Why become a member? ×

NCD - Ashdown ABM NEO

BluRay

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Picked up a brace of ABM NEO 210 cabs (last month actually but [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]I've run em through a few gigs before reporting back) [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]and thought I'd post a quick review as I haven't seen much else about this range. Worth mentioning that Ashdown were very responsive and helpful with my pre-purchase questions. My local store had one in stock that I could muck about on for a while and that sealed it. Lead time for delivery was around 10 days.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Aesthetically these cabs look great - taller than wide, with offset NEO 210s on a diagonal. Metal grill with Ashdown logo cutout pattern (same as most Ashdown cabs). Covered in black tolex but without the white piping that you normally see on the ABM range - which makes them look a bit evil by comparison. I like that. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Weight: "light enough" is probably a fair description @ 20kg. Ok there's lighter alternatives, but I particularly wanted a pair of 210s - as this arrangement works well for me, and these are fine for a (not-too-far) one hand lift. In particular its the "narrowness" of these cabs make them very easy to cart about. The top handle looks a little odd - suspiciously like a side handle (there is no handle underneath for carrying 2-handed) but its more than fine for moving it about. Its a "proper" metal handle - recessed and reassuringly sturdy - as opposed to a strap handle.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Minor issue, hardly worth mentioning - but my cabs have different connectors. One has two combi inputs, the other has two jacks and a combi. No big deal - but it would be nice if they were the same.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Once unpacked I started stacking them vertically as clearly intended, but as they are the exact width/depth of an abm 500 amp, 2 of the ABM NEO cabs stacked tall with amp on top just felt a little bit precarious for my liking. No way it would topple unless pushed, but some clumsy doofus (probably me) might knock it for six. Unlikely perhaps - but it's a risk I'm not taking! Most gigs I do involve crowded stages and several bands milling about - so [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]after some experimenting - see pics - I've opted to stack them on side (on stage at least) - and bingo, that's the one!...this way the stack stands the same width as a 410 (but taller, for better projection) and no worries about it being knocked over. I popped some feet on the sides - which Ashdown should add as standard I think.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]I love the tone - tight, crisp and clear - but still very beefy. Big grins all round. [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Comparing the NEO against a regular ABM cab it is certainly different - seems a little bit less bassy (found myself bumping the bass and lower mid eq a bit to get back to my usual sound, which would have been overkill on regular abm). Or perhaps these ones just handle lower end a little better - I don't know. Also a little less inherent colour, more neutral maybe. No complaints at all about the sound. Sounds ace on stage with the volume cranked.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Volume wise - headroom for miles using my abm 500 head. I'm very sure I could get away with one cab - but two looks so much better (I know I know) Gain and volume settings on my amp were same as usual (9 o'clock and 11 o'clock respectively). Small tweak to eq - and got "my sound". All was good. All in all, really neat, light, great sounding cabs. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Topped off with a set of covers from Roqsolid (highly recommended) and I'm well happy.[/size][/font][/color]

[attachment=151061:IMG_0069.JPG]

[attachment=151060:IMG_0071.JPG]

....and the winner is....

[attachment=151059:IMG_0074.JPG]

Edited by BluRay

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1392911639' post='2374102']
Old thread but very interesting, as there's still pretty much nothing out there about this range. How are they a couple of months down the line?

The official specs claim they can go really deep, to 22Hz, I believe. How true is that in your opinion?
[/quote]

Good question. A few months on I still think they sound great, look cool and easy to move. :) To be fair, I honestly couldn't say how true the tech specs are. But I haven't noticed any constraints in the context of normal playing - and I do tend to push pretty hard in a loud band. I didn't really know what to expect from neo drivers - but I'd say they're more than a match for any of the other cabs I've had in the last 7 years (admittedly all Ashdowns - Mag210+410, abm 410+115, abm 210x2 - so rather its limited comparison). No regrets so far.

• 11 months later...

Well IMO the cabs run very deep as it is (perhaps voiced a bit different to some others, but if you crank the amp eq the range is very wide indeed) but I think two together seem much more than the sum of the parts. At quiet (living room) volume, it sounds the same individually or together. But bumped to rocked-out band level, using two, its a much bigger, wider overall sound - more like you might expect from a 610 or bigger. I'm not sure if thats the same as depth (as you might mean it), but the upshot is impressive. Its a serious gig rig. These are utterly brilliant cabs for the money - not sure why they don't get more fuss here to be honest.