Why become a member? ×

Shadow SH RB Pro Rockabilly pickup

MOXYBASS

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this old topic - still no one tried one? In my quest for the right pickup I'm considering trying one on recommendation from Thomas at Slapstrings, but I've yet to know anyone who uses one or hear one in use aside from a pretty uninspiring video on Shadow's Youtube channel of a guy doing some decent slapping, but with a pretty awful, electric sound IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

i got one and......... its 'kin great IMO! im using it with a genz benz 12,2. it takes a bit of tweaking and some of the controls are quite sensitive (move it a mm and the sound changes a lot) but all I reckon:
a) I can get a better sound out of it than my K&K
B) I can get a wider range of tones - a nice woody sound to a very 'electricy sound'
c) It seems clearer over all
d) it has a tuner - i have lost so many tuners on gigs (i recon over £120 worth of tuners over the years!)
e: it has a phase on sub filter - which will help feedback fighting
f) it doesn't have that horrible jack attachment that damages your strings (the k&k caused a strng to snap on a gig once

when i first got it, i took off my k&k, assembled it and thought it sounded 'ok' but not much better than my k&k. i tweaked it for about 30 mins than put both pickups on the same bass and A/B'd them and ..... woah the shadow was WAAYYY better!

I dont know why shadow are using that horrible video to promote it. Anyway, hope his helps

• 1 year later...

i have just got one ive always been a knk fan as they are powerful but this blows the knk out of the water
ive tried a knk rockabilly pro with the slap pickup and when you wind the slap up it seems to make the bass sound a bit trebbly and tinny so i always put my slap seperate into the pa , with this it dosnt merge the two sounds, it seperates them and gives a great woody click
what i also like it that when im playing a quick rockabilly tune with slap it sounds great ,when the slap isnt needed you just bend down back it of and just have the bass ,the tuner is awsome and you can still get a great click with a cab that has no horn