Section 1: Questions about you.

25 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi

Big and bouncy

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts
  • Location:Wherever I lay my hat...was London, now Changsha, China.
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

OK so I've had a chance to review the results and they're definitely interesting and may even be relevant to other active discussions.

We had just over 350 responses which was great and provided an insight for us who was actually engaged with the site at the time the survey was open.

I'm going to post just Section 1 today with other sections being posted over the next week or so. I know some of the text is hard to read - my apologies for that, I haven't managed to find a way to download the displayed results yet. It's something I'm working on.

Question 1 - How long have you been a member of Basschat for?

Attached File  monthly_12_2013/post-2-0-81652600-1388263940.png   8.58K

Clearly there are a lot of member who have been part of the community for a long time!

Question 2 - Whch age range do you fit within?

Attached File  monthly_12_2013/post-2-0-08683500-1388264041.png   8.79K

In some ways, this was a bit of a surprise - a very strong peak in the 45-54 range and a slightly lower but still significant peak in the 35-44 year range. This is consistent with the age distribution of who generally shows up to Bassbashes. BUT I was wondering where all the younger, just starting out players were though. They seem to be under represented considering so much of what volume musical instrument manufacturers produce is aimed at beginners.

Question 3 - Which of the following best describes your level of playing confidence?

Attached File  monthly_12_2013/post-2-0-58194300-1388264454.png   17.72K

No real surprises here - a nice standard bell curve. But again, beginners might possibly be under-represented.

Question 4 -How did you find out about Basschat?

Attached File  monthly_12_2013/post-2-0-04616300-1388265265.png   13.28K

Twelve percent of you are the geniuses that legends are made of. Otherwise, no surprises here.

Other methods?

Attached File  monthly_12_2013/post-2-0-10173000-1388265361.png   20.3K

No comment. :)

Question 5 - Silly question: Do you approve of silliness on the forum?

Attached File  monthly_12_2013/post-2-0-01163500-1388266102.png   3.66K

And...if so, why not?
Attached File  monthly_12_2013/post-2-0-95847900-1388266273.png   41.95K
Attached File  monthly_12_2013/post-2-0-70511500-1388266302.png   23.65K

Some fairly serious replies. :)

More to come over the next few days.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, Future Impact, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads, Trace Elliot Hexavalve
Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Chandler Custom HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Klein replica with sustainer, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Burman GX3 preamp, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 and Burman Pro 501 50w combo.
Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live

#2 xilddx

• Members
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Interesting, thanks Steve. You've put a lot of effort into this, it's appreciated.

#3 Woodinblack

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • Interests:Oh.. stuff..

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostKiwi, on 28 December 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Attachment BC survey Q2 - age range.PNG

In some ways, this was a bit of a surprise - a very strong peak in the 45-54 range and a slightly lower but still significant peak in the 35-44 year range. This is consistent with the age distribution of who generally shows up to Bassbashes. BUT I was wondering where all the younger, just starting out players were though. They seem to be under represented considering so much of what volume musical instrument manufacturers produce is aimed at beginners.

They are still playing guitar and have yet to discover the power of the light side of the force
Maruszczyk Elwood5/24
Ibanez SRFF805, SR1605, SR1000EWM, ATK305
Squier CV P Bass, VM Fretless Jazz
Hohner B2,
G&L2500 c/w Roland GR55
.. and lots and lots of guitars

Amps and cabs by those lovely TC Electronic people

Feedback

#4 bluejay

Waiting for a left-handed Dingwall to GAS for

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Music (durr...!); Photography; Enjoying life

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostWoodinblack, on 29 December 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

They are still playing guitar and have yet to discover the power of the light side of the force

What he says! Or they are simply using FB and Twitter etc.

#5 Oopsdabassist

Part time bassist, part time engineer, full time idiot.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Sitting very still, interspersed with leaping about playing a bass

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Good reading there. It seems there are more silly people than I remember, or multiple answererererers.....or geese.
PlanetRock.com..... the UK's BEST radio station!!

apparently I have feedback

#6 tauzero

The Voice of Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostKiwi, on 28 December 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

OK so I've had a chance to review the results and they're definitely interesting and may even be relevant to other active discussions.

We had just over 350 responses which was great and provided an insight for us who was actually engaged with the site at the time the survey was open.

I was engaged with the site. I didn't see anything about the survey. Anyone who doesn't frequent Off Topic (or use Facebook or Twitter to find out about the contents of an internet forum, which seems rather counterintuitive) is unrepresented in the survey.
Coitum volaticum non dono

http://www.thelightning.co.uk - The Lightning - rock covers band
http://www.spiralsix.co.uk/ - Spiral Six - rock covers band
http://www.secondtimeround.org.uk - Second Time Round - acoustic duo

#7 molan

Beyond hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm getting a 'you do not have permission to view' on each of the results :(

Partner at www.bassgear.co.uk - subjective comments made here on BC are purely personal views as a gigging bassist!

My Feedback

#8 ezbass

Turn it up until your pants flap!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • Interests:Bass (duh!), Guitar, Rock Climbing, Golf, Snowboarding & Skiing

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Postmolan, on 29 December 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I'm getting a 'you do not have permission to view' on each of the results :(
It's a plot :D

MOO!
Happiness is a warm P

Rickenbacker 4003S, Rob Allen MB-2, Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom Fretless, Phil Jones Cub, Bass Buddy & PB300

My Feedback

#9 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts
  • Interests:Clause wrangling

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

Couple thoughts here:

* I did a similar though less rigorous analysis a few years ago which showed a similar middle-aged bulge. For the life of me , I can't remember how I did it but I think I may have based it on a thread in GD. Anyway, here it is:

Posted Image

And here's the recent BC Survey:

Posted Image

Surprisingly similar and suggests that this higher index of Old Bobs is something that's been around for a while.

* The other thought is that OT might be unrepresentatively older than the rest of the forum. I'd imagine that gear, GD and technique might have a younger profile.

#10 RhysP

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Posttauzero, on 29 December 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Anyone who doesn't frequent Off Topic (or use Facebook or Twitter to find out about the contents of an internet forum, which seems rather counterintuitive) is unrepresented in the survey.

I rarely bother with Off Topic these days, don't use Facebook or follow Basschat on Twitter & I was one of the first people to respond, so your statement isn't entirely correct.
If somebody as thick as me managed to find the survey post without resorting to social media I'm sure there must have been others.

#11 Woodinblack

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Presumably there must have been a roughly average group of people who saw it (I saw it but only on here, not twitter or facebook) so it is probably reasonably representative
Maruszczyk Elwood5/24
Hohner B2,
G&L2500 c/w Roland GR55

Feedback

#12 molan

Beyond hope

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

View Postezbass, on 29 December 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

It's a plot :D

Looks like it's another mobile device thing. I think the plot is to try and stop people using iPads and iPhones to access the site.

Youtube videos have been invisible to me for a long time & now I can't see these picture attachments :(
Partner at www.bassgear.co.uk - subjective comments made here on BC are purely personal views as a gigging bassist!

My Feedback

#13 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

View Postskankdelvar, on 29 December 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Couple thoughts here: * I did a similar though less rigorous analysis a few years ago which showed a similar middle-aged bulge. For the life of me , I can't remember how I did it but I think I may have based it on a thread in GD. Anyway, here it is: Posted Image And here's the recent BC Survey: Posted Image Surprisingly similar and suggests that this higher index of Old Bobs is something that's been around for a while. * The other thought is that OT might be unrepresentatively older than the rest of the forum. I'd imagine that gear, GD and technique might have a younger profile.

Alexa used to provide age details for the users of websites, and it tied in closely with both your's and the survey's results. TB had a much younger demographic if I remember correctly, so I'd imagine that's where many of the younger players are visiting if they're inclined to use a bass forum.

FWIW I didn't know about the survey either.

#14 discreet

Tone? What's that?

• Members
  • 20,822 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

I wonder if the middle-aged bulge is responsible for the regular episodes of curmudgeonliness* on the forum?

They do say you get more right-wing as you get older. The current mrs discreet is no spring chicken any more and disturbingly has started to read The Daily Mail online. More disturbingly, she thinks I don't know about it.

She has yet to invade Poland, however. We'll see.

*A real word. Look it up like I did.

Edited by discreet, 30 December 2013 - 12:43 PM.

Fender Road Worn PrecisionM|MMarkbass SA450M|MBarefaced Two10
Feedback

#15 molan

Beyond hope

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Maybe the lack of younger people is because parts of the site (like all the results published on this page) aren't visible on the mobile devices they use all the time?

Sorry to keep harping on but BC is the only site is use regularly that has so many issues when accessing via iPad :(

My Feedback

#16 Woodinblack

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

What issues? i look on iPad, and when you click on 'full site' it seems to work ok. What am I missing?
Maruszczyk Elwood5/24
Hohner B2,
G&L2500 c/w Roland GR55

Feedback

#17 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postskankdelvar, on 29 December 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

I did a similar though less rigorous analysis a few years ago which showed a similar middle-aged bulge.

Funny, I've got one of those just behind my bass...
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Precision '57 RI (Japan 2004/5) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Genz Benz Streamliner 900 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#18 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts
  • Interests:Clause wrangling

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

View Postdiscreet, on 30 December 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

I wonder if the middle-aged bulge is responsible for the regular episodes of curmudgeonliness* on the forum?

On a number of occasions I have suggested that this (and concomitant testosterone depletion) might be the case.

Far from stimulating heated debate I instead learned that Mr Billy Apple is still 'squirty' even though in his mid-seventies. Which - frankly - was no help at all.

Edited by skankdelvar, 30 December 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#19 alyctes

largely ornamental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  • Interests:Peak oil. Climate change. Ocean acidification. Ecology. Human ecology.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

View Postxilddx, on 29 December 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Interesting, thanks Steve. You've put a lot of effort into this, it's appreciated.
+1

#20 gapiro

I get paid to break things.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Breaking things, Cricket, Bass.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Some of the silliness answers made me laugh far too much at work.
Cheer for the posts
My feedback thread!

Basses : Lakland 55-01 (+Big Splits + Aguilar OBP-3), Lakland Owners Group Bass 2010 - Rosewood neck, Some others that I never play....
Amp: Harley Benton BA500H (deceased), TC Electronic RH750 into
Cab :Markbass 2x10 Traveller (x2)

Bands - Ska and Function Stuff. Also theatre stuff as and when (bit of a musical theatre nerd)

#21 Kiwi

Big and bouncy

• Administrators
  • 9,541 posts
  • Location:Wherever I lay my hat...was London, now Changsha, China.
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

:) Glad it was appreciated.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, Future Impact, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads, Trace Elliot Hexavalve
Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Chandler Custom HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Klein replica with sustainer, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Burman GX3 preamp, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 and Burman Pro 501 50w combo.
Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live

#22 bertbass

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I didn't find out about it 'til it had finished. Great work though.

#23 Jonnyboy Rotten

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Music, Real Ales etc

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Are there any more results to come from the survey? One example was what can be done to improve the site. My suggestion was to have a bass related 'musical items for sale' for things like bass effects pedals, bridges, tuners, pickups etc and a non bass related part for guitars, rainsticks and everything else.

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten, 03 April 2014 - 03:23 PM.

All your bass are belong to me....

Ibanez SR300
Squier Precision Bitsa with upgraded hardware (Wilkinson, Seymour Duncan, Schaller) http://basschat.co.u...n-mic-re-birth/
HB Kahuna Ubass

Hartke A100
Roland Micro Cube Bass RX

My Feedback: http://basschat.co.u...onnyboy-rotten/

Proud to be involved in THE Bass Relay ....Bassists raising money for Cancer Research UK! ...Map of Honour

Follow the Bass Relay on Facebook ......... ....Follow the Bass Relay on Twitter .... ... ..... Donate at Just Giving

#24 charic

Horklown Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

I don't know about more results but I can answer about your improvement idea :)

Item for sale | Forum
Bass effect pedals | Effects for sale
Bridges, tuners, pickups, parts for guitar, rainsticks etc | Other Musically Related Items For Sale

:)

The fretboard is your playground

No Fingering Or Slapping Allowed!

BC T&C's

Forum Behaviour Guidelines

#25 Jonnyboy Rotten

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Music, Real Ales etc

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

View Postcharic, on 07 April 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

I don't know about more results but I can answer about your improvement idea :)

Item for sale | Forum
Bass effect pedals | Effects for sale
Bridges, tuners, pickups, parts for guitar, rainsticks etc | Other Musically Related Items For Sale

:)

Thanks!
All your bass are belong to me....

Ibanez SR300
Squier Precision Bitsa with upgraded hardware (Wilkinson, Seymour Duncan, Schaller) http://basschat.co.u...n-mic-re-birth/
HB Kahuna Ubass

Hartke A100
Roland Micro Cube Bass RX

My Feedback: http://basschat.co.u...onnyboy-rotten/

Proud to be involved in THE Bass Relay ....Bassists raising money for Cancer Research UK! ...Map of Honour

Follow the Bass Relay on Facebook ......... ....Follow the Bass Relay on Twitter .... ... ..... Donate at Just Giving

#26 charic

Horklown Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

No problem mate, if you ever have any questions feel free to drop me a line :)

The fretboard is your playground

No Fingering Or Slapping Allowed!

BC T&C's

Forum Behaviour Guidelines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users