Why become a member? ×

Classical guitar problem

Les

I wonder if any of you can shed any light on this. I have a Takamine electro acoustic classical that I've had from new for about 3 years and it's been great.

I need to capo it on the 3rd fret and now I'm getting a viabration/buzz on the 2 open bass strings. It doesn't seem like it's from the capo making the string buzz on the 4th fret as it seems to be coming from the body. Although without the capo there is no problem so I'm thinking it's got to be something to do with the capo.

Any ideas ?

thanks

Les

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1387147052' post='2308812']
Loosen the capo slightly? Tighten it slightly? Try slightly heavier gauge strings? Learn to play the piece without the capo?
[/quote]

Capo isn't adjustable, it's a trigger style one. I've tried to play it without the capo but I can't get it to sound right with the meagre amount of talent I have at my disposal.
It's a laid back version of Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits with me on classical and the guitarist on my eub.

Is it a capo designed for classical guitar..? These tend to have flat fingerboards; some capos are curved (for folk or electric guitars...).
You don't really need a capo at all, of course. Try a pencil across the third fret, held by elastics behind the neck. Not so easy to put in place on a 'live' stage, but will work fine for rehearsing/recording...

[attachment=150538:Penc_Capo.jpg]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1387149397' post='2308852']
Is it a capo designed for classical guitar..?
[/quote]

Yes, no radius. Although it is a cheap one, not like my shubb and G7 capo's I have for my normal acoustic.

If the takamine has a truss rod some hybrid calssical guitars have them (but as it sounds like you have a flat radius fingerboard possibly not ? ) set for more relief in neck.if there is no truss rod, has bridge saddle been shaved down at any point to lower action ? try a shim under saddle to see if that helps.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1387212299' post='2309449']
It does have a truss rod and it's never had the bridge shaved down. Thanks for all your input guys, think I'm going to throw a few quid at a decent capo before I mess with the truss rod cos' the guitar is great normally.
[/quote]

Yes, try a decent capo made for a classical. I assume you get no buzz when you fret those strings? If so it will be the capo not applying enough pressure. Make sure the capo is close to the fret but not so tight it forces the strings out of tune.

If I were you I'd probably get a Shubb classical ..

I use a cejilla but they can be a little tricky until you get used to fitting it, they are really great though ..

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1387267075' post='2309934']
Yes, try a decent capo made for a classical. I assume you get no buzz when you fret those strings? If so it will be the capo not applying enough pressure. Make sure the capo is close to the fret but not so tight it forces the strings out of tune.

If I were you I'd probably get a Shubb classical ..

I use a cejilla but they can be a little tricky until you get used to fitting it, they are really great though ..

[/quote]

Not always the case the capo in effect lowers action relative to nut if there is not enough relief/clearance in neck it will buzz/rattle usally when fretting notes around 5th position ( but yes make sure capo is doing its job as should be as well)

[quote name='kjm' timestamp='1387295087' post='2310383']
Not always the case the capo in effect lowers action relative to nut if there is not enough relief/clearance in neck it will buzz/rattle usally when fretting notes around 5th position ( but yes make sure capo is doing its job as should be as well)
[/quote]

Of course it does, just like doing the same thing with your fingers. There's no mechanical difference doing it with a capo, it either buzzes or it doesn't, the relief is either correct or incorrect. But applying the capo incorrectly can make it buzz.

Nigel if you have uneven frets the Capo accentuates any discrepancy in them How do I know ? I have spent years setting up and repairing guitars in guitar shops one qiuck fix is to add more relief but yes a incorrectly fitted capo can do same just giving a alternative view on possible problem

Edited by kjm

[quote name='kjm' timestamp='1387786798' post='2315507']
Nigel if you have uneven frets the Capo accentuates any discrepancy in them How do I know ? I have spent years setting up and repairing guitars in guitar shops one qiuck fix is to add more relief but yes a incorrectly fitted capo can do same just giving a alternative view on possible problem
[/quote]

But that would be a fault with the guitar not the capo. To be fair, the OP is not detailed or clear enough to make a diagnosis. But I bow to your experience and knowledge mate.