Why become a member? ×

Reining in the temptation

Annoying Twit

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to report that I think I've done a reasonable job of this. I do a bit of guitar practice too, but only after I've had a solid productive hour of bass practice. Also, as I mentioned on another thread, I retuned my guitar to EADGCF, which I have discovered is called "all fourths tuning". I find that the practice done on that seems to be complementary, rather than competitive with, bass practice as the same scale/arpeggio shapes apply, it's just that the scale length and thickness of the strings is different, which doesn't take that much adaptation. I haven't done much six string bass practice recently, but I'm looking forward to seeing if the chordal work from EADGCF six string will transfer over easily. The guitar practice seems to be helping my pick playing on bass too. It probably helps that a lot of what I'm playing on the guitar is rather bass style.

I've succumbed to buying a book with simple two handed tapping exercises. But, I generally practice this a little bit, so I'm not dumping normal bass practice to do tapping all the time, which might have happened in the past. So, that's working out. I'm not really slapping at all, just doing the occasional very basic riff. Slap will wait until later.

Referring to my 'getting a funky/smooth feel' thread, my timing and feel is improving. Very slowly, but it's heading in the right direction. It would be much better if I sat down and worked methodically through the Ed Friedland book that I have, but given my history, I think what I'm doing now is a reasonable compromise between what I should be doing and what has stymied all attempts I've made to learn 'real' musical instruments in the past.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I think the best way to approach trying out different things is to use it as a kind of reward, after doing the "work". For example you could possibly do say an hour of focused practice. Seemingly, after this amount of time, the brain goes into over load and needs a break anyway. After that, you could spend some time experimenting with different techniques or whatever else takes your fancy.

I dont know if anyone ever told you but.......bass playing is supposed to be fun ! ;)

Edited by Coilte

I'm not gigging, and at my stage in life, I'm very unlikely to. I would very much like to play solo/looped music, similar to Steve Lawson. There are some opportunities for playing with other people, and I'm thinking about what I'd need to play.

Oh, and I'm enjoying myself when I'm playing, that's not a problem :)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1391508757' post='2357822']
I dont know if anyone ever told you but.......bass playing is supposed to be fun ! ;)
[/quote]

Don't forget how much fun it is to work hard, to study and to learn. The best fun I have ever had has been because of the work I have done, not just because I 'played' at something.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1391770189' post='2361041']
....The best fun I have ever had has been because of the work I have done, not just because I 'played' at something....
[/quote]

+1

I don't think playing has to be fun. Fun is great, but I'd go for a sense of achievement and pride in a job well done over just fun on most days.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1391770559' post='2361049']
+1

I don't think playing has to be fun. Fun is great, but I'd go for a sense of achievement and pride in a job well done over just fun on most days.
[/quote]

[u]JOB[/u] being the operative word here. ;) Not everyone makes a living playing bass.

I play for the fun of it. It is a hobby. That's not to say that I dont take my learning and gigs seriuosly. I too, have a sense of pride and achievement after a good gig, but I would not do it if I did not get fun and enjoyment from it.

It all depends on your goals and your perspective. :)

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1391770189' post='2361041']
Don't forget how much fun it is to work hard, to study and to learn. The best fun I have ever had has been because of the work I have done, not just because I 'played' at something.
[/quote]

There is no denying that learning any instrument requires lots of hard graft.

The point I was trying to make to the OP is there is also (or should be) a time to just relax, let the hair down, and...well...have fun just "playing" at something.