Why become a member? ×

Cheapest way to record multiple tracks

logicred

Hi all. I have taken a look through the forum, but am a bit confused.

We are a 5 piece band (2 singers) and at rehersal I want to record us on a laptop each on a different track so can mix down later. Is there are mixing device that will take 5 inputs and output as USB to software so I can do this? My laptop is quite old and I am guessing that perhaps a beefy processor is needed? I want to purchase something S/H ideally. Even a 4 track version would probably suffice if the price was right and we would have the vocals on one channel.

Also, we reherse once a week and during the rest of the week so I want us to make the best use of our time and start recording songs during the week (to get the best quality) by doing the following:

1. Insert the original MP3 cover track into Audacity (or whatever) as a new track
2. Play my bass line as a new track
3. Email the RAW bass line track and MP3 file to the other band members who do the same.
4. The end result is a 5 track RAW file which can then be mastered.

Is this the normal way of doing things?

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheapest.... an Alesis multimix 8 will get you 8 seperate ins to your lappy via USB - around £110 new.
[quote name='logicred' timestamp='1386316345' post='2298581']

1. Insert the original MP3 cover track into Audacity (or whatever) as a new track
2. Play my bass line as a new track
3. Email the RAW bass line track and MP3 file to the other band members who do the same.
4. The end result is a 5 track RAW file which can then be mastered.

Is this the normal way of doing things?

Thanks for any pointers.
[/quote]

Thats OK, but don't use mp3's unless you really have to - WAV will give a much better result... As will Reaper over Audacity.

As for your laptop, it should be fine for tracking (just recording) unless it is [i]really[/i] aged.

Everyone will have a different opinion on how to record, but FWIW, I think recording live takes gets a much better feel, energy and tightness. Recording track-by-track as you describe might give you slightly better fidelity (less spill), but for me I'd rather have a little spill to deal with at mixdown and a better overall performance. My £0.002.

Re equipment, there are loads of interfaces which will do what you want, and some of them come with basic software. If you want multiple inputs cheap, the entry level Firewire interfaces are probably best (some also have USB, but most cheap USB-only interfaces are only two or 4 channels), but be aware you will need a PCMCIA/cardbus card for your laptop with a TI chipset firewire controller (I have one made by startech), even if your laptop has firewire built in as many non-TI firewire controllers won't work reliably with pro-audio firewire devices.

I've had good results using a presonus firepod (now called firestudio) into a fairly old laptop, but if I were buying again now, I'd save my money and get one of the RME interfaces to get better latency, driver stability and expansion possibilities.

Thanks all. That's good info ;-) I will take a look at some of those devices. I don't have firewire and have no PCMCIA slot. I appreciate what you said about live recording. I could probably do both in fact (record live, but then remove the vocals and mix them in later to get them perfect).

To do what you describe, everyone in your band will need to be set up for stereo recording.
To do multitrack recording live, you'll need either a soundcard with multiple inputs for your computer or a dedicated multi-track recorder. I prefer the first approach BUT you can get a lot of random odd problems when recording on a computer that can be very difficult to iron out, so I'd buy a soundcard second hand that I can sell again if it's not working out!
What's your laptop spec ?

I think recording to a DAW on your PC using a USB interface is pretty straight forward these days. It's mainly about how many channels you can afford to record simultaneously. Remember every mic will need a cable, a stand, and a pre-amp. Some interfaces will have one or more pre-amps built in, but if the rest of the inputs are line inputs you'd need pre-amps on them

If you get an interface with 2 mic inputs (built in pre) you could do a decent job of recording the sound of your rehearsal with some clever micing. If you can afford one with 2 mic inputs and 2 line inputs, you could use the two mics for kick and snare, and then the two line inputs for a feed from the PA so no extra pre-amp required. Ideally you'd have a DI from bass, DI from guitar, kick, snare, and then you could take the 2 vocals out of the PA as one mono feed, but then you'd need 2 mic inputs and 3 line. Something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur44.htm would be fine, but it's almost double the budget.

Beware of products like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_multimix_4usb.htm which look perfect but only output a stereo mix to your PC rather than seperate channels

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1386318852' post='2298599']
Cheapest.... an Alesis multimix 8 will get you 8 seperate ins to your lappy via USB - around £110 new.
[/quote]

Thanks. This device sounds perfect, but one of the latest posts in this thread says that it won't record as separate tracks via USB (at least the 4 input one won't). Just as a stereo mix?

[url="http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/d7909ae33556f846f984cf64973f2bb9/file/multimix8usb2_0_refmanual_reva.pdf"]http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/d7909ae33556f846f984cf64973f2bb9/file/multimix8usb2_0_refmanual_reva.pdf[/url]

According to the manual (see above link), you get 4 mic ins,4 line ins and a stereo mix if you want it...

Ah ha, it appears that Alesis do a £100 USB FX model which gives a stereo mix, and a USB 2.0 FX model which is just over twice as much and this provides 8 separate outputs via USB which is what I need. Gets good reviews, but twice as much ;-( I read an old post somewhere that suggested that most people don't need the mixing element, just the recording element and can make do with outputting as 8 tracks to a memory card, so am now looking into this which sounds like an even better solution!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fella. I have in fact just managed to get a secondhand Zoom R24 for £200 which I think is similar to the R16 but more tracks and more phantom power etc (which I don't need but it was a steal at this price!). It is 100% what I need. Quality is great, easy to use, built in Mic's are fantastic. When finished playing live, just press a button and via USB all transferred straight into Reaper via WAV and I edit that way. Yes, the Zoom has a built in editor to mix down, but why bother when Reaper is so cheap and has infinite possiblities ;-) Very pleased with the result.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='logicred' timestamp='1387569386' post='2313574']
Thanks fella. I have in fact just managed to get a secondhand Zoom R24 for £200 which I think is similar to the R16 but more tracks and more phantom power etc (which I don't need but it was a steal at this price!). It is 100% what I need. Quality is great, easy to use, built in Mic's are fantastic. When finished playing live, just press a button and via USB all transferred straight into Reaper via WAV and I edit that way. Yes, the Zoom has a built in editor to mix down, but why bother when Reaper is so cheap and has infinite possiblities ;-) Very pleased with the result.
[/quote]

I've had two R16's in my time. Such a great bit of kit! I

• 1 month later...