Why become a member? ×

MTD Kingston Z5?

bigevilman

Currently selling my Ray35 as the stingray sound just isn't cutting it for the band im currently in, so looking for alternatives to backup my Lakland (which I love!)

Whats peoples thoughts on the MTD Kingston Z5? Looks and sounds pretty impressive on youtube, just wanna know other peoples opinions before I start searching for one!

• 1 year later...

Really lovely bass. Lightweight, lovely slim assymetrical neck, great fit & finish. 35" scale. I've just got myself one and the first mod I've done is to install a set of Hipshot Ultralights (3/8 post versions fit the MTD tuners exactly) which cures the mild neck dive on a strap. Also put 200g of lead shot in the control cavity and she balances [i]really[/i] well now. I have far more experience with guitars (where neck dive is uncommon) so getting a balance while playing was a priority. I'm a thumb behind the neck player so supporting the neck at the same time as playing seems counter-productive.

Loads of sounds available which sound wonderful to my ears but I gather the stock PUPs & preamp can be further improved with an upgrade. Just fine for me at the moment though, studio stuff only. Picking her up far more than I thought I would so she must be fun to play... :)