Why become a member? ×

Slapping (Help, please)

parker_muse

[url="http://media.putfile.com/Random-Slap"]http://media.putfile.com/Random-Slap[/url]

Does this one work...

Yes.:)

kay, im outta time and its hardly the best line in the world ever, but can you look at my right hand work please?

Thanks,

Parker

Edited by parker_muse

Your using the right amount of force for the pops but you seem to be using at least 3 fingers when you pop on the G-string but you'll develop individual finger strength soon enough, it is now just a case of putting into practice what everybody has contributed in this thread but don't feel like any of us are pressuring you, it'll take time and you'll grow to love the sound of a metronome but it will ultimtaley pay off, and as suggested previously a good idea Parker man would be to video yourself ina few months on depending on the amount of time you spend practicing.

[quote name='Steve Rickwood' post='24611' date='Jun 28 2007, 08:55 PM']Actually, yeah - Stu Hamm and Alex Sklarveski did some pretty decent tuition vids, altho it helps to see a good tutor. The biggest lesson I learnt was hammer-on dead notes with the fretting hand - after that it made a lot more sense. And someone pointed out about miller and flea clones...yeah - I watched Claypool and he was the only player who made me want to slap as he approached from a more interesting angle. Rob trujillo (now Metallica fame...) was also a bit of a demon, esp when combined with performance - dont forget the performance aspect. Musos are boring to watch. Work at both concepts.:)

good luck dude.[/quote]

found this Alexis Sklarveski clip on Youtube...

basically gives the game away on the "secret" of slapping...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoHgfCVbYE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoHgfCVbYE[/url]

Victor Wooten
Stanley Clarke
Larry Graham
Abe Laboriel
Marcus Miller

They're some of the best slap teachers.....

Listen and copy them! Good musicians don't borrow - they steal. Copy things and adjust them for your own style...

I wouldn't say slap the way mark king slaps it, you can do it 2 ways I know of, thumb up like mark king, or thumb down like you are in the video. I use the thumb down, but the back of my wrist is kind of anchored on a B, but still, it feels just as natural, that wrist movement. Never encountered a problem in using this approach, I don't have any problem with speed. The way I got good with slapping is by starting just the octave slop pop thing, the most basic, then you start with slap-double pop, using the e to the d, then the a to the g, e to d is harder, there's a string in the way of your fingers but it's fine when you get the hang of it. Then, double slap-pop, takes a lot more practice, wears your wrist down at first. So, you can do slap pop, double pop, and double slap, next is hammer ons, easy enough, but I took something from stu hamm where I use my left hand as a slapping mute, if you don't fret with your first finger, but hold it so it mutes the strings, fret it like you would a bar chord, but leave the rest of the fingers in the air, then use the rest of your hand, mainly the 2nd and 3rd finger together, you use that to slap the strings, it's tricky at first, but when you get the hang of it... I guess it's hard to explain without demonstration, but anyway, then you can incorporate that into the rest of what you're able to do. I think of slapping as a lot of different combinations, once you can get to it any which way, that's when the fun begins, but anyway, don't slap up if slapping down feels comfortable, both methods are effective in my opinion.

[quote name='Nate' post='25374' date='Jun 30 2007, 07:32 PM']Victor Wooten
Stanley Clarke
Larry Graham
Abe Laboriel
Marcus Miller
They're some of the best slap teachers.....
Listen and copy them! Good musicians don't borrow - they steal. Copy things and adjust them for your own style...[/quote]

I don't know, those guys thump the strings, and double it up, it's a completely different approach to the way Mark King slaps, infact, it's really a different technique all together. I can slap no problem but can I thump it, barely, and I think it's much harder.

Hehe, you're in trouble now, man. I agree with you but damn.

Seeing as we're name-checking, Louis Johnson is a monster. In a good way, of course.

Edit: Parker, seeing as you're still new to slap, try thumbs up too. It just enables you to do slap and pop in one smooth wrist movement rather than an arm movement.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='25900' date='Jul 2 2007, 10:52 AM']Hehe, you're in trouble now, man. I agree with you but damn.

Seeing as we're name-checking, Louis Johnson is a monster. In a good way, of course.

Edit: Parker, seeing as you're still new to slap, try thumbs up too. It just enables you to do slap and pop in one smooth wrist movement rather than an arm movement.[/quote]

The movement comes from the same place, whether it's down or up, unless you're doing something out of the ordinary. Plus, the benefit with slapping down is that you can cover the lower strings when you're not using them to block out hum, and you don't have to wear the bass at chin height :)

Aim higher...

Make sure you're comfortable with what you do. keep in mind that the only BAD technique is the one that hurts you!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0[/url]

that'll be me.... :)

Edited by Nate

You're [i]that[/i] dude. Someone posted your clip on here before. That's some cool sh!t man.

As for thumbs up/thumbs down, I really don't see what the problem with trying it both ways is, especially when you're starting out. One might suit you better than the other.