Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3...for guitar?

Spoombung

I'm thinking of killing two birds with one stone and purchasing this to use both with my bass and new guitar.

The main problem with recording the guitar at home is the lack of brightness, and generally dull sound so I'd mainly want it for a tonal boost and a bit of edge. Then I'm hoping it would also be useful for the bass.

Do you think it'll be okay for dual purpose?

Not tried to be honest, as I have a G3 and a B3. However I would assume that as long as you don't use any effects that alter the sound to much (and which you would assume would be tuned for the lower frequencies on the B3), it should be fine. However having both definitely gives you more flexibility.

Edited by DorsetBlue

I haven't used the B3, but I use a Zoom H4n recorder to practice guitar with headphones. Some of the bass amp simulations on the H4n sound good for guitar (particularly the Bassman and Superbass models) and I like them just as well as the "guitar" patches, so I'd guess that the amp simulations on the B3 would be as good or better than those.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

The B3 sounds great with guitar! - I've been using mine in the effects loop of a valve amp live in conjunction with the amp's distortion and clean channels. Very nice indeed. Recoding-wise for acoustic, there's a really nice patch that is superb for bringing out the fullness of a mic'd up instrument. The unit is just a brilliant swiss army knife for musicians.

One thing I notice about the B3/G3, is that on the B3, the ins/outs at the back are labelled with words across the top of the casing. On the G3, no words, just icons for each of them.

B3 - DC In. G3 - plug icon.
B3 - Power. G3 - power icon.
B3 - USB. G3 - USB icon.
B3 - Control In. G3 - expression pedal icon.
B3 - L-Output-R. G3 - headphone icon and speaker icon.
B3 - Balanced Out. G3 - icon of an XLR jack.
B3 - Input. G3 - picture of guitar.

Are Zoom suggesting guitarists can't read? :D

I own a G3 for use with the guitar and while I'm sure the B3 can do a job if you already have your own amp and 'sound', I find the biggest asset of the G3 is the amp simulations. In my opinion these do more to bring out brightness and edge in the guitar tone than the eqs.

Funny as I am thinking of doing this the other way round, i.e. using a bass through my G3.