Why become a member? ×

recessed socket woes

steve-bbb

sooooo, as much as i :wub: my TRB i am now in need of repair/replace the jack socket [b]again![/b]

why yamaha thought this recessed socket idea would be good is beyond me :shok:

anybody ever gone for an outboard female socket type thingy - i was thinking of soldering a short cable in and clamping it and sleeving it and leaving about 6 inches of lead with a female jack socket for easy connection

pros/cons/tips pls if you ever tried this

ta muchly

I had to have the one on my TRB replaced, though in the end it may have been the jack plug.

See my post here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210655-planet-waves-cables/page__hl__trb6p__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210655-planet-waves-cables/page__hl__trb6p__fromsearch__1[/url]

yes pretty much that although ive tried cables too as somebody mentioned this before about the tips - i replaced the barrel socket completely a couple of years ago but now its playing up again - i was thinking perhaps of using a female XLR as a connector instead of 1/4 inch jack

Edited by steve-bbb

I got through a few barrel jacks on my SR505 when I first owned it.

As the problem is with some manufacturers making plugs with tips that have been 'tweaked' to ensure a good contact, the final solution was dead simple.

I replaced the barrel jack with a Neutriks one and replaced any jacks which weren't Neutriks branded, with Neutriks ones.

That was about 6 years ago and it's still working perfectly. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1387315903' post='2310707']

As the problem is with some manufacturers making plugs with tips that have been 'tweaked' to ensure a good contact, the final solution was dead simple.

I replaced the barrel jack with a Neutriks one and replaced any jacks which weren't Neutriks branded, with Neutriks ones.

[/quote]
Planet Waves have been implicated in this respect. Allegedly.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1387321857' post='2310807']
Planet Waves have been implicated in this respect. Allegedly.
[/quote]

That's what my thread was about [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210655-planet-waves-cables/page__hl__trb6p__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210655-planet-waves-cables/page__hl__trb6p__fromsearch__1[/url]

The tip bit of the plug is a lot smaller than the corresponding bit on a neutrik plug, and wasn't making proper contact inside the barrel.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1387321624' post='2310804']
I really like the recessed jack. Is that just me?
[/quote]

[s]possibly [/s] probably :D

personally i prefer flat front mounting which my other three are and use a right angle jack

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1387324250' post='2310838']
I've wondered if it's not possible to just have one mounted on a plated without any real modification, covering the existing side hole ?
[/quote]

as icastle says that might require some woodwork - while i dont really mind attacking my Squier's with a sharp chisel I'd prefer to leave the Yammy alone - im guessing also the plate would need to be curved slightly so might be a bit of a faff

i think the 'all neutriks' (other brands are possibly available??) method sounds fine for now - the last barrel jack i bought was just a bog standard generic one from local muso shop so serves me right i guess :)

Edited by steve-bbb

All barrel jacks fail, eventualy. They're not as easy for bending the contact like on a open jack. I've replaced a few on a lot of different basses.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1387315903' post='2310707']

[/quote]

Wich Neutrick Female Jack did you apply on your bass? Those with the locking system or do they have a barrel jack for direct replacement of the "standard" ones?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1387364296' post='2311043']
Wich Neutrick Female Jack did you apply on your bass? Those with the locking system or do they have a barrel jack for direct replacement of the "standard" ones?
[/quote]

I used the non latching one as I didn't fancy trying to carve a flat recess.

It's Neutrik Part Number NYS221

I also replaced mine for a Neutrik one, so far so good and I'm also using only Neutrik jacks although that's just because I like them. IMO they could do with a small hex bolt in he side so you can apply pressure to the contact from the outside and bend it back, I've seen this type of jack become so loose that the lead just falls out.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1387314293' post='2310675']
sooooo, as much as i :wub: my TRB i am now in need of repair/replace the jack socket [b]again![/b]
[/quote]

So I'm now eating my words. Mine has recently started making really loud crackles every now and then and I know it's not the lead. Can I ask where you got your replacement please?

Had forgotten this thread until recently when I went shopping to try and find a neutrik

Whilst I had the back cover off having a dig around I noticed a way to make a mod to use an open style socket which only requires internal modification and will have no visible indications externally

Will post some before and after pics soon after I've sharpened my chisel :D

I had an Ibanez BTB400 which had a Neutrik jack socket, they are very high quality and also have a built in lock to keep the cable secure, my bass was 10 years old and the socket (which was original) never gave me an ounce of trouble. It might be worth trying to retrofit one, they are quite tidy looking sockets....here's a picture of what I had.