Show some love for...Fender valve amps, lets see what you have.

67 replies to this topic

#31 wrinkleygit

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

in my younger fitter guitar playing days, fender twins were always my amp of choice, even the frowned upon red knobbed twin had a special place in my heart, always used this on the low power setting & it sang like a bird, these don't fetch the high prices of other versions so buy one now before people wake up to how good they really were. These days I use a roland cube 30x on the black face setting it's about the only thing I can lift with one hand & carry to the car without falling over !!!!! merry christmas , mike b.
Sei headless 5
Steinberger spirit 5

#32 dan2112

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

I picked this little beauty up a few weeks back (Fender Blues Junior)...15 watt, all valve with a Jensen speaker. Perfect for the house, though it does need to be quite loud for the valves to break up nicely.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:151049]
Gear List:
06 MIM Fender Jazz Bass |
'07 MIA Fender Precision bass |
'79 Peavey T-40 |
Squier Jazzmaster |

My Feedback

http://danwilliamsfoh.com

Also a freelance sound engineer you know

#33 njr911

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

I had a silverface Twin Reverb (1976) in the early 90's.

Was a wonderful thing until it got dropped out of the back of a truck by a courier. To be fair to him it was F£$%&ing heavy
Follow My Band:
t: @wearethenames
f: facebook.com/wearethenames

#34 randythoades

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:My Printing and graphic design company www.redeyeprint.co.uk
    Rockabilly / Blues / Country rock. Guitars and Bass of course!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Although not strictly full valve, i have a Fender Super champ x2 head with a Palmer 110 cab which i really like. Essentially a modelling amp with valve front end but still loud enough to gig rockabilly on the main 'straight through' channel and with the onboard dsp, i can add a touch of delay and not worry about my pedal board and just take a tuner. I have had a HRDX which i swapped for a Peavey Classic 30 as i found the gain a bit fizzy for me, and i borrowed but returned a Blues jr for the same reason. I had the SCXD before the X2 which had a bit more versatility if heavier tones were needed but i prefer the selection of tones on the X2 which are cleaner orientated and give great emulations of Various tweed and blackface models, my favourite being the actual Champ setting with a touch of grit to it. You can also just use it for monitoring as the Line out tones are actually very good.
Thomann European Slimline Upright bass
Kent Armstrong magnetic pickup
K+K Bassmax

1969 Aria Violin bass 1420b
1971 Aria Violin bass 1420b
1981 Aria Pro II TSB 350
Custom (home) build medium scale P-bass
Custom (home) build J-bass
Bassix EUB

Hartke HA3500
GK MB200
PJB D200
Ashdown VS112 cab + VS212 cab + VS115 cab
Trace Elliot Boxer 30 practice amp

Ohana Concert electro ukuele
Korala bass uke

More guitars and gadgets that I can list...or that my wife knows about.

www.junkshoptoys.net

Feedback

#35 jalapeno

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:GAS.

Classic Rock, Blues covers
    Jazz (Bebop onwards)
    Swing & Gypsy Jazz

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

PRRI - lovely

A s/h Blues Jnr (Sunburst one), with a Cannabis Rex speaker I keep at rehearsal space

A clone Chanp 5F1 with a Jensen 8" speaker.

Edited by jalapeno, 05 January 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#36 Tuco

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:It's all a load of b*llocks!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

http://Posted Image

Edited by Tuco, 05 January 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#37 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,614 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

I narrowly missed out on a Fender Concert (Rivera era) last week. But it had been modded for metal distortion...why the owner didn't get a Boogie for that is beyond me, but hey ho. I've been checking out vids of the Cornford Carrera this week and have been impressed by the sound of the 6v6 power valve. Remarkably Fender like...but the amps are more expensive than the Concert I'd been bidding on.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, FEA Labs Dual Band compressor, Future Impact bass synth, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#38 Jono Bolton

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:Playing the dad guitar

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Well, I can now join in properly with this thread, as I've just picked up a Fender Super 112, a massive 60W, 1X12 valve combo. I'd been trying to get hold of the seller for ages and only recently had a reply from him, so I went round and checked it out today.

The clean channel is brilliant, the drive channel not so much, and there's no master volume to balance the two so there's a huge jump when the drive is kicked in.

It's heavy as hell, and incredibly loud, so I'll have to get an attenuator of some sort to be able to drive the tubes at low volume.

Despite these niggles, I actually really like it, I mainly bought it on the strength of the clean sound, it's nice with my SG. Pics will follow once I've given it a clean!
Currently abusing:
Squier Matt Freeman Precision
Peavey Mark IV Head
Peavey 2x15 Cab

www.falsehopeshxc.bandcamp.com

#39 Kiwi

• Administrators
  • 9,614 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Got any pics/vids? I've seen them for sale as well and wondered what the clean sound was like.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, FEA Labs Dual Band compressor, Future Impact bass synth, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#40 Jono Bolton

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostKiwi, on 10 January 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Got any pics/vids? I've seen them for sale as well and wondered what the clean sound was like.

Nothing at the minute sorry, I'll try and get something sorted tomorrow, it needs a clean first.

The clean sound's very nice, I'm using it with an SG but I imagine it'd sound best with singlecoils. Apparently with these amps there's very little break up when it's cranked up, but I've yet to test those claims out.
Currently abusing:
Peavey Mark IV Head
Peavey 2x15 Cab

#41 Jono Bolton

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I gave the amp a clean yesterday evening but waited until today to take some pictures in the natural light. Going over it there were a few little rips in the vinyl but nothing major. The volume knob has been replaced so I'll try to source a proper red knob for it. I think it could do with a service, some of the pots are very scratchy, but everything else seems to work fine. As far as I can tell though, the presence knob does nothing. I've got the bass and mid set to 6 and the treble to 7, and the clean sound really is excellent, even with my cheapy Epiphone SG. The reverb is very subtle, it just adds a tiny amount of spank to the sound.

The reviews for the Fender red knobs either fell in the "Great" or "Terrible" camps, but the one constant was that these amps are unbearably loud, and that's definitely true! I actually have the volume knob pointing at the top of the 0, and it's still very loud for home use if you really dig in. I don't even bother with the drive channel, I can't find any setting that's useable at home, even as low as it can be, the windows are shaking. I can bypass that with a decent stomp box though.

Overall though, I really like the sound, the only real problem is that I can't stop looking at Telecasters, I think this would really sing with singlecoils instead of humbuckers.

Edited by Jono Bolton, 12 January 2014 - 11:33 PM.

Currently abusing:
Peavey Mark IV Head
Peavey 2x15 Cab

#42 Dave Vader

post-womble-deathcore hoedowns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Interests:are things which interest you

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

looks just like mine Jono. Though mine had the guts rewired to sort the drive channel, and some other stuff.
Great amps.

#43 Jono Bolton

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostDave Vader, on 13 January 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

looks just like mine Jono. Though mine had the guts rewired to sort the drive channel, and some other stuff.
Great amps.

I agree Dave, I'm really pleased with it. I only paid 150 for it as well, they can be picked up really cheap. I think the only difference between the Super 60 and the Super 112 is the size of the cabinet, the Super 112 has a larger footprint, the Super 60 is a bit smaller. To be honest, I think I'd rather have the Super 60, this is a bit of a beast to lug about!
Currently abusing:
Peavey Mark IV Head
Peavey 2x15 Cab

#44 Dave Vader

post-womble-deathcore hoedowns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Interests:are things which interest you

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Got mine for £200 a year ago, clearly i was robbed ;)

#45 Jono Bolton

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

There was a Super 60 on Gumtree Glasgow at the same time as my 112 was posted, and the fella was looking for 300! There's a red knob Twin on eBay just now for 425 I think, I think 150-200 is the going rate for the Supers as there's not a huge demand for them. They can be had for peanuts in the US though!
Currently abusing:
Peavey Mark IV Head
Peavey 2x15 Cab

#46 Kiwi

• Administrators
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

Does it use 6L6 or 6V6 tubes?

#47 Jono Bolton

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostKiwi, on 28 January 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

Does it use 6L6 or 6V6 tubes?

6L6 as far as I know, there's lots of info on the Super 60, 112 & 210 on here, including some very interesting email from the designers:

http://www.tdpri.com...210-owners.html
Currently abusing:
Peavey Mark IV Head
Peavey 2x15 Cab

#48 Lasermonkey

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

I have a '75 Silverface Twin Reverb which I've had since '92. I can't see me ever wanting to part with it.
I had to replace the filter caps a few years ago, but other than that, it's been very reliable. It's insanely loud too!
One transistor too many.

#49 Kiwi

• Administrators
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

I did a bit of Youtube surfing yesterday - the Fender 30 and 60 combos (around 1980) have the Fender sound and (in the US at least) seem to be ridiculously cheap.

#50 H_Bass

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Guitars. Amps. Pedals. Curly cables.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

I'm a guitar player mainly *ducks*, and I love the sound of Fender tweed and blackface amps. I couldn't find anything I liked in the shops, so I built my own: a 5E3 type and a Vibrolux Reverb.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
'03 Heritage H-535 ASB, '90 Heritage H-150CM ASB, '91 Heritage Eagle ASB, '12 PRS Swamp Ash Studio,
'04 Gibson Hummingbird, Squier P90 Tele, Squier Precision Bitsa-Bass, Ovation Celebrity, ElectraBird Custom
Self-built Tweed Deluxe - 'The Limey', Self-built brownface Vibrolux Reverb

Posted ImagePosted Image

#51 OldG

sinistral

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:sex and drugs and rock and roll...

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

Posted Image

Wow!!!

Posted Image
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery - none but ourselves can free our minds...

Nesta Robert Marley (6 February 1945 – 11 May 1981)

#52 Jono Bolton

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostOldG, on 01 March 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

Wow!!!

Posted Image

What he said! Very nice job!

Edited by Jono Bolton, 01 March 2014 - 03:36 PM.

Currently abusing:
Peavey Mark IV Head
Peavey 2x15 Cab

#53 H_Bass

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Guitars. Amps. Pedals. Curly cables.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thanks :) When I'm retired I'm going to build them for money.
'03 Heritage H-535 ASB, '90 Heritage H-150CM ASB, '91 Heritage Eagle ASB, '12 PRS Swamp Ash Studio,
'04 Gibson Hummingbird, Squier P90 Tele, Squier Precision Bitsa-Bass, Ovation Celebrity, ElectraBird Custom
Self-built Tweed Deluxe - 'The Limey', Self-built brownface Vibrolux Reverb

Posted ImagePosted Image

#54 The Saint

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Location:Languedoc, France. Over 300 days of sunshine a year...... Sweet....!!

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Those amps look superb and I'm sure they sound just as good....

One day........!!
Lots of guitars.

Too many...

#55 leftybassman392

Vogon Poet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography, Cars, Computer Gaming, Mathematics.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

I've had two Fender combos over the years. The first was a reissue of the '63 Vibroverb Brownface, which I bought in the early '90's if memory serves - original circuit layout - Oxford speakers, the lot! It sounded fabulous and looked cooler than ice in a freezer. Unfortunately, with the '60's spec came '60's reliability. After it went through it's second power transformer in as many months I decided to unload it. However, while it was away being repaired for the first time the shop (Musical Exchanges - anybody remember them?) lent me an old Twin they had laying around - quite possibly the heaviest amp I've ever owned :blink: , but loud?... don't talk to me about loud! Unbelievable! It is still indelibly etched in my memory even after 20 years, and seems destined to remain so - until the Alzheimer's sets in of course. :rolleyes:
“We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self destruction.” Suzanne Collins.

Stuff that makes the music:
2009 Shuker Jazz 5 L/H
2003 SeiBass Original headless 5 L/H

Stuff that makes the noise:
GenzBenz Streamliner 600/ Vanderkley EXT112

My Feedback thread is HERE

#56 Kiwi

• Administrators
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

I noticed Rob Harris at the LBGS was playing through a new Fender Princeton Reverb. It wasn't lacking in volume for 15w and sounded pleasantly fat although the treble was a little sparkly.

#57 Bassnut62

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Interests:I run a 6-9 piece disco/funk band in Notts. Let me know if you want a party band for a function or event - we travel thru East Midlands. Thanks

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

seems there are lots of pics of non-Fenders in this Fender post....

here's a proper collection of nearly all Fender amps! The only ones I own are the Blues Junior, the MusicMan and the Bassman head & cab.

I reckon the MusicMan is allowed as it is a Fender design and Leo did own the company at the time
"Make my funk the P Funk....I want to get funked up!" (George Clinton, c.1974)

Band: https://www.facebook.com/discoprophets

[u]Feedback:
http://basschat.co.u...4109-bassnut62/

[u]Gear:
More than Mrs Bassnut knows about.....

#58 Chiliwailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

This pic was taken back in 2007.

I had 1956 and 1959 Champs, they sounded so lovely in stereo. I also had the matching Champ lap steel for the 1956 Champ but sold the lot, including the pedals, in around 2010 when I was preparing to buy a flat and not playing as much guitar as in my 20's.

#59 Skezza

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Guitars , Bikes, Beer and Basses

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

60s champ
70s vibro cahmp
60s vibrochamp
superchamp x3
princeton reverb 2
deluxe reverb 2
75 x2
pro reverb
twin reverb

I now have a silverface delux reverb

loved them all
Bass Collection SB 315 Active (matt purple)
Bass Collection SB 315 Active (black)

Fender Aerodyne Jazz (Black)
----------------------------------------
TCE RH750
TCE BG250 208

TCE RS210
TCE RS212
------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Feedback Thread http://basschat.co.u...for-skezza/page

#60 bassbiscuits

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:Basses, guitars and singing in equal doses, drawing and painting, astronomy, attempting to be a responsible parent

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:00 PM

Mine's a Hot Rod Deluxe for a few years back which is a special edition with a Jensen P12n speaker. I had an older blues deluxe which was never the same after a repair so this was a welcome replacement.

Sounds great. Just swapped the whole set of oldish valves for a set of JJ valves and it sounded the dogs danglies when I gigged it last weekend.

I run it on clean channel with a Mooer hustle drive and pure boost providing varying degrees of gain, then hit lead channel for lead boost.

Paired with a HSS strat it sounds great. Happy days!

Edited by bassbiscuits, 20 November 2015 - 03:40 PM.

View my feedback here: http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2973577

Instruments: Fender 1970 Precision, Epiphone Jack Casady, Yamaha BB604, plus some electric and acoustic guitars and harmonicas
Amplifiers: Aguilar and Schroeder cabs, Markbass and Fender amps
Other: Various fingers, thumbs, tapping feet, nods, winks, desperate facial expressions and often wildly-ambitious cues to the drummer…

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users