Why become a member? ×

Jesus Christ Superstar

rodacademy

Don't know anything about the (excellent) bassist. But I'd forgotten what a bloody good show this was.
It was cool to like it when it first came out, because Andrew Lloyd Webber wasn't the figure of fun he later became
The first album version had Ian Gillan as Jesus. How cool is that?
I saw it in the West End twice in the 70's. Was completely blown away.
Now watching it on C5 and really enjoying it. Ben Forster and Mel C really terrific. Tim Minchin sounds OK but looks a bit stiff.
Hosanna! :-)

That's my lead singer and cousin playing Simon. He played Jesus in Adelaide and Sydney whilst Ben was unwell, to really good acclaim as well. We did the aftershow party in Liverpool on the last leg of the UK tour, we ended up playing with Tim Minchin for about 4 hours onstage. Top guy, Chris Moyles even got up and ended up playing drums with us, but we were just about destroyed by then!

The Oz tour was Phil Mulford on bass who is just unreal. Not sure about the UK tour because I know Phil couldn't do it. Ben was cracking as Jesus and another lovely chap.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1388451801' post='2322253']
That's my lead singer and cousin playing Simon. He played Jesus in Adelaide and Sydney whilst Ben was unwell, to really good acclaim as well. We did the aftershow party in Liverpool on the last leg of the UK tour, we ended up playing with Tim Minchin for about 4 hours onstage. Top guy, Chris Moyles even got up and ended up playing drums with us, but we were just about destroyed by then!

The Oz tour was Phil Mulford on bass who is just unreal. Not sure about the UK tour because I know Phil couldn't do it. Ben was cracking as Jesus and another lovely chap.
[/quote]

Wow that's all pretty impressive! Your cuz is terrific!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1388452220' post='2322258']
[/quote]

I shall let him know :) Lord Sausage on here recently did the Rent tour with my cousin too which was also great, we met up after the show in Liverpool. Another great bassist in our BC midsts.

I did JCS for a school a few years back. The bass pad is nuts (changing time signatures almost bar by bar in some tunes). I am told (by someone on here who did the show with ALW) that the touring groups get a couple of weeks of rehearsal in before the show hits the road. I think, with that amount of time invested, it would be relatively 'easy' to nail it, given an acceptable level of competence.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1388485357' post='2322438']
touring groups get a couple of weeks of rehearsal in before the show hits the road. I think, with that amount of time invested, it would be relatively 'easy' to nail it, given an acceptable level of competence.
[/quote]

Yep.
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/0t4n.jpg/][IMG]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8344/0t4n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Gillan's is still the benchmark performance to measure others by for me. Considering he had to learn and record it in a very short time between Deep Purple commitments it goes to show what an effortless natural singer he was back in the day. He fancied a go at acting in his youth so it would have been interesting to have seen him do it on stage had it been possible.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1388451801' post='2322253']

[/quote]
[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1388452220' post='2322258']
[/quote]
I can confirm that Liam's 'cuz', rory, is incredible. He just delivers the goods night after night. Never out of tune regardless of quality of monitor mix. It's effortless too. Also he is a top, top bloke. Not a hint of arrogance etc. Great singer as Liam is a great bass player. Their band played the RENT aftershow.....blew me away.

With regards to the JCSS pads i did the show for a pro theatre company in the 90's, that went on to do the original RENT tour, I was 17. The pads are pretty involved but great to play. We got a couple of weeks rehearsal. However, the RENT tour i've done/doing. We got a band call then 2 days rehearsal then on the road.

Edited by Lord Sausage

I was a fan of the '96 production at the Lyceum.
Steve Pearce on the soundtrack (poss in the live show too)- the cast were phenomenal.
Google may prove otherwise but Steve Balsamo was Jesus (great rock voice- superb head voice) and Zubin Varla was an epic Judas- completely disturbed and uncomfortable with himself.
Brilliant show in its opening weeks.
Loved the show ever since I played a semi-pro production in my late teens.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1388627270' post='2324263']
As far as I know, the bassist on the JCS tour was Ian King. Phenomenal player.
[/quote]
He has been a member on here on and off.

Its a great show but the Australian music tour (just songs, not acting) blew me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6PxaBYnOGw

John Farnham as Jesus, Kate Cebrano as Mary and the indomitable John Stevens as Judas - what voices!!

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1388629518' post='2324266']
I was a fan of the '96 production at the Lyceum.
Steve Pearce on the soundtrack (poss in the live show too)- the cast were phenomenal.
Google may prove otherwise but Steve Balsamo was Jesus (great rock voice- superb head voice) and Zubin Varla was an epic Judas- completely disturbed and uncomfortable with himself.
Brilliant show in its opening weeks.
Loved the show ever since I played a semi-pro production in my late teens.
[/quote]

I was in college with Steve Balsamo and was in a production of JCSS with him - great singer!