Why become a member? ×

Violin!

paulieaudiobloom

Fantastic! Although there will probably be more many problems that I'll need help with, one in particular is driving me absolutely insane! I can't get a good sound from the E string! It's just coming out either really quiet or really scratchy. I've tried adjusting my bowing pressure and where I bow but can't can't get it right. Any tips would be great. I'm playing a £70 Stentor student thingy with steels btw :-)

I have often been described as a 'vile inist'. :)

There are a lot of things it could be, but I'd guess that you've used too much rosin and the quietness is because you're bowing that string gentler because it makes a scratchy noise.

Give the strings a wipe and lay off the rosin for a little while would be my first inclination.

I would recommend taking the fiddle to a shop to check the set up. A decent set of strings will help the playability and tone as well. Dominants seem to work well with a wide variety of fiddles. E strings can be funny. Kaplan does a "non-whistling" E string that is wound rather than a single strand. I would also get a decent rosin. Just got rid of my old Art dark rosin which was too grainy and sticky and went for Laubach Gold-an absolute revelation. Much smoother and cleaner

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread I hope no one minds me asking a couple of basic questions here.
I got my son a cheap violin (£50 off Amazon although I got it in the Black Friday deals for a lot,less) and neither he nor I have any clue about these things. Even setting the bridge up was a shock.
Anyway, I managed to break the low string when tuning it up so need to get a new one. Rather than just 1 string I figured a new set might be in order, but have no idea what to get. Any recommendations on a new set for a beginner would be most welcome.

The other, more embarrassing question is how on earth do you get any sound out of these things lol. I followed the instructions and spent about 20 mins rubbing the rosin on the bow but still it just seems to slide over the strings rather than grip them and make a noise.

I am going to do some more research once we have a full set of stings but seeing as quite a few members here know what's what I thought I'd start off here.

Cheers.

As far as strings are concerned, go to any decent music strings and ask for a set, they'll quote a range of prices and pick one in the middle. Personal preference is for D'Addario Preludes which run to about £15 a set which is towards the bottom end of the market for decent strings.

Rosin is strange stuff and not all rosins are created equal. The traditional way for a first application was to crush some rosin onto a hard surface, take the frog off so the hair is all lose and work the hairs through the crushed rosin. I've only ever done this once, long ago, nowadays the following seems to be the norm.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8UsIwa-BhQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8UsIwa-BhQ[/url]

Have fun

Steve

Not exactly a violin player here. I've had one tucked away for years now, but never got round to learning to play. Now it's time for it to go alas:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/225808-violin-c-j-gurnsey-dated-1929/"]Violin, C J Gurnsey, dated 1929[/url]

I did manage to get some pizzicato notes out of it, but not having a bow proved a bit of a handicap really. :( I'd love this instrument to go to a home where it will get used. Proceeds to fund further improvements to it's big sister, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217463-matilda-is-back-home/page__view__findpost__p__2215416"]Matilda[/url].

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1388422617' post='2321810']
As far as strings are concerned, go to any decent music strings and ask for a set, they'll quote a range of prices and pick one in the middle. Personal preference is for D'Addario Preludes which run to about £15 a set which is towards the bottom end of the market for decent strings.

Rosin is strange stuff and not all rosins are created equal. The traditional way for a first application was to crush some rosin onto a hard surface, take the frog off so the hair is all lose and work the hairs through the crushed rosin. I've only ever done this once, long ago, nowadays the following seems to be the norm.

Have fun

Steve
[/quote]

Cheers Steve, that's exactly what I'm after. I feel lost in all this. I never realised D'Addario made these strings, I'll definitely give them a try.
That video will be a big help. I did notice the Rosin was very shiny and had a feeling it wasn't going on the bow as it should. I'll give that another go.
The violin has been pretty much left alone over Christmas but it would be a shame if we didn't give it a chance I guess. My son has said he doesn't want lessons, he just wants to try it himself, so I'll get it all set up for him and see what happens.

SS. Good luck with the sale. It does indeed seem a shame to keep something of that value just sitting around unplayed . That's my thinkng with basses, if I'm not using them then get rid of them if they are of a decent value. I keep a back up of of course.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1388577730' post='2323514']

My son has said he doesn't want lessons, he just wants to try it himself, so I'll get it all set up for him and see what happens.

[/quote]

In which make sure he checks out some of the youtube videos, especially on holding and using the bow.

Also the Gstring tuner app for smartphone is his friend, set it to autotune and make sure he periodically checks the note he thinks he's playing against the tuner. I still use it on double bass when I'm practising scales, it's very easy to turn your ear off and not realise your intonation is drifting :)

Steve

Thanks again Steve.

That video you posted really helped, and we now have sound, although im not sure thats a good thing at the moment :-).

Yep, youtube all the way for now.
I have a Peterson stroboclip tuner that works very well for this sort of thing, at only 9 years old he doesn't have a phone yet.