Why become a member? ×

thinking of quitting my band

artisan

[quote name='alistair Sutcliffe' timestamp='1387381129' post='2311326']
My 3 piece rnr pub band plays without instrument amps. I can't think of any good reason to use them these days. Multifx units are so good now that they're just not necessary for an average sized pub. Why lug amps AND a pa? It's unnecessary lugging and setting up, they add to feedback issues, they disperse unequally and volume wars are the consequence.

I can see why boutique amps are wanted at bigger or more prestigious gigs with a sound engineer but not for a pub.

Not using amps is a system most guitarists won't go for on principle but if they were open minded enough to try it it might solve the problem.
[/quote]

Very true, very true indeed.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1387378139' post='2311281']
You could get Yoko to record different takes with different mixes and ask her what sounds the clearest from au audience point of view ....she could be your biggest ally ;)
[/quote]
aha you've not met her then :)
Yoko is an expert in everything,talks at very high speed without listening to any replies & constantly tells hubby to turn up so i'll not get any help there.
the really annoying thing is we used to play pretty quietly & sound pretty good but the volume just keeps rising,hence why i bought a bigger amp but that seems to mean we can play louder now,the idiots.
Rest assured if we can't resolve the issue i will walk, away brother or not but it would be nice just to sort the problem out.

Thanks for all your replies guys,i do appreciate it very much so please keep them coming.

The situation is a bit Lionel messy. If you and your brother agree with each other more, you are in a situation where the others think you are cliquey.
If you and your brother were more like Liam and Noel Gallagher., then you would've been in a different band now anyway.
Unfortunately, I forsee a little tension at your next gig , the other members and yoko (if she can take her head out of her a&se) will probably notice it.
You will subconsciously be a little on edge, and it will probably be the gig that will decide if it's for you anymore.

Sorry for sounding negative, but that's how it looks imho. Hope things work in your favour. Don't forget, there is a thread on here about loss of hearing/tinitus .
You want to avoid that, and so should they . On the plus side, it'll soon be Xmas ;)

Here's some questions I'd be asking myself. Am I enjoying playing this music? Am I still there because my big brother is in the band?
Would I be musically happier elsewhere?
In the interests of maintaining a healthy relationship with your brother I think you should move on!
I've played in loud bands and just got on with it when I was much younger. Nowadays as a freelancer I make my feelings clear from the first tune. I'm not really bothered if I come across as 'difficult'. If the band doesn't like it they won't ask me back. If you have FOH amplification then the onstage volume should be as 'musical' as you can make it. If your sound is unmusical what's the point of playing. I'd rather stay at home and have a bottle of good vino.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1387371970' post='2311163']
this i think is spot on & absolutley true in my case too,my brother is 5 years older than me & even though i am 46 i still get this exact treatment.
[/quote]
You're not alone. I get that from my bro and I'm 54

Well we played last nights gig & boy did i get a supprise :)
We did a decent sound check for once,the guitars were massively quieter than usual & i was even asked if they were too loud !
I just ran my rig with gain & master volume at 12 o'clock ,neither guitar got turned up at all,infact i actually asked the rhythm guitar to be turned up a little.
The gig was awesome,the punters loved us & we sounded great,i couldn't stop grinning all night it was brilliant.
The guys have promised me this is how it will be from now on - Result.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1387724701' post='2314899']
We did a decent sound check for once,the guitars were massively quieter than usual & i was even asked if they were too loud !
I just ran my rig with gain & master volume at 12 o'clock ,neither guitar got turned up at all,infact i actually asked the rhythm guitar to be turned up a little.
The gig was awesome,the punters loved us & we sounded great,i couldn't stop grinning all night it was brilliant.
[/quote]

That's brilliant news Neil B) B)

[/quote]Now that's extremely good news, both for you and your audience. How did this change come about; did you have a stern word with them or did they perhaps stumble over this thread?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1387786645' post='2315506']
Now that's extremely good news, both for you and your audience. How did this change come about; did you have a stern word with them or did they perhaps stumble over this thread?
[/quote]
oh i told them last week,either sort the sound out or i'm gone :)
I guess they listened then.

I think that this is a great thread. Have experienced this first hand and at hundreds of gigs. Guitar bullies are endemic to live music throughout the country. I have strangely never heard a bass too loud although loud drums are common. It is all down to professionalism. In a live set you are there first and foremost to deliver a musical experience to an audience. If you want to just enjoy performing..go jam in a basement. Saw an interview with a bass player with Stings band who remarked how quiet the band was. Geetah bullies are not interested in what they are delivering...they can't see that far. I personally walk out of gigs that are too loud....not cos I am an old fart but because I love music.

[/quote]

Great news mate! :)
.... now lets just hope they stick to this way of working
An early Christmas present, eh?

Cheers
Marc

Many thanks for all of your kind comments guys :)

My fingers are firmly crossed that the band will stay this way in future,both guitarists did realise what a difference it made to have the sound levels correct.
Another plus for me too came when we were packing our gear away when a guy comes onto the "stage",shakes my hand vigorously & says "you can't half play that slap bass mate"
Turns out he is a massive Rockabilly fan & expert on the genre,result
Lol

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1387801901' post='2315800']

Turns out he is a massive Rockabilly fan & expert on the genre,result
Lol
[/quote]

What... there's another one as well as me ? :P :lol:

Seriously ... I really want to hear you guys play ... any gigs a bit further down South coming up ??

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1387816023' post='2316055']

What... there's another one as well as me ? :P :lol:

Seriously ... I really want to hear you guys play ... any gigs a bit further down South coming up ??
[/quote]
well you never know,there was a guy watching us who deals in genuine 1950's juke boxes.
He is involved in the American car/Rockabilly scene & says he wants us to play at some rallies/shows next summer,so if it actually happens i will keep you informed.