Why become a member? ×

What string dimensions to put on a beginner's electric guitar?

BassTractor

Can anyone advise what string dimensions would be best for a beginner? I have this vague notion that thickness and compliance would mean a lot for a beginner.

In this case, we're talking about a well set up guitar that plays very easily and reportedly is good for metal. Not a joke. It's an old Peavey Tracer II, and they seem to be really good guitars.
I can't judge that, but I did still immediately recognise that it was easy to play.

Any ideas gratefully received.

It's a hot topic, I'm sure, but the guitarists I play with in our band swear by 9-42s, even for drop D tuning. Makes it a lot easier when you come to bending those single notes. The majority of your 'metal' guitars also come strung with 9-42s off the shelf.

The other most used options tend to be your 10-46s or the hybrid packs that contain the heaviest three strings from a pack of 10s and the lightest three strings from a pack of 9s. As I understand it, it just means that your lead playing is helped out a bit while still giving a more rigid 4th, 5th and 6th string.

Thicker strings will give a better tone but will be harder on a beginner's fingers at first - more risk of 'it's too hard!'. Thinner strings will be easier to play and you could argue that niceties of tone are a bit out there for a beginner. A good piece of general advice IMHO is to choose the thickest strings that will allow the him/her to feel comfortable playing the guitar.

Edit: if Santa's bringing it then perhaps start with a set of standard 10's (none of this 'light top heavy bottom' stuff) and see how it goes (i.e. be prepared to drop to 9's or even 8's if necessary). You can always work your way back up at a later stage.

2nd edit - the student's age may also be a factor. If he/she is less than about 12 or 13 then the size of the guitar may be a bit of an issue, in which case definitely 10's - thinner strings will flex more easily and you'll get a lot of unintended string bending. Actually you'll probably get a bit of that anyway, but slightly less of a problem with thicker strings.

3rd edit. If you can afford it get a decent tutor. No, really... I won't bore you with the details, but money spent now will help avoid problems that need sorting later.

Edited by leftybassman392

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I meant the length!!!!!!!!
:D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Thanks for the responses, guys! This gives me the confidence that equipping it with a new set of the same (9-42) or slightly thicker will not be a major error. Great! I'll see what they have in stock tomorrow, and decide on the spot.

In this case it is me selling it, and trying to equip it so a beginner gets a good starting point. Experienced players will know what to do.

I agree about tutors. Strongly!

Thanks again!
bert

Edited by BassTractor

9-42 will be fine. Bear in mind that they will hurt a little until your beginner has built up some tiny calluses, a few hours should help. A virgin finger on a 9 gauge will feel like a cheese wire on your bellend, but that won't last long if they practice for 20 minutes a day.

Oddly, I find a nylon strung acoustic is best for building calluses, may be the heat that is generated through them.

D'Addario EXL nickel wound are cheap and excellent quality.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386008681' post='2294581']
D'Addario EXL nickel wound
[/quote]

Ha! Exactly what I think it has now, and I expect them to have them in stock too, as they always have a lot of D'Addario.
Thanks!

I'll approach the shop with some heavy duty knowledge now. (not)

In the grand scheme of things diameter really wont make too much of a difference. Someone taking up guitar will always have to go through the process of building up calluses and finger strength. The string tension, action and neck width/radius are probably more important factors to consider.

for a fender scale length 25.5" i'd go for 9's for a beginner, if it was a Gibson 24.75" then i'd possibly go up to 10's as the 9's can be a bit too soft. i started out with 9's on my superstrat but went to 10's after about 3 years when i bought an acoustic and strung it with 11's.

i'm now using the Newtone Heritage 12's on my acoustics and 10's on all my Fender Scale Guitars and 11's on the 335 copy. they all seem to feel fairly similar under the fingers.

Matt

learn bass first then guitar strings wont matter

I put 9s on my daughters acoustic, but she picks up and plays on anything else without really noticing the difference, so may as well not have bothered tailoring it to what is supposed to be easier to begin on.