Why become a member? ×

Show some love for...Fender valve amps, lets see what you have.

Kiwi

I've had two Fender combos over the years. The first was a reissue of the '63 Vibroverb Brownface, which I bought in the early '90's if memory serves - original circuit layout - Oxford speakers, the lot! It sounded fabulous and looked cooler than ice in a freezer. Unfortunately, with the '60's spec came '60's reliability. After it went through it's second power transformer in as many months I decided to unload it. However, while it was away being repaired for the first time the shop (Musical Exchanges - anybody remember them?) lent me an old Twin they had laying around - quite possibly the heaviest amp I've ever owned :blink: , but loud?... don't talk to me about loud! Unbelievable! It is still indelibly etched in my memory even after 20 years, and seems destined to remain so - until the Alzheimer's sets in of course. :rolleyes:

I noticed Rob Harris at the LBGS was playing through a new Fender Princeton Reverb. It wasn't lacking in volume for 15w and sounded pleasantly fat although the treble was a little sparkly.

• 5 weeks later...

seems there are lots of pics of non-Fenders in this Fender post....

here's a proper collection of nearly all Fender amps! The only ones I own are the Blues Junior, the MusicMan and the Bassman head & cab.

I reckon the MusicMan is allowed as it is a Fender design and Leo did own the company at the time

• 1 month later...

This pic was taken back in 2007.

I had 1956 and 1959 Champs, they sounded so lovely in stereo. I also had the matching Champ lap steel for the 1956 Champ but sold the lot, including the pedals, in around 2010 when I was preparing to buy a flat and not playing as much guitar as in my 20's.

[attachment=162479:khg 005.jpg]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Mine's a Hot Rod Deluxe for a few years back which is a special edition with a Jensen P12n speaker. I had an older blues deluxe which was never the same after a repair so this was a welcome replacement.

Sounds great. Just swapped the whole set of oldish valves for a set of JJ valves and it sounded the dogs danglies when I gigged it last weekend.

I run it on clean channel with a Mooer hustle drive and pure boost providing varying degrees of gain, then hit lead channel for lead boost.

Paired with a HSS strat it sounds great. Happy days!

Edited by bassbiscuits

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Skezza' timestamp='1444040067' post='2879604']
60s champ
70s vibro cahmp
60s vibrochamp
superchamp x3
princeton reverb 2
deluxe reverb 2
75 x2
pro reverb
twin reverb

I now have a silverface delux reverb

[/quote]
How many of those amps had valve rectifiers?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll have to fish out a pic of my Fender. Early 90's Champ 25 - was only around for a couple of years, a bit of an oddity as it's a solid state preamp, but a valve PI and valve power section (25w from a pair of 6L6) into a 1x12. It's REALLY bloody loud and very clean. Seen people describe it as a "mini Twin".

As per usual, the drive channel is a bit iffy. It's got tons too much gain on tap, with the gain right off I get some nice breakup tones with a Tele, but anything with humbuckers is just too much. Clean channel is ace though.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1455207696' post='2977079']
I'll have to fish out a pic of my Fender. Early 90's Champ 25 - was only around for a couple of years, a bit of an oddity as it's a solid state preamp, but a valve PI and valve power section (25w from a pair of 6L6) into a 1x12. It's REALLY bloody loud and very clean. Seen people describe it as a "mini Twin".

As per usual, the drive channel is a bit iffy. It's got tons too much gain on tap, with the gain right off I get some nice breakup tones with a Tele, but anything with humbuckers is just too much. Clean channel is ace though.
[/quote]

I had one of those for a couple of years. I liked mine, but it was definitely the sort of amp where you run it clean and use pedals. I found that the reverb on mine was very much improved by fitting a full length type 9 pan rather than the short one that's in there.

• 5 months later...