Why become a member? ×

Rick Laird pre-Mahavishnu Orchestra

BetaFunk

This a great clip of the Victor Feldman Trio with one of my favourite bass players, Irish born Rick Laird some years before he became a member of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Feldman had an eye for spotting decent bass players as Scott LaFaro had recorded with him a few years before.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLwvdv5oWVw[/media]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1388164022' post='2319035']
The upright is really his instrument. I felt Rick was a little lost with what to do with the electric. But he's playing his ass off in that trio. Great stuff.
[/quote]
He started out on Electric Bass before taking up the Upright and then returning to the Electric later in the 60s but i agree that Upright is his instrument. In an interview he said that he liked Scott LaFaro and Charles Mingus but his heroes were Ray Brown and Paul Chambers so that seems to confirm his preference for the Upright. He also said that he gave it playing bass in the early 80s because he didn't like being just a 'bass for hire'. I understand that he didn't record for some time after that.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388165932' post='2319058']
I think this is from around 1978.......

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQL90y3tcfc[/media]
[/quote]

That's actually a really nice "upright" approach to the electric. Really fine musician. He never soloed anywhere like that with Mahavishnu. One has to wonder if McLaughlin wanted him to purposely as as simple as possible since everyone else was so busy.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1388236566' post='2319760']
That's actually a really nice "upright" approach to the electric. Really fine musician. He never soloed anywhere like that with Mahavishnu. One has to wonder if McLaughlin wanted him to purposely as as simple as possible since everyone else was so busy.
[/quote]
I remember an interview with Rick Laird from some years ago when it was mentioned that in the Mahavishnu at the time it was between McLaughlin, Cobham, Hammer and Goodman who could play the loudest and fastest. Laird said that someone had to say 'one' and that was him!
If you look at any Mahavishnu video of that time and se how busy all the others are there would have been no room for a Jaco or a Stanley in that band so i suppose Rick fitted the bill as the real anchor in that band. On saying that Jonas Hellborg arrived later but the band was a little different then.

Edited by BetaFunk