50 mix of tracks
Bottomless Shoes: Ergon with rounds. Mix approx 80/20 in favour of DI to desk
Bombarder: Ergon with rounds again. Mix approx 80/20 in favour of amp track

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1385252680' post='2286228']
I think it will be Bombarder that makes her want to rerecord the vox. But otherwise they sound lovely.

My main problem is the bass. It's too present, it's a bit overwhelming, it should sound big without BEING big, if you know what I mean, too much subs. For me it detracts from the vocal performance. That's not a big criticism, I love what you do, you play beautifully, languid or urgent as needs arise, highly accomplished.

I think you should trust your singer, she knows. But you can go too far with these things and not know when to leave sh*t alone. I hope she wants to redo the vocal for the right reasons.

I love it though mate, it's excellent! Thanks for posting the songs :)
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the feedback Nigel.

I'm not sure what the singer has in mind, but I'm pretty confident in her vision and talent, so looking forward to it. Personally I'd love to hear Bombarder as a stripped back dub number with spare vocals dropping in and out, but I suppose that will be come in a future remix.

Re. Bass in the mix, do you mean all three songs? To us, Bombarder was the only one which took a bit of fiddling.
For previous mixes, when in the studio in front of their monitors, the bass sounded more balanced. Once played in a car/headphones/stereo etc, it just couldn't be heard well enough.
We added a bit more of the DI track for mids, and upped the levels somewhat, and the result was a bass which sounds deep yet balanced on my headphones, stereo and car, and the rest agreed It was a bit overpowering on the studio monitors. The rational was that the vast majority would not be listening on studio monitors.

Perhaps the quality of your headphones are such that they impart the subs too well! Perhaps we need to apply a high pass filter cutting off around 30Hz. I'll raise it and see what can be done. Thanks.

I'd be really interested to hear whether others find the bass overpowering on Bombarder, preferably stating what they are using to listen to it! I feel a poll coming on ;-)

just had a listen with some different earphones[closed back panasonic] which tend to be more bassy than sony's used preveiosly and kinda got Nigels point ,for me lollipop could come down a notch, bottomless shoes,spot on and bombarder maybe e.q. low end down a fraction ,but mostly what i noticed was how strong your stuff is .
think Im gonna be arming my pbass with some flats as well as the jazz when entering studio next! :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1385281297' post='2286280']
Thanks a lot for the feedback Nigel.

I'm not sure what the singer has in mind, but I'm pretty confident in her vision and talent, so looking forward to it. Personally I'd love to hear Bombarder as a stripped back dub number with spare vocals dropping in and out, but I suppose that will be come in a future remix.

Re. Bass in the mix, do you mean all three songs? To us, Bombarder was the only one which took a bit of fiddling.
For previous mixes, when in the studio in front of their monitors, the bass sounded more balanced. Once played in a car/headphones/stereo etc, it just couldn't be heard well enough.
We added a bit more of the DI track for mids, and upped the levels somewhat, and the result was a bass which sounds deep yet balanced on my headphones, stereo and car, and the rest agreed It was a bit overpowering on the studio monitors. The rational was that the vast majority would not be listening on studio monitors.

Perhaps the quality of your headphones are such that they impart the subs too well! Perhaps we need to apply a high pass filter cutting off around 30Hz. I'll raise it and see what can be done. Thanks.

I'd be really interested to hear whether others find the bass overpowering on Bombarder, preferably stating what they are using to listen to it! I feel a poll coming on ;-)
[/quote]

Yeah, for me the bass is a bit too big on all of them mate.

Otherwise, it's all lovely!

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1385334751' post='2287200']
just had a listen with some different earphones[closed back panasonic] which tend to be more bassy than sony's used preveiosly and kinda got Nigels point ,for me lollipop could come down a notch, bottomless shoes,spot on and bombarder maybe e.q. low end down a fraction ,but mostly what i noticed was how strong your stuff is .
think Im gonna be arming my pbass with some flats as well as the jazz when entering studio next! :)
[/quote]

Thanks a lot!
Thanks for the mix feedback, it's all being taken under consideration
The strings were pretty fresh status Hotwire flats - cheap and great

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1385339117' post='2287258']
I like it, I like the mix, I like the laid back deep roots feel.

Just compared it to one of my band's tracks and it makes ours sound thin:
[url="https://soundcloud.com/tacsiband/01-father-time-master"]https://soundcloud.com/tacsiband/01-father-time-master[/url]
[/quote]

Much appreciated, I always enjoy the Tacsi stuff you post. IIRC, yours was DIY recorded and mixed in your front room or something? Sounds pretty good to me!

• 2 years later...