Why become a member? ×

Show some love for...Fender valve amps, lets see what you have.

Kiwi

[attachment=150899:5wChamp.jpg]

My 5w Fender Champion that I let guitarists use when they come over to jam. The amp was upgraded by Watford Valves with a better Jensen speaker and some new tubes. I tend to go through that little solid state Vox amp next to it, hence the bass in the picture.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1387812243' post='2316005']
Had a red knob "evil" twin for years, loved it, but it was way too loud so i traded it in for a Vox instead.

have now got another red-knob fender, which is like a twin cut in half, and currently so pickle brained that i can't remember what it's called.
It is drowning in my leaky studio, so probably best i forget about it.... :(

Think it's a super 60? Had lots of work done on it to make it sound more like a twin. it worked.
[/quote]

The "something more interesting" I mentioned earlier in the thread was a Fender Super 112 from the same range as the Super 60, but as yet the seller on Gumtree hasn't replied to any of the 10 or so emails I've sent him, so it looks like that's a no go :(

I had a fender twin reverb for a while and it was a thing of beauty but there is nowhere that it wasn't too loud for. Turning it down was fine but it just got gradually louder over time so unless you left it on for about two hours to warm up properly you had to keep constantly turning it down!

And it helped if you had people to lift it for you too!

in my younger fitter guitar playing days, fender twins were always my amp of choice, even the frowned upon red knobbed twin had a special place in my heart, always used this on the low power setting & it sang like a bird, these don't fetch the high prices of other versions so buy one now before people wake up to how good they really were. These days I use a roland cube 30x on the black face setting it's about the only thing I can lift with one hand & carry to the car without falling over !!!!! merry christmas , mike b.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I picked this little beauty up a few weeks back (Fender Blues Junior)...15 watt, all valve with a Jensen speaker[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]. Perfect for the house, though it does need to be quite loud for the valves to break up nicely.[/font][/color]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:151049]

Although not strictly full valve, i have a Fender Super champ x2 head with a Palmer 110 cab which i really like. Essentially a modelling amp with valve front end but still loud enough to gig rockabilly on the main 'straight through' channel and with the onboard dsp, i can add a touch of delay and not worry about my pedal board and just take a tuner. I have had a HRDX which i swapped for a Peavey Classic 30 as i found the gain a bit fizzy for me, and i borrowed but returned a Blues jr for the same reason. I had the SCXD before the X2 which had a bit more versatility if heavier tones were needed but i prefer the selection of tones on the X2 which are cleaner orientated and give great emulations of Various tweed and blackface models, my favourite being the actual Champ setting with a touch of grit to it. You can also just use it for monitoring as the Line out tones are actually very good.

I narrowly missed out on a Fender Concert (Rivera era) last week. But it had been modded for metal distortion...why the owner didn't get a Boogie for that is beyond me, but hey ho. I've been checking out vids of the Cornford Carrera this week and have been impressed by the sound of the 6v6 power valve. Remarkably Fender like...but the amps are more expensive than the Concert I'd been bidding on.

Well, I can now join in properly with this thread, as I've just picked up a Fender Super 112, a massive 60W, 1X12 valve combo. I'd been trying to get hold of the seller for ages and only recently had a reply from him, so I went round and checked it out today.

The clean channel is brilliant, the drive channel not so much, and there's no master volume to balance the two so there's a huge jump when the drive is kicked in.

It's heavy as hell, and incredibly loud, so I'll have to get an attenuator of some sort to be able to drive the tubes at low volume.

Despite these niggles, I actually really like it, I mainly bought it on the strength of the clean sound, it's nice with my SG. Pics will follow once I've given it a clean!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1389376796' post='2333620']
Got any pics/vids? I've seen them for sale as well and wondered what the clean sound was like.
[/quote]

Nothing at the minute sorry, I'll try and get something sorted tomorrow, it needs a clean first.

The clean sound's very nice, I'm using it with an SG but I imagine it'd sound best with singlecoils. Apparently with these amps there's very little break up when it's cranked up, but I've yet to test those claims out.

I gave the amp a clean yesterday evening but waited until today to take some pictures in the natural light. Going over it there were a few little rips in the vinyl but nothing major. The volume knob has been replaced so I'll try to source a proper red knob for it. I think it could do with a service, some of the pots are very scratchy, but everything else seems to work fine. As far as I can tell though, the presence knob does nothing. I've got the bass and mid set to 6 and the treble to 7, and the clean sound really is excellent, even with my cheapy Epiphone SG. The reverb is very subtle, it just adds a tiny amount of spank to the sound.

The reviews for the Fender red knobs either fell in the "Great" or "Terrible" camps, but the one constant was that these amps are unbearably loud, and that's definitely true! I actually have the volume knob pointing at the top of the 0, and it's still very loud for home use if you really dig in. I don't even bother with the drive channel, I can't find any setting that's useable at home, even as low as it can be, the windows are shaking. I can bypass that with a decent stomp box though.

Overall though, I really like the sound, the only real problem is that I can't stop looking at Telecasters, I think this would really sing with singlecoils instead of humbuckers.

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1389615266' post='2336063']
looks just like mine Jono. Though mine had the guts rewired to sort the drive channel, and some other stuff.
Great amps.
[/quote]

I agree Dave, I'm really pleased with it. I only paid £150 for it as well, they can be picked up really cheap. I think the only difference between the Super 60 and the Super 112 is the size of the cabinet, the Super 112 has a larger footprint, the Super 60 is a bit smaller. To be honest, I think I'd rather have the Super 60, this is a bit of a beast to lug about!

There was a Super 60 on Gumtree Glasgow at the same time as my 112 was posted, and the fella was looking for £300! There's a red knob Twin on eBay just now for £425 I think, I think £150-200 is the going rate for the Supers as there's not a huge demand for them. They can be had for peanuts in the US though!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1390894909' post='2350885']
Does it use 6L6 or 6V6 tubes?
[/quote]

6L6 as far as I know, there's lots of info on the Super 60, 112 & 210 on here, including some very interesting email from the designers:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owners-clubs/200003-fender-super-60-112-210-owners.html

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a guitar player mainly [i]*ducks*[/i], and I love the sound of Fender tweed and blackface amps. I couldn't find anything I liked in the shops, so I built my own: a 5E3 type and a Vibrolux Reverb.

[URL=http://s824.photobucket.com/user/HowardND/media/5E3%20Tweed%20Deluxe%20Build/a562b42f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/HowardND/5E3%20Tweed%20Deluxe%20Build/a562b42f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s824.photobucket.com/user/HowardND/media/5E3%20Tweed%20Deluxe%20Build/5191b3b5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/HowardND/5E3%20Tweed%20Deluxe%20Build/5191b3b5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s824.photobucket.com/user/HowardND/media/5E3%20Tweed%20Deluxe%20Build/d0051007.jpg.html][IMG]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/HowardND/5E3%20Tweed%20Deluxe%20Build/d0051007.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s824.photobucket.com/user/HowardND/media/Vibrolux%20build/null-18.jpg.html][IMG]http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/HowardND/Vibrolux%20build/null-18.jpg[/IMG][/URL]