Why become a member? ×

That muse sound!!!

patrikmarky

I do it like this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiMAq_Gatxo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUAAv5UeEGIyivSj63lQCfWQ[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbNIQckM22I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUAAv5UeEGIyivSj63lQCfWQ[/media]

Bass Big Muff Deluxe, that's about it really. Plus Guitar Rig's bass rig for the purpose of these recordings.
Obviously in the Hysteria case you can hear the filter from the original recording coming through, if it was just my track you wouldn't hear that but it doesn't make much difference in a live situation does it?
I've tried to use octavers and filters along with fuzz but I found the octave just muddied everything up and filters totally altered the fuzz character so just fuzz seems to be the most useable way for me.

I've had great results on Feeling Good with a Bass MicroSynth though, it sounded HUGE live. But it didn't really work for these 2 tracks.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1387229082' post='2309718']
If you are thinking about a Digitech BSW then GAK have them for £35 new, suckers are still paying more than that for second hand ones on ebay.
[/quote]

Well that's a tip. I had no idea these pedals had dropped in cost so much, swear I paid £50 or so a few years ago for one. I may well grab one!

After 1976Fenderheads demo, I got myself a EH Deluxe Big muff bass pi.
I've been using my Boss GT6B for most of my Muse sounds in my rock covers band but felt the fuzz sounds were lacking on occasion.
I've covered a fair few Muse songs over the years & can't fathom why I didn't get some 'Muff' sooner!

With a Boss OC2 in front & the addition of a EH Bassballs for more 'filtered' tones, I think I've got everything covered (at least for the pub/club circuit).

I thought I had sorted what my next purchases would be - the W&C tfr and b3k. But after that demo, the deluxe bass muff might have changed that. Probably wouldn't be as good, but the deluxe bbm and the lomenzo hyperdrive could maybe get a similar sound, at more than half the price of my original choice. Thanks 1976Fenderhead! :)

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1387307832' post='2310576']
I thought I had sorted what my next purchases would be - the W&C tfr and b3k. But after that demo, the deluxe bass muff might have changed that. Probably wouldn't be as good, but the deluxe bbm and the lomenzo hyperdrive could maybe get a similar sound, at more than half the price of my original choice. Thanks 1976Fenderhead! :)
[/quote]

Are you really in Newton-Le-Willows, Wensleydale?

If you're interested, I can deliver a Lomenzo Hyperdrive to you on the 27th December as we'll be passing that way to get to the in-laws in Harmby? We may even have to call in and see my wife's cousin who lives in Newton...

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1387475707' post='2312468']
Has anyone had any success getting close to the 'Hysteria' and/or 'Time is running out' sound with either the Zoom B3 or MS-60B. I am happy with the results I have with the Boss GT6B unit, but it is old and worn out now, so looking to replace it with just one unit with a small footprint
[/quote]

I was wondering the same - MS-60B in my case. I haven't fiddled with it much yet. Back when I played it I just used a Boss ODB-3 but am hoping for something a little more sophisticated this time...

Fuzz, (cheapie joyo octofuzz ripoff) into splitter (Behringer DI box) into guitar amp from one channel. Second channel out of splitter (already fuzzed) into wah cocked at a low mid (sort of so it makes 'WOOORRRRBBBBBB' sound, into Zoom 505 with zoom lead distortion and flange.

Practicing for a spoof about a particularly pretentious devon town... :D

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1387475707' post='2312468']
Has anyone had any success getting close to the 'Hysteria' and/or 'Time is running out' sound with either the Zoom B3 or MS-60B. I am happy with the results I have with the Boss GT6B unit, but it is old and worn out now, so looking to replace it with just one unit with a small footprint
[/quote]
I've set up my B3 for Hysteria using the OverDrive. Settings are gain 45, tone 48, level 70, bal 20. I have a touch of comp after that. Played on a P bass with half wounds, and through my Streamliner. Sounds ok. The same settings should work fine on an MS60B too.

Edited by ratman

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1387543611' post='2313148']
I've set up my B3 for Hysteria using the OverDrive. Settings are gain 45, tone 48, level 70, bal 20. I have a touch of comp after that. Played on a P bass with half wounds, and through my Streamliner. Sounds ok. The same settings should work fine on an MS60B too.
[/quote]

Thanks for that - I'll give it a whirl. :)

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1387543611' post='2313148']
[/quote]

Yea thats great. :) thanks

Edited by leroydiamond

I think for the most part you have to accept that you won't nail the tone. Will save you a hell of a lot of money and effort in the long run. Chris's rig is very complex and a pedal will not get you there. The pedals you say will give you something good enough, but just don't expect to sound like muse :)

I think we can all agree some big distort and a little of whatever takes your fancy gets you close enough..as long as your banging the right strings and nailing it with timing your gonna be close enough for your everyday punter....it's foolish to think we will get it spot on..considering our limited funds compared to what c w has to work with...though I must admit my octave pedal has helped...