Why become a member? ×

squier or fender bass vi low e string - where can I get a single .95 or 100 gauge small ball end to fit this bass?

Mod_Machine

Hi, I have the squier vi and want a thicker set of strings on it. Seems silly that fender website advertise they come with 26-95 gauge strings on but in reality they are arriving with same as the fender bass vi....24 to 84 gauge.
So lots on the internet about the labellas, which is fine but at £55 in UK its too expensive.
There is also lots about the length required for the vi meaning guitar strings are not long enough and loads of people saying order custom made sets....but no definitive answer...

So where in the UK can I get a heavier gauge e (and possibly a) string to fit squier vi with a small ball end?

Ta

M_M

I'll be watching this with interest.

I haven't got my Bass VI yet, end of Feb :( , but I'm pretty certain I'll be wanting some flats or at least heavier rounds but the LaBella flats are pricey.
Aren't the LaBella rounds a bit cheaper, £35ish, I'm sure a heavier gauge than the Fenders.

Yep...I'm incorrect and just found a dealer doing the 95 labellas for £35 a set which isn't bad...but still want the 100 low e.
As for my statement about the small ball ends I think that can be discounted! I'm not sure where I've picked that up. Just tried an Ernie ball custom gauge 105 which has a relatively normal sized ball end and its fine. It may not allow too much movement through the tremolo system but has I've already locked it and intend not to use it I can't see an issue.....guess I just need to build a set from 100 gauge down to 28 through strings direct...or maybe a standard set of 4 plus two custom individuals!

[quote name='Mod_Machine' timestamp='1388343878' post='2321034']
Hi, I have the squier vi and want a thicker set of strings on it. Seems silly that fender website advertise they come with 26-95 gauge strings on but in reality they are arriving with same as the fender bass vi....24 to 84 gauge.
So lots on the internet about the labellas, which is fine but at £55 in UK its too expensive.
There is also lots about the length required for the vi meaning guitar strings are not long enough and loads of people saying order custom made sets....but no definitive answer...

So where in the UK can I get a heavier gauge e (and possibly a) string to fit squier vi with a small ball end?

Ta

M_M
[/quote]
I've found that the 'Bass VI Players' page on FB is the best resource for all things Bass VI. You may have to trawl through a lot of other stuff on there but they have all the information you'll ever want to know about what strings to use on your Bass VI.

[quote name='Mod_Machine' timestamp='1388392430' post='2321383']
We seem to have a shortage of custom string suppliers and companies selling off the shelf replacement/alternative scratch plates in this Country.
[/quote]
And that's a problem? Every company i've ever dealt with in the US has delivered exactly what i wanted at a good price and despatched quickly.

As for this country i've sourced all of the replacement parts i've ever needed for the 1960s basses i've had here in the UK. I've had numerous scratch plates, pickup surrounds and truss rod covers also made here.

I don't see a great need for custom strings for me in the UK when companies make these so cheaply in the US, usually with reasonable shipping as well.

Picato Medium length Flats seem to fit nicely but I don't know if they'll do them small ball end - the large fit if you put them vertical & don't need to do the whammy bar much.

Email: [email protected]

If you make up a custom set of LaBellas they work out a lot cheaper - can only see SS or Nickel roundwounds though - this is what I've done. The *do* have small ball end.

[url="http://www.labella.com/category/products/electric/custom-set/?1=1"]http://www.labella.c...custom-set/?1=1[/url]

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

• 10 months later...

Why are the La Bella rounds so expensive over here? I've just ordered a custom set direct from La Bella and they came to $13.21, which according to Googles conversion thingy works out at £8.34, a bit better than the £35-40 over here.
Even with the postage it's less than £20, can't remember at what price import charges start but I'll take my chances.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1415658886' post='2602533']
Why are the La Bella rounds so expensive over here? I've just ordered a custom set direct from La Bella and they came to $13.21, which according to Googles conversion thingy works out at £8.34, a bit better than the £35-40 over here.
Even with the postage it's less than £20, can't remember at what price import charges start but I'll take my chances.
[/quote]

I just ordered a set myself after finding the Ernie Ball 6 string set that most shops advertise as suitable for Bass VI are actually no good for a 6 in line headstock. The La Bellas cost me £15 including shipping and I was able to pick the gauge of every string, can't really argue with that.

• 2 weeks later...