Why become a member? ×

Novation bass station

steviedee

Hi folks I just bought one of these the original rack mounted thing. Anyone got any experience or opinions on them. I'm using it with a set of bass pedals to get an approximation of a Taurus, hopefully.

I currently use a laptop and minimonsta but I can't be arsed setting it up all the time, not that it takes a particularly long time, just fiddling with the midi interface and I use the laptop for other stuff (typing this question fror instance) and would like to leave all the gear in the studio.

Any info much appreciated.

I have the later K-Station keyboard - an excellent little 3 oscillator synth. It came with probably the best manual I've ever had for a piece of musical equipment, with an in-depth explanation of synthesizer architecture and principles. If you didn't get a manual with your Bass station, I'd suggest trying to get hold of one. A quick search of the web reveals a copy here: http://soundprogramming.net/manuals/Novation_BassStation_Rack_Manual.pdf

The manual for the software version on the Novation site (http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/downloads/4194/english96.pdf) contains a "Synthesis Tutorial", which looks more like what my manual includes

Have fun

IME - and its been a while since I played one - the Novation sounds are more biased towards the Roland (and Oberheim) rather than Moog so unless you can stack the voices in mono mode it might not be able to give you that classic Moog fatness. OTOH if you're not careful to Taurus can have a tendency to stomp it's massive sonic footprint all over the bottom end of the mix, so a slightly thinner sound could be a good thing.

[quote name='irvined' timestamp='1388663780' post='2324443']
I have one that I grafted into a set of bass pedals.
[/quote]

Lol what a great idea. I've been thinking of ways to mount the bassstation on a rack or something or those angled wooden end cheeks you get for synths.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1388664316' post='2324458']
IME - and its been a while since I played one - the Novation sounds are more biased towards the Roland (and Oberheim) rather than Moog so unless you can stack the voices in mono mode it might not be able to give you that classic Moog fatness. OTOH if you're not careful to Taurus can have a tendency to stomp it's massive sonic footprint all over the bottom end of the mix, so a slightly thinner sound could be a good thing.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, an approximation of those old classic sounds will be fine. I looked at the Minitaur and it looked great but a wee bit pricey the DSI Mopho also looked like a nice machine. But this came up and it was very reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...