Why become a member? ×

January Composition Competition

Skol303

[color=#b22222][size=5][b]The January Composition Competition is now underway.[/b][/size][/color]

There are two images to whet your creative appetite this month, chosen by the previous joint-winners AL-the-Bassman and Dad3353. As is tradition when we have a draw, your composition must take inspiration from [u]both[/u] pictures. So... err... good luck with that :D

[i]From Dad3353 we have...[/i]

[i]...and from AL-the-Bassman we have:[/i]

[b]RULES 'N' STUFF[/b]

By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b] If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat except no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

For reference: here's a great source of copyright-free material, all available under Creative Commons license: [url="http://www.freesound.org/"]http://www.freesound.org/[/url]

[b]3) Entries should be written and produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating!

If you have any questions about the competition rules then please get in touch.

[color=#b22222][b][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Friday 24th January.[/size][/b][/color]

Have fun! :)

Edited by Skol303

WOW, thats going to be VERY difficult.
I can think of ideas for each, but not both......
Can we do 2 compositions ? based on each.or just one based on one of the pictures with one overall winner ( unless its another Draw of course )

I mean how can i make a tune about burt reynold's tash, and illusion art ??

Edited by AL-the-Bassman

[quote name='AL-the-Bassman' timestamp='1388608872' post='2324037']
Can we do 2 compositions ? based on each.or just one based on one of the pictures with one overall winner ( unless its another Draw of course )

I mean how can i make a tune about burt reynold's tash, and illusion art ??
[/quote]

Serves you damned right for not colluding..! :P (No, I didn't either, so I'm just as dumb... :blush: ).
How about "The illusion of Burt Reynolds"..? No..? Not inspired yet..? (Incidentally, thanks; I didn't know who was in the photo. I'll return the favour; the title of the Escher work is "Ascending descending"...)
"The Escher 'tach"..? No better..? Hmm... You're a difficult one, you are... :angry:
"Monk bandits"..? "Reynolds Stare lift"..? "Stepping out with Burt"..? "Stairs and doors"..? "Un tâche sur l'escalier"..? "Bandits climbing to the bottom"..?
No..? Still nowt..? I give up, then. :unsure:
Maybe I'll superimpose the pics and see what happens..? ...or create a 'beat' of tramping feet from a sampled car door slamming. Go on, I'm sure you're cap. Not 'easy peasy', I'll allow, but all the others have the same handicap..! :lol:
Whatever, it's going to be a really off-the -wall winner this month, that's pretty certain. Good luck... B)

Edited by Dad3353

Well we've had tougher challenges in the past... the month involving Jimmy Saville, Scooby Doo and the Mexican Day of the Dead; not forgetting the time we had to compose to each of the previous 12 month's images - set to video!

So yeah. In the words of Man vs Food: "It's time to put on your big boy pants and get to it!" Or something like that :D

PS : my tip for this month would be to not get bogged down in a literal interpretation of each image.

The images are meant to be a starting point for your music - the aim is never really to capture them precisely (like a soundtrack), but to produce something inspired by them.

For example: from Smokey & The Bandit it could be a country theme, 'driving music', perhaps a sense of action/chase. From the Escher picture it could be something technical (even techno!), repetitious, or ascending/descending as already hinted by Douglas. And much more besides.

You get the idea...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1388658902' post='2324388']
PS : my tip for this month would be to not get bogged down in a literal interpretation of each image.

The images are meant to be a starting point for your music - the aim is never really to capture them precisely (like a soundtrack), but to produce something inspired by them.

For example: from Smokey & The Bandit it could be a country theme, 'driving music', perhaps a sense of action/chase. From the Escher picture it could be something technical (even techno!), repetitious, or ascending/descending as already hinted by Douglas. And much more besides.

You get the idea...
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: I guess you have already heard mine then , a repetitious country driving song , It takes the surprise element away though :lol:

[quote name='AL-the-Bassman' timestamp='1388608872' post='2324037']
[/quote]
Challenge accepted. One picture gives me an idea for a theme, the other for a style :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1388658902' post='2324388']
...For example: from Smokey & The Bandit it could be a country theme...
[/quote]

***Hard Stare*** Now they're all gonna think I nicked your idea. It was MINE I tell you MINE!!!!

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1388692135' post='2324977']...***Hard Stare*** Now they're all gonna think I nicked your idea. It was MINE I tell you MINE!!!![/quote]

Chill out, son, I'd already chucked away two in this idiom before these suggestions. No, I don't (yet..! Mwahaha..! :ph34r: ) have the answer, but answer there is. More bourbon, perhaps..? :gas:

[quote name='AL-the-Bassman' timestamp='1388694093' post='2325020']
well the country theme is obvious if you've seen smokey and the bandit .
its blending that in with the other picture....
tricky
[/quote]

...and as I hadn't come across this before (my loss, I know...), I've spent today 'researching'. I'm just glad I didn't pay seats in the cinema to watch that. Ideas, however; ideas... Hmm... :unsure:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388711454' post='2325301']
Escher and The Bandit?? OH COME ON!!!?!?! :blink:

Well... what about some redneck car-chase banjo music with a rap by MC Escher..?
[/quote]

If folks will vote for that, you're going to become even more popular. Gregorian chanting, bluegrass style..? Hill-billy lutes..? Keep 'em comin', they're all good... ;)

I am not listening in just yet , I have my ideas planned, but not started recording yet , so i wont listen to others till I'm done , but B*****y H**l Dad , you are going to be sitting around really twiddling those fingers for a whole month again waiting for the next one :lol:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1388755137' post='2325620']
I am not listening in just yet , I have my ideas planned, but not started recording yet , so i wont listen to others till I'm done , but B*****y H**l Dad , you are going to be sitting around really twiddling those fingers for a whole month again waiting for the next one :lol:
[/quote]

Twiddling what..? Oh, fingers... :blush: Sorry, I misheard. No, I've got several of my own on the go which reclaim my attention, and a hefty session of sorting out my sounds library in waiting. The 'music room' is being 'refurbished' (euphemism; it means 'rebuilt'..!), so it's 'armchair' stuff, for now, although i can now plug an instrument into the PC. Next step: dig out my bass from wherever it's been stored (read: hidden...).
...and not as quick as it may appear, either. It depends whether one can sleep or not, and as I can't, I may as well do this. It's not as if it's high quality, either... :blush: More patience than anything else, I'd say. Come on, you can all do better than that... :rolleyes: