Why become a member? ×

Replacement 15" speaker for Ampeg SVT-15EN (Got to be cheap)?

coffee_king

Hey all
Any suggestions on the above?
Ive been looking at some replacement speakers such as Peavey and Eminense (If you can even get Eminense in the UK) but your talking about £100.

The entire Ampeg SVT-15EN only goes for about £125, so it really not worth spending £100 on a new speaker, nor is it worth getting it reconed etc.

Anyone got any suggestions on a cheap ish reoplacement?
In it currently is an Eminense 86-511-08 15846 8 ohm, 200w RMS.
Its never really ever going to get gigged as it'll only be used to practise on.

Suggestions?
Ta

Are you sure that a recone would be more expensive? The alternative is to search the sales/ebay and see if you can source a decent 15" speaker (EV for example) selling cheap. - I had a EVM15L replacing the cone of my Trace elliot combo (it came like that out of the store), didn't sound bad but i ended finding a celestion original driver and replaced it. couldn't hear any difference but it did seem a bit better sounding cab... maybe just a placebo effect.

If it's just for practise and the cab isn't very valuable then i, personally, wouldn't bother with getting a properly tuned driver/port thing going. I would just worry about getting enough clean volume and EQ the rest in or out. But if any BCer would appear with some advise on good matched drivers for that cab i would start looking for one of those instead.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1387462578' post='2312230']
Hey all
The entire Ampeg SVT-15EN only goes for about £125, so it really not worth spending £100 on a new speaker, nor is it worth getting it reconed etc.
[/quote]

They retail for over £500 new http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ampeg-svt15e-bass-guitar-extension-cabinet--49922 so I wouldn't class them as a cheap cab, I certainly don't class mine as such. Wind 'em up with some Ampeg tubes and they're rather impressive actually :)

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1387469569' post='2312365']
Yeah, cheers man. I'm just still not sure its worth spending £74.39 on somethings thats only worth £125.
[/quote]

Well it's not worth £125 without a working speaker driver.
The value to you is what it will cost to replace. If you can sell your cab for £125 (minus the replacement driver cost), you'll have about £50 towards a new cab... which won't get you very far.
So I would replace the driver, and you'll pretty much have a brand spanking new Ampeg cab, which are going for about £500 at the moment...

EDIT: in fact, I'll buy it off you for £50, replace the driver and sell it back to you for £250 if you like. Half the cost of a new one :)

Edited by brensabre79

I'm not selling this, its just going to get used as a home practise cab, which is why I dont want to spend that much money on it.
I know how much these are worth brand new, but they are simply not worth 2nd hand what they used to be.
(£500 to £125 is a depreciation of 75% which is pretty crazy if you think about it.)
I'm not trying to have an arguement with anyone here, I just need a "Cheap and chearful" solution please.

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1387470720' post='2312385']
I'm not trying to have an arguement with anyone here, I just need a "Cheap and chearful" solution please.
[/quote]

Ha ha, if you don't want an argument, don't come onto a musicians' forum :rolleyes:

I think £70 probably is cheap and cheerful? I might be wrong.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1387469442' post='2312360']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/400617627560?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0"]Here's[/url] one under £70. :)
[/quote]Unfortunately its specs are quite the opposite of those needed. if the OP wants a worthwhile driver he needs to spec match it as close as possible to the Delta Pro 15. If he doesn't care how it sounds or if it will last more than three notes that's a different story.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1387473966' post='2312450']
Unfortunately its specs are quite the opposite of those needed. if the OP wants a worthwhile driver he needs to spec match it as close as possible to the Delta Pro 15. If he doesn't care how it sounds or if it will last more than three notes that's a different story.
[/quote]
Thanks for clearing that up Bill, I thought it was a Delta Pro :blush: but it's not.

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1387470720' post='2312385']
I'm not selling this, its just going to get used as a home practise cab, which is why I dont want to spend that much money on it.
I know how much these are worth brand new, but they are simply not worth 2nd hand what they used to be.
(£500 to £125 is a depreciation of 75% which is pretty crazy if you think about it.)
[/quote]
Sorry, didn't mean to pick a fight, I've been on the Barefaced thread and some of it must have rubbed off ;)

I don't think you're going to get a much cheaper fix than £70, but it turns out that's not the speaker you want anyway.

Im selling a GK EV loaded 15 cab 400W , if you're interested and near Nottingham.
See my thread in the for sale section [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224946-gallien-krueger-bass-cabinet-400w-ev-speaker-cab-115t/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224946-gallien-krueger-bass-cabinet-400w-ev-speaker-cab-115t/[/url]

Glad it's been cleared up that it is the Pro, looks like the cheapest solution is to buy a second hand cab. This is the replacement [url="http://www.bluearan.com/index.php?id=EMIDELPRO15A&browsemode=manufacturer"]http://www.bluearan.com/index.php?id=EMIDELPRO15A&browsemode=manufacturer[/url] You could probably get away with something like the Fane 15-500 which is a bit cheaper because it has a punched chassis but is still £80+. If you replace it with something cheaper like the Eminence Beta then you will have to re tune and accept a big change in the tone. Even this will cost you £50-60.

If it is a Delta Pro (and I've no reason to doubt that it is) then there should be no trouble getting it re-coned, though that wont be cheap either ring Watford or Blue Aran for a quote then decide

Unfortunately its specs are quite the opposite of those needed. if the OP wants a worthwhile driver he needs to spec match it as close as possible to the Delta Pro 15. If he doesn't care how it sounds or if it will last more than three notes that's a different story.
[/quote]

I'd go with this as best advice, myself.

• 3 years later...

[/quote]was
wondering myself if the qes, qts and power; 200 vs 400 rms (deltaPro) are really that much different?

If you are really, really, really just using this for home use then any 15" speaker will make a sound.

Whether it'll make a sound you like, and maximum volume, would be very up in the air.

I think putting in any bass driver that's rated in watts correctly and is suitable for the cabs internal volume and porting (or for sealed use if not ported) will do for your requirements.
I know it doesn't help you now but for instance I've just sold a 15 inch ashdown blue line driver for 20 quid on eBay that would of worked totally fine for practice and I'm betting at higher volumes too. But there's no guarantee that a driver that's different to the original intended designs spec will hold up at volume.
I'm also betting it would not of sounded dissimilar.

Often lower end combos/cabs are not the best designs in the first place. They will be using simple formulas and the cheapest drivers they can get away with.
They are not critically tuned.
I wouldn't say the same advice for say a barefaced cab where they are highly tuned driver, cab and porting to work together. You could not really switch put the intended driver for something else.

Just seen this was a zombie thread! But the advice still holds.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='pawleep' timestamp='1498928691' post='3328071']
was
wondering myself if the qes, qts and power; 200 vs 400 rms (deltaPro) are really that much different?
[/quote]Different from a driver that was on evilbay four years ago? If I said so it must have been, but that listing is long gone into zombieland, as was this thread until you did an Igor on it. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1499012199' post='3328564']
Different from a driver that was on evilbay four years ago? If I said so it must have been, but that listing is long gone into zombieland, as was this thread until you did an Igor on it. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
i do have some of these and need parameters

Eminence 86-511-08 15" 8ohm mine [b]67-96430141 G1[/b]
Ampeg 86-511-08 15” 8 ohm Woofer for SVT-15E
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/528693-Ampeg-86-511-08 $180.73
need t/s parameters rms power sensitivity, xmax and most importantly the qes &/or qts specs
relevant question here! need to know approx what the qes / qts is on one of these 86-511-08 puppies?
(have 2 now and may have to use them until i can find a 1504 (used)

Only Eminence can tell you specs on their OEM drivers, and they very well may not. Most speaker manufacturers don't want specs on the drivers they use revealed. I know Ampeg doesn't. Eminence won't even give them to me, and I have a long standing working relationship with them.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1499045566' post='3328814'] Only Eminence can tell you specs on their OEM drivers, and they very well may not. Most speaker manufacturers don't want specs on the drivers they use revealed. I know Ampeg doesn't. Eminence won't even give them to me, and I have a long standing working relationship with them. [/quote]

what about the watt rating(s) 200 for the OEM and 400 for the delta pro, is this somewhat accurate?