Why become a member? ×

Stick with my NXT or go with an Omni

sshorepunk

Hi

I bought an NXT a few months back and I'm in the fortunate position to have it set up all the time in the conservatory, figured this would give me plenty of practice time, and it's working, I pick it up and play a lot!
But, I'm struggling with the stretch in my hands between the notes at the top of the neck, so moving from a B flat to C on the A string. I really do have smallish hands (hence the reason for me playing a Fender Jazz) my mrs even refers to them as being webbed lol!

So, do I stick with the NXT and get some lessons to help out with my technique or move it along, put the extra cash in and get the NS omni bass, which is the same scale as a bass guitar?

Advice would be much appreciated as I'm really enjoying playing upright and would like to quickly get a few jam nights in with a mate who plays acoustic, I could easily do that now with the songs we do, but I'm thinking more long term and progressing on UB

Thanks

Tony

Don't worry about small hands. Check out the excellent LInda Oh proving you don't have to be 6ft4 with mitts like a brickie. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gysQ6cmngNE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gysQ6cmngNE[/url]

You might benefit from checking out various thumb pivot techniques like Rabbath though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi, Tony - is your NXT a 4 or 5 string?

If it's a 5 string - would you consider a swap (there'd be some money in it for you as well) for my Big Kydd 5 string? The Kydd is more-or-less a standard scale instrument. It has a radiused finger board so you can bow it. I've fitted it with top quality Thomastik strings as well.

PM me if interested. S

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1387028027' post='2307549']
....do I stick with the NXT and get some lessons to help out with my technique....
[/quote]

This.

The instrument and the size of your hands isn't the problem, you need to improve your technique.

Edited by chris_b

• 5 months later...

Update!

So I managed one lesson, then got side tracked with some other stuff going on in my life, such as my band getting a lot of covers gigs, so lots of new stuff to learn
I kept working on my left hand technique and I've started to wok through the online lessons that geoffbassist has created, finding them very useful. I will probably revisit a tutor at some point though just to get some more, real input on my technique

Last weekend I played my first gig on upright, only a short acoustic set. Was planning on using upright on two out of six tracks we were doing, ended up playing on four our of six. Two were covers, breathless ( nick cave) and fishermans blues!
Really enjoyed it, was a bad stage though, looked like it was made from old tables so started to get feedback through the piezo as the sound from the amp carried through the floor. But apart from that, it went very well and put a big smile on my face!

tony