Why become a member? ×

Show some love for...Fender valve amps, lets see what you have.

Kiwi

I don't have any pics but I own a 5w Fender Champion for home use and the near essential Blues Jr that I usually bully guitarists into using for pub gigs. It's currently being used by the guitarist in my rockabilly band. It's really versatile. Both are upgraded courtesy of Watford Valves with new speakers, better tubes and in the case of the Jr a really cool reverb tank. A shame as my sideline into guitar playing only lasted a few years before I returned to bass so I have this kit that is virtually idle but don't wish to sell.

I like the Blackface and Silverface Fenders a lot, but couldn't afford the sort of price the originals or reissues go for. I got around this by building my own, which is a copy of a blackface Princeton Reverb as far the the circuitry goes, but with much more homemade looking cosmetics. There are some pics in another thread on here; [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/203145-valve-amplifiers-only-no-hybrids-valve-pre-amps/page__view__findpost__p__2039969"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/203145-valve-amplifiers-only-no-hybrids-valve-pre-amps/page__view__findpost__p__2039969[/url]

I play at home through this lovely Fender Bassman, 18W all valve combo. It's got such a beautiful tone, it's my favourite amp, but sadly it's just not loud enough for gigs with my blues band. Perfect for a smaller, quieter outfit, practising or recording, but sadly I don't do much of any of that. Sounds great with guitar as well. It's point to point, from the Rivera era and is a cracker.

I actually sold it earlier this year but got it back when there seemed to be problems with the electrics. It works fine for me at home, so actually quite glad I got it back.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:129706]

Nearly all the guitarists I've played with in the last 20 years have used valve Fender combos, but I haven't seen a bass player using Fender amps since I gave my Dual Showman rig to the keyboard player in 1973.

He gave me his Hiwatt stack, so I reckon I got the best end of the deal.

No photos atm (will get some sorted) but:

1966 BF Bassman
1973 SF Princeton NR
[s]1978 SF Pro Reverb (just died on me)[/s]

... and Paul Rivera's (mostly successful) post-Fender take on a Deluxe on steroids, the R55/12.

Edited by skankdelvar

I have a beautiful Fender Custom Shop Princeton reverb in Orange and with a 12" Vintage 30 speaker it is quite simply the loveliest guitar amp ever made.

I also have a recent Fender Super Champ XD which is an amazingly good little amp for the money, I understand now why Fender's small amps were so highly regarded

+ one for the Super Champ XD..

Bought mine in Cash Converters a few months back and love it to bits. I really only use the first channel and for what I paid it would be difficult to beat. Small and light enough to pop in the boot for a jam, but loud enough to keep up. Would get lost in anything other than a very small gig, but it just sounds so good....

Keep eying up the Blues Junior but can't really justify the cost.

Graham

I had a Blues Jr that I picked up second hand for about £200, though that was about 8 years ago now. It was a great wee amp, lovely tones, even with the crap selection of guitars I had at the time. My only criticism is that there was no line out for an extension can, but that's a feature on the new models.

I've been looking at getting a new Blues Jr but can't quite afford it, but I think I've found something altogether more interesting, watch this space!

I've got a blues jr. and I really like the clean tone of it, but I've been thinking of shifting it on for a bit, cos I'm just not a guitarist, no matter how much I try ;)

Guitarist in my last band had a fender twin, and that sounded lovely, but the valves kept dropping out. Doh!

Bassman 100 somewhere in late 70s / early 80s. Great amp, another one I should have kept. Princeton II valve combo, all point to point wiring, absolute bargain. Developed a rattle / buzz that I could never sort. Another I should have kept. Current is red knob super 60. Nice but weights a ton, MDF box :(

I love Fender tone and still use a Silverface Bassman 135 for bass.
I have a Blues Junior Tweed, with some v nice vintage tubes in it and swapped the horrible reissue Jensen C12N speaker out for an Emminence Cannabis Rex - the amp sounds quite nice now for guitar. I am not blown away by this amp though.
Best guitar amp for Fender tone I have found so far is my MusicMan RD112sixtyfive. I upgraded the speaker to an OEM EV12ML, which is the same upgrade you could get from factory when new and this amp has come alive - it is wonderfully clean with all that sparkle. It takes pedals really well too.

Had a red knob "evil" twin for years, loved it, but it was way too loud so i traded it in for a Vox instead.

have now got another red-knob fender, which is like a twin cut in half, and currently so pickle brained that i can't remember what it's called.
It is drowning in my leaky studio, so probably best i forget about it.... :(

Think it's a super 60? Had lots of work done on it to make it sound more like a twin. it worked.

My Flynn Amps 5E3 Tweed Deluxe with the Andy Summers Tele I made.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/Andy%20Summers%20tribute%20Tele/3FE25885-C3BF-4803-BA67-C9CF413520B2-759-000000E38313D1A1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/Andy%20Summers%20tribute%20Tele/3FE25885-C3BF-4803-BA67-C9CF413520B2-759-000000E38313D1A1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/Flynn%20Amps%20Tweed%20Deluxe/22b0087f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/Flynn%20Amps%20Tweed%20Deluxe/22b0087f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by kevin_lindsay