Why become a member? ×

Giving up for winter

oggiesnr

As the weather gets colder it's not good news for my hands. My broken wrist from two years ago is aching and the arthritis in my thumbs is hurting. I can play for only a limited time without pain and I cannot hold a bow for more than a couple of minutes.

The complicating factor is that my living depends on my hands. Even in my warm workshop I'm finding it more difficult let alone when I'm working on the street..

Regretfully my living comes first so I'm going to have to cut back on other activities that stress my wrist and thumbs and music is one.

It looks as if for the next few months any instrument that requires thumb or wrist pressure is off the agenda so it's going to be moothie and tin whistle and maybe one of the squeeze boxes, double bass is out :(

Steve

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1385855853' post='2293011']
Tried gloves, matey? There are all kinds of medical ones for the circulation.

I broke my hand and arm years ago, and I can feel the cold right in the old breaks! Better than any weather forecast for knowing when snow is coming.
[/quote]

Neoprene gloves like anglers use are amazing. You can cut off the fingers. It's almost like they generate heat.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1385994355' post='2294383']
Neoprene gloves like anglers use are amazing. You can cut off the fingers. It's almost like they generate heat.
[/quote]

Useful tip from fatback there....
Hope you don't have to give up

I get so much pleasure from playing, I'd really miss it
Nothing better on a cold winters eve, than play about on a bass..

Good luck anyhow, and if you do try those gloves
let us know how you get on

Roll on spring anyway :)

• 1 month later...

Quick up date. My left hand is back functioning so long as I take it steady (simple bass lines R us). My right cannot hold a bow for any serious length of time without a lot of pain so I'm not doing arco at all.

Playing fewer notes does have a spin off as you have to think what notes you're going to play for maximum effect and you also have a fraction longer to think about it :)

Steve

That is good news! I wondered if you'd had a look at Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery? Following his regime you're only allowed to practice for five minutes a day anyway.

Back pain and visits to the bone cruncher mean that I have to restrict my practice at the moment. I got too impatient with Kenny Werner though, so I'm using the time to study music theory. After a while, it starts to make sense!