Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB750

elliotminor

Hi, I have just recently purchased an Aguilar DB750 to use with my two GS410's, WITHOUT trying it out first.
Now I know this is a definate no no, however my old setup was a DB659 with a power amp. I loved the tone, its just the power amp wasn't loud enough, so instead of buying a new power amp i decided to go the full whack and get the DB750, which according to nearly everyone ive spoken to, is effectively the DB659 with a massive power section. (ive heard great reports on the power section of this amp, so many people wishing aguilar would make it into a power amp so that it could be used with a different pre.)

Don't get me wrong, this thing is LOUD, its just I seem to get quite a harsh sound from it. I have the option to take it back and get something else, its just has anyone had any experience with the db750? As i have never heard anyone describe the tone of a DB750 as harsh. Ive tried removing some of the treble and that has helped a bit.

Could it be down to strings? I currently have a relatively new set of elixirs on my bass, what strings out there that will give a warmer, sort of more vintage'ish sound?
Could it be down to my bass? unfortunately I only have on decent bass, so I havnt really got the opportunity to try it with anything else at the moment.

Edited by elliotminor

It depends on what kind of harshness you're getting. If it's just brightness, that could easily be a strings / EQ thing. If it's another kind of harshness, it could be dead/crap valves.

If it's another type of harshness it could be a lot of other things.

I'm rather jealous of your new acquisition btw. I have a DB680 which I wouldn't trade in for anything. I'd like a better power amp to go with it though.

Edited by The Funk

I know this is a bit sad, but I was looking very closely at a EB Musicman add featuring Paul Turner of Jamiroquai who uses the DB750. Once I'd figured that the bass/mid/treble controls are actually the other way round to usual (i.e. treble-mid-bass) I saw that he has his treble and mid both turned down to about 9 or 10 o'clock.

Don't know whether this is of any relevance or help whatsoever, but thought I'd let you know anyhow!

PS I'm as jealous as a very jealous thing that you have a DB750.

[quote name='Rumble' post='2093' date='May 19 2007, 10:38 AM']I know this is a bit sad, but I was looking very closely at a EB Musicman add featuring Paul Turner of Jamiroquai who uses the DB750. Once I'd figured that the bass/mid/treble controls are actually the other way round to usual (i.e. treble-mid-bass) I saw that he has his treble and mid both turned down to about 9 or 10 o'clock.

Don't know whether this is of any relevance or help whatsoever, but thought I'd let you know anyhow!

PS I'm as jealous as a very jealous thing that you have a DB750.[/quote]

thanks, ill try that. Also, the output of my bass is quite hot, i have to turn it down when I play with a wireless as it distorts, even on the lowest gain setting on the transmitter. Maybe, even with the active switch on the DB750 im still over driving the input?!

I have noticed though,almost immediately, half way into our first song of our first rehearsal in a while, that the DB750 sits very well in the mix. It might be more to do with the volume of this thing, but it sounds really good! I suppose thats what matters the most, as I seem to spend most of my time practising/gigging.

I just can't understand why it should sound significantly different to the DB659+Poweramp. Ill do a search on how to test for dead valves. It shouldnt be that, as its brand new, but you never know.

I can't describe the harsh sound really. It's sort of like the sound you get when you play aggressively with a heavy pick really close to the bridge, which I don't really do.

Thanks for all the help so far! I'm sure ive done something really stupid, like rewire my speakon wrong or something (I had it set up for a bridged setup before from my poweramp). Presumably that wouldnt give me a crap sound, it just wouldnt work!

I did a radio session in France recently where the station was hiring in the backline and I asked for a DB750 and a GS412 cabinet (which I have at home anyway and love to bits). I really wanted to like it but couldn't get on with it at all. I couldn't get anything resembling my sound out of the EQ which I found a bit uncomprehensive although I am used to a graphic. I didn't have long to play with it as I was in a rush and ended up using an early 70's SVT (now in my avatar) which they just had lying around. Best tone I'd ever had with that and the GS412 though.

Edited by joegarcia

[quote name='joegarcia' post='2421' date='May 19 2007, 08:36 PM']I did a radio session in France recently where the station was hiring in the backline and I asked for a DB750 and a GS412 cabinet (which I have at home anyway and love to bits). I really wanted to like it but couldn't get on with it at all. I couldn't get anything resembling my sound out of the EQ which I found a bit uncomprehensive although I am used to a graphic. I didn't have long to play with it as I was in a rush and ended up using an early 70's SVT (now in my avatar) which they just had lying around. Best tone I'd ever had with that and the GS412 though.[/quote]

How would you compare the tone of the SVT to the DB750? I have the option to take the DB750 back, and maybe get an SVT VR instead or something along those lines.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong though, as I loved the sound of my DB659.

Edited by elliotminor

[quote name='elliotminor' post='3110' date='May 20 2007, 10:25 PM']How would you compare the tone of the SVT to the DB750? I have the option to take the DB750 back, and maybe get an SVT VR instead or something along those lines.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong though, as I loved the sound of my DB659.[/quote]

Not really comparable. I like a fairly scooped sound with a huge balsy low end and crisp highs around 2/3k and this is exactly what I could get from the SVT. I've heard that the new ones are completely different though. I found the DB750 quite muddy with my bass and the EQ didn't work at the frequencies I would have wanted. I should reiterate though that I didn't have long to play with it.

[quote name='The Funk' post='5005' date='May 23 2007, 10:22 AM']If there's an input gain control, turn it down. If there isn't one, turn down the volume on your bass. See if you can get a good sound with that. If that doesn't work, it could be anything.[/quote]

I still havn't figured out what the problem is, but ive found a solution.

We are doing a mini tour at the moment, and since i was feeling in a good mood i thought f*** it, and let our regular support use my aguilar rig. His Japanese Fender Precision Reissue sounded AMAZING through it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Not only that, he said it was one of the best rigs he has ever played through. So we have done a deal... I supply the amp, he supplies the bass :)

I love my ATK, but I don't think its exactly what i'm looking for. Not after I heard this guys P bass! Gonna have to start saving up again.

I suppose some basses sound better with some amps, and others sound better with other amps!

it might even be the fact its not the right sound for you, i'm still searching but i think i'm getting there.
I also think we're supporting you in brighton at the pressure point too.
Anyway back to it, you could even try some light compression just to take the edge off the sound and even out the frequencys and string sound levels on your bass thats what i did with the svt head i had, or you can run something like an mxr or sanamps to colour the sound to your liking even.

Hope that helps and hopefully see you soon.
Dan