Why become a member? ×

That muse sound!!!

patrikmarky

Start here ... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/34782-muse-bass-sound/page__p__367925__hl__muse%20chris__fromsearch__1#entry367925"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/34782-muse-bass-sound/page__p__367925__hl__muse%20chris__fromsearch__1#entry367925[/url]

I'm about to start work learning Hysteria and from a bit of searching on google the sound on this song a achieved with a Digitech Bass Synth Wah and a Big Muff. Santa is going to bring me the Digitech and I have a Digitech Bass Driver already on my pedal board that will have to substitute for the Muff. I hoping to get close enough with this set up. Chris does have a Deep Impact and dozens of other pedals plus rack effects and an almost limitless budget :)

Not sure if that helps or not...

I've approximated a few Muse songs for various gigs through the years and I've just used a Muff of some description, a gate can help keep it clean/synthy.
Having a subtle envlelope can help with the synthy sound, but Joe Bloggs just expects to hear a dirty bass sound really :)
If it's a one off, approximate, if you're a tribute act, good luck buying a Deep Impact and an Animato! ;)

Si

Get this Fredrics fuzz

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223868-boss-ls-2-and-frederics-green-russian-fuzz/page__hl__fredric__fromsearch__1

and a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive (also dirt cheap), and you'll get pretty close to Chris' Animato and Russian muff tone.

Maybe buy a Boss LS-2 too, so you can stack the dirt/blend with clean.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1386762105' post='2304095']
Get this Fredrics fuzz

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223868-boss-ls-2-and-frederics-green-russian-fuzz/page__hl__fredric__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

and a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive (also dirt cheap), and you'll get pretty close to Chris' Animato and Russian muff tone.

Maybe buy a Boss LS-2 too, so you can stack the dirt/blend with clean.
[/quote]

I Agree ;)

I will be playing Plug In Baby this Saturday and I will just switch to the P pickup and max the bass's treble control. My amp is always set for a bit of grit. Job done. The only people who will notice if you nail the sound are you and any Muse-loving bass players in the audience.

I'm not saying you shouldn't shoot for a sound that is appropriate, but the effort of duplicating the original sound may be better expended elsewhere e.g. playing the song correctly!

Used to use an SFX fuzz for Hysteria - great in the intro , then completely lost throughout the rest of the song . Better results now with Crowther Prunes and Custard . It does me also for Time is running Out too . I'm just after a close approximation , and its good enough for me .

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1386802264' post='2304908']
I will be playing Plug In Baby this Saturday and I will just switch to the P pickup and max the bass's treble control. My amp is always set for a bit of grit. Job done. The only people who will notice if you nail the sound are you and any Muse-loving bass players in the audience.

I'm not saying you shouldn't shoot for a sound that is appropriate, but the effort of duplicating the original sound may be better expended elsewhere e.g. playing the song correctly!
[/quote]

I agree with this.
I've played Plug In Baby a few times for people and I've just used a bit of grit/dirt on the verses/choruses, then some fuzz for the instrumental bits/intro/outro. Sounds great, sorted quickly, more time to learn the song correctly. Done

Having said that, I've got a pedals stock to choose sounds from at any given time, probably slightly harder for someone who needs this sound coming from not using any pedals at all.

Si

I hit all the right notes..sounds great on the intro but I do get lost in the mix once the other guys kick in...im finding a big muff with some octave seems to be giving the best results..though I also agree im probably making a to bigger deal as I dont think the punters really give a f***!..

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1386871521' post='2305791']
I hit all the right notes..sounds great on the intro but I do get lost in the mix once the other guys kick in...im finding a big muff with some octave seems to be giving the best results..though I also agree im probably making a to bigger deal as I dont think the punters really give a f***!..
[/quote]

Remember most stock Muffs have a mid cut. If you can find a Muff/fuzz with a flat mid response, or better yet a mid controlled, you'll have a better time of it :). It's fairly easy to mod stock Muffs with the above.

Si