Why become a member? ×

Got a Double Bass again

Jezyorkshire

Now i am on my own and in a position to pursue my interests I have just bought a Westbury gamba double bass from Peter Hall over in Beverley. Its setup for bowing and its probably a little high for me and has spiro reds on , my old bass had spiro purples on it, I told peter that I would play it as it is and see how I go, got it home and I can tell the combination of reds with higher action is tiring quickly but then I have had a layoff of about 2 years! If I can get my hands on some used spiro purples will give em a try.

Congrats on the double bass. Have you got any photos to show us? Spiro Weich (the purple ones) come along rarely second hand and get snapped up quickly IMO. I ended up buying new, but combined with a lower action have really helped me to get those long notes ringing out. Welcome back to the upright world.

Hey Jez, welcome back mate :-) it's great you are playing upright again and I love those westbury basses. Good choice. I would look at lowering the action & you may find you get used to the spiros. However I find the Mittel gauge hard work on the hands so do prefer the Weichs. I'm a bit of a wimp though and perhaps over time I would get used to them.

Happy Christmas! Cheers Geoff

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1388435405' post='2322027']
Spiro weichs and fishman full circle on way from thomman, then of back to peter hall at Beverley for new bridge/strings/full circle fitting and probably a alteration of the fingerboard relief.
[/quote]

Great choice Jez, that will be a awesome combination!

• 3 weeks later...

collected Westbury after work done by Peter Hall and its fantastic, really great job and its really opened the sound up, tried the full circle through fishman pro eq into effrects return of my mark bass combo and its got a very usable sound, had to keep volume down as it was 11pm lol but with a bit of cut on low mid, mid and high mid its getting there, and it plays so easy now, so much so that i have a gig tonight and even though i havent played double for about 2 years im considerin taking it and having electric on standby lol

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1391388239' post='2356695']
collected Westbury after work done by Peter Hall and its fantastic, really great job and its really opened the sound up, tried the full circle through fishman pro eq into effrects return of my mark bass combo and its got a very usable sound, had to keep volume down as it was 11pm lol but with a bit of cut on low mid, mid and high mid its getting there, and it plays so easy now, so much so that i have a gig tonight and even though i havent played double for about 2 years im considerin taking it and having electric on standby lol
[/quote]

Great news. Keep in mind you can change the sound of the Full Circle by rotating the pickup a very small amount.

Good luck with the gig. :)

• 2 weeks later...

the venue was really small, had to leave it in the car, good news is im now rehearsin with 2 bands, one is a country/bluegrass with acoustic gtr, banjo and mandolin and the other is with a guy called Angelo Palladino who currently is playing solo but i answered his ad for a double player and am working on putting lines to his material, thanks for askin