Why become a member? ×

Strings for Squier Bass VI

derreybass

Having actually recieved my Bass VI two days before Christmas day which was ordered at the end of August this year I have been very pleased with how it plays and the number of tones available from it. It was worth the wait, however, I expect a number of you have heard that the strings supplied with it aren't really the most suitable gauge for it. The .84 E string is too thin and floppy also while the .72 A string is reasonable it too is better if replaced. To aviod going down the costly La Bella string route I discovered that Ernie Ball custom gauge roundwound bass strings will fit and have fitted a .95 and .80 to the bass, these were bought separately and the result is much better, I think possibly a .102 for the E string may even be better. I hope this I of use to some of you. Be interested to hear your thoughts.

I got the strings from Wunjo Guitars in Demark Street London, they must be available from other places as well. They were very helpful !!!. I've been doing a bit measuring and the distance from the tremolo to the bridge on the Bass VI is just about 4", and this added to the scale length 30" is 34", the same as a normal long scale bass. The strings I bought were Ernie Ball Custom Gauge for normal long scale 34" so in theory at least other long scale strings could be used from other makers. This will make things a bit cheaper than the La Bella route at about 45ish for a set. The Nut on my Bass VI didn't need filing to fit the .95. I have some Elites on my Jazz Bass and the E string would fit the Bass VI. If anyone does try this make sure that you cut the new string so that it has a small amount of taper to fit into the machinehead groove. I will try and post a picture of how it is on mine.

Thanks for that. My Bass VI came today (ordered friday) and the bottom E really is a bit useless as it stands although I haven't put the action up on that yet. I may even have some ernie balls, although maybe a 100. The A is actually ok as you say, but I suppose if you replace the E then the contrast is going to be a bit of a jump.

I noticed that standing on the floor, the nut of the Bass VI is in the same place as the nut of the Jazz Bass, as the bridge of the jazz bass is so far back

[quote name='derreybass' timestamp='1388501501' post='2322735']
This will make things a bit cheaper than the La Bella route at about 45ish for a set.
[/quote]

I ordered a customised set of strings direct from LaBella - it was surprisingly inexpensive at about $23 (inc p&p) for the set. They took a couple of weeks to arrive - but that's good value IMO.

- Nick.

[quote name='The Twickerman' timestamp='1389206408' post='2331394']
I ordered a customised set of strings direct from LaBella - it was surprisingly inexpensive at about $23 (inc p&p) for the set. They took a couple of weeks to arrive - but that's good value IMO.

- Nick.
[/quote]

Was that for flat or round?

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1389219465' post='2331644']
Was that for flat or round?
[/quote]

It was precisely this:-
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Item Number HRS : HRS-.100 Guitar Model: Bass VI $4.25 USD 1 $4.25 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.080 Guitar Model: Bass VI $3.90 USD 1 $3.90 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.056 Guitar Model: Bass VI $1.42 USD 1 $1.42 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.044 Guitar Model: Bass VI $1.38 USD 1 $1.38 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.036 Guitar Model: Bass VI $1.33 USD 1 $1.33 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.026 Guitar Model: Bass VI $1.28 USD 1 $1.28 USD Single String

They are roundwound.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='The Twickerman' timestamp='1389206408' post='2331394']
[/quote]

It is good value. If I make a set like that it comes to $13.56 but then the cheapest shipping cost is $23.52, so $37.08 in total, or £23, or is that what you meant?
I think that is reasonable (it is a lot cheaper than I can get them in the UK), but was wondering if you really meant $23?

This is the exact order I placed:-

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Single String HRS : HRS-.100 Guitar Model: Bass VI[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Quantity: 1[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Price: $4.25[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Single String HRS : HRS-.080 Guitar Model: Bass VI[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Price: $3.90[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Single String HRS : HRS-.056 Guitar Model: Bass VI[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Price: $1.42[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Single String HRS : HRS-.044 Guitar Model: Bass VI[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Price: $1.38[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Single String HRS : HRS-.036 Guitar Model: Bass VI[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Price: $1.33[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Single String HRS : HRS-.026 Guitar Model: Bass VI[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Price: $1.28[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] International - USPS First Class Mail[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] Shipping[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Price: $9.30[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Total $22.86[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Order placed on 2013-10-31 12:05[/size][/font]

Ah, ok. Well, the shipping has gone up now, my order was exactly the same as that apart from shipping, which says:

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3]international - USPS First Class Mail [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3]Shipping [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3]Quantity: 1[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3]Price: $17.88[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3]Total $31.44[/size][/font][/color]

On the plus side, when it first mentioned the shipping it was $23.52, but in the final checkout it was $17.88.

Still, a lot better deal than getting them anywhere in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='The Twickerman' timestamp='1389258371' post='2331905']
It was precisely this:-
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Item Number HRS : HRS-.100 Guitar Model: Bass VI $4.25 USD 1 $4.25 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.080 Guitar Model: Bass VI $3.90 USD 1 $3.90 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.056 Guitar Model: Bass VI $1.42 USD 1 $1.42 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.044 Guitar Model: Bass VI $1.38 USD 1 $1.38 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.036 Guitar Model: Bass VI $1.33 USD 1 $1.33 USD Single String
Item Number HRS : HRS-.026 Guitar Model: Bass VI $1.28 USD 1 $1.28 USD Single String

They are roundwound.
[/quote]

I recently got a Squier vi and I just ordered the same set but roundwounds. I cant do anything with the stock low E, I cant even get the intonation right. I'm glad I saw this post as they only came to £19.02 delivered. A considerable difference in price!

Cheers

Dunc

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1407756785' post='2523582']
If rounds are ok, what about Ernie Ball 6-string Slinky Bass Guitar w/ small ball end 29 5/8 scale .020w - .090( 2837) - £13.95. They are for the Silhouette Bass Guitar, which is 29.5" scale. However, they may be too short because of the trem...
[/quote]
They are too short.