Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood

jmstone

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new so I hope I'm not too late to reply to this topic.

As newbie bass player I'd like to know how he manages to get the sounds he needs in order to fulfill both the bass and guitar parts? I've seen it done the other way - guitar to sound like bass - is it the same sort of method? I love the tones in these songs!

He bi-amps through a bass rig and a guitar rig.

I assume he splits the signal at a certain frequency so that the lower frequencies are processed by the bass rig and the higher ones by the guitar rig and then blends it back together to create his incredible tone!

Truckstop

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1394919756' post='2396789']
He bi-amps through a bass rig and a guitar rig.

I assume he splits the signal at a certain frequency so that the lower frequencies are processed by the bass rig and the higher ones by the guitar rig and then blends it back together to create his incredible tone!

Truckstop
[/quote]
Aha, so that's how it is done. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1393404620' post='2379731']
Saw them last night. He had 2 Gretsch basses and a Fender Starcaster. Forget the basses though... that pedal setup and the sound he gets!! F**k me!

[/quote]

Can anyone work out the pedals on this rig?

I can see so far:[list]
[*]2x Electro Harmonic POGs
[*]2x Boss PS6s
[*]Boss GE7
[*]Boss TU3
[*]Strymon Flint Tremelo & Reverb
[/list]
Any ideas on the huge green one and the small one in the bottom corner?

Edited by NOTJORDANWALKER

[quote name='NOTJORDANWALKER' timestamp='1398334404' post='2432961']

Can anyone work out the pedals on this rig?

I can see so far:[list]
[*]2x Electro Harmonic POGs
[*]2x Boss PS6s
[*]Boss GE7
[*]Boss TU3
[*]Strymon Flint Tremelo & Reverb
[/list]
Any ideas on the huge green one and the small one in the bottom corner?
[/quote]

The small one is a Zvex Mastotron, a variation on the mammoth fuzz they do. Excellent pedal the gate can make it seriously punchy and stuttery for a fuzz.

The LS-2 looks to be there to split the chain up and each has a pig and harmonist on, I don't know if any is used for octave down, since the tunings I've hard are drop C.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='NOTJORDANWALKER' timestamp='1398339686' post='2433088']
So the LS-2 can keep both lines playing at once right? I know he cuts out the Bassy tones on some songs when he has a high guitar parts like in Little Monster.
[/quote]

The big green lump is a Palmer Triage, which is an amp switching pedal. I heard that he uses 3 different amps on stage, so presumably routes various signals to different amps using it.

Hi, I'm new to this site but after seeing this i had to join. After watching A LOT of live shows on youtube and studying this picture i think Iv'e estimated how he gets his tone. The chain starts with the bass his :
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]*Gretsch Electromatic Jnr Jet Bass II in Black[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]*Gretsch Electromatic Jnr Jet Bass II in Black - Tobacco Sunburst[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]these seem to be his main bass guitars one kept in drop D (for sure) and one a full step down (i think), he also uses a[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]*[/font][/color][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Fender Starcaster Bass 4-String Semi Acoustic Bass Guitar Black[/font][/color]
This is kept in Drop C with the other strings down a full step (probably because the Gretschs are small scale basses and cant cope with this low tuning)

Now to the pedalboard. The chain starts with his Boss tuner> then the PS-6 Harmonist (from the picture looks like its in the s;bend mode which will be how he gets those quick high +1octave sounds for solos ect..)> this then goes into the "palmer triage" which is where the signal splits into three
*1st output- goes to the Boss LS-2 this is the pedal he hits to cut the bass sound probably on A~bypass mode this then goes straight to the bass amp (as far as i know you cant here any gain on the "real" bass sound) the bass amp is an Ampeg 4x12"
*2nd output goes to a POG 2 which will be set for the "fake" guitar sound> this then goes to a Boss[font="sans-serif"][color="#252525"] GE-7 Graphic Equalizer, this is used to cut the low ends off and get a mid range sound its not kept on through the show, you can hear it on the breakdown on "Little Monster"- very good for build ups> this then goes into another Boss Harmonist which might be for a 5th or something but I'm guaranteed its to bend to an octave below ( so the "fake" guitar sounds like it is turning into a bass again MADNESS)> this then ends on the Strymon Flint reverb/tremolo this is just used for a bit of texture and feedback>this set up then finally goes to a guitar amp think its a vintage Fender amp.[/color][/font]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]*3rd output. Finally the last output goes to another POG 2 which will have similar settings to the other one> then goes to a [/font][/color][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Z.VEX Vextron Mastotron Fuzz probably on the whole gig , his amps probably have high gain settings too for more crunch.[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]I hope this has been a help, really loving this band at the moment.[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Finlay.[/font][/color]

Really enjoying Royal Blood, they remind me of one of my favourite bands ever: Death From Above 1979 which were also Bass and Drums only (sometimes sinth with synth parts).

Interesting setup to get the sound, similar concept to what I use when I play with my drummer as it is dificult to fill the sound with just a bass.

The Palmer Triage is a great tool for splitting your signal to several amps, highly recomended.

I wish them good luck with their new record deal and I see that they have some cool shows coming up, I will try to see them live.