Why become a member? ×

Simple Recording Option for Mac Devices or Standalone Unit?

molan

My covers band likes to try and re-arrange quite a lot of the covers we do to try and add some dynamics (or just to keep everyone alert, lol) to the original arrangements.

It would be useful to have sim simple 'sketch pad' type recordings of rehearsals with the agreed arrangements so that people can use them for personal practice in between rehearsals or gigs.

I've got almost a complete 'set' of Apple devices - iPhone 5, iPad Mini, MacBook Air, iMac 27". Two other band members use iPads during live performance as well.

I wondered whether to get some sort of recording input to use with any of the Apple kit I have or whether a simple standalone device would be more useful.

What I'm looking for is something that's easy to use, decent enough quality to record a live band at volume and simple to cut songs up into individual pieces if required. Ideally it would have a quick way to turn off and on in between songs, output to a format I can upload to a Dropbox, have good enough sound quality to pick out individual instruments etc and all with the minimum of fuss.

I have to admit that my first thought was just to buy something like a Tascam DR-05 as a simple standalone unit but if there's something that would work well with an Apple device that offers some sort of additional benefit or convenience then I'd definitely consider it. N.B. Might need to take account that both of my obviously mobile Apples have the new type of mini connector so I'd have to add an Apple adaptor at extra cost if something only had the older interface.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

• 1 year later...

I thought about this, then saw that a pair of mics or a mic that fits into a iPhone/iPad would cost almost as much as a recorder! Most of the recorders come with a screw hole for attaching to a mic stand or tripod.

I've also got an action cam recently so my currently thinking is to get a recorder and mount both of them on a stand (mic or lighting or speaker) and then let them both run during a rehearsal or a gig.

My thoughts it will be cheaper overall and a lot easier to just press the record button.

I use a Tascam DR05 Barrie. The removeable SD card makes it the winner - no problems with ever fighting with space on your iPhone if it's loaded with videos, pics and music. Sound quality is immense too.

As mentioned, can mount on a mic stand too. A very capable unit

Edited by EBS_freak