Why become a member? ×

'Worn' basses - hot or not?

action_panzer

I like to look after my gear and get upset if any of my basses pick up dings etc..so I would not buy a road worn, but I do think they actually look cool when done properly. A pal of mine has a vintage P bass that rivals Jaco's bass of doom aesthetically..but each ding tells a story (seriously that bass has lived).

I suppose I like real worn more than road worn....if that makes sense?

Edited by White Cloud

Warm. I'm a Road Worn owner, but was dead against the idea when I bought it.

I had played it previously- loved the way it felt but hated the way it looked, so I asked the shopkeeper to order in a couple MIM '50's reissues, thinking it would be an un-Roadworn version of the same bass.

It wasn't the same. Not even close. So I walked away with the one that felt best and looked worst (I really wanted the honey blonde!)

You may not be a fan of Fender Road Worn appearance, but they are so damn comfortable you won't believe.

Genuine wear is very cool, especially if you owned it since new.

Edited by cameltoe

Not for me, battle scars are won the hard way. This reminds me of blokes I knew back when I rode motorbikes who would take files to their knee sliders on their leathers so it looked like they'd got their knee down...

I played a Nate Mendel recently, nice bass but the light relicing on that seemed pointless and the heavy stuff is just trying too hard.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1389292903' post='2332532']
I can take the relic look or leave the relic look but I do wonder how the f**£ some genuinely worn basses get into the state they're in.

Do the owners take them to gigs tied to a tow rope behind their car?

I own several guitars that I bought in the 70s, one is from the 60s. They were extensively gigged over the years and still look 9/10 condition today.

It makes me wonder what the fake worn basses are based on? Maybe it's ones that were accidently dropped off a ferry and were recovered in a trawlers net 30 years later? :D

Frank.
[/quote]

you know i really echo your thoughts...when i was buying a stingray -never the cheapest bass- i was amazed at the condition of some....one looked like it had been used as a mallet to bang fence posts in, another had rusty fittings and buckle rash that can only of been done by george michaels belt in faith, and yet another had been erm refinished in what looked like mg mgb dashboard crackle finish which the vendor insisted was original....i may have been unlucky?

Edited by iconic

See my avatar** ? I'm happy to play something like that. Whether its real or faked, I just dont care. It just looks cool and as a poster or two noted above, the road worn basses are very comfy to play. If it makes you like playing bass then its cool with me. I also have mint basses.

** MarloweDK's jazz bass

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1389306555' post='2332777']
[url="http://www.nashguitars.com/Images/Guitars/bass/JB63CARr3pw.jpg"]http://www.nashguita...JB63CARr3pw.jpg[/url]

thats is sexy as!

[/quote]
I'd much rather have an unmolested straight out of the box nice and shiny Squier than that every time.

Edited by BetaFunk

[url="http://www.nashguitars.com/Images/Guitars/bass/JB63CARr3pw.jpg"]http://www.nashguitars.com/Images/Guitars/bass/JB63CARr3pw.jpg[/url]

thats is sexy as!

im all for natural wear tho doing that on my mody, its now a nice yellow close up, not bad in nearly 6 yrs.

andy
[/quote]
I like it - although it would be nice too in an unmolested state

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1389289084' post='2332458']
And what about buying a genuine old instrument? If one or a number of previous owners were responsible for the visible wear, does 'truth' dictate that one should refinish it?
[/quote]

Although a worn looking bass would probably put me off in the first place, if I found an instrument that was completely wonderful in every aspect apart from the worn finish, I would have absolutely no qualms about sending off to Sims Custom to have it looking new again. At that would be irrespective of any perceived value or devaluing due to it getting a refin.

I a have a pair of Overwater Originals from the Mid 80s that are just starting to look the wrong side of shabby to me. At some point in the next few years I'll be getting in touch with Chris May to find out about getting them returned to their new condition.

Guest FretNoMore

[url="http://www.nashguitars.com/Images/Guitars/bass/JB63CARr3pw.jpg"]http://www.nashguitars.com/Images/Guitars/bass/JB63CARr3pw.jpg[/url]

thats is sexy as!

im all for natural wear tho doing that on my mody, its now a nice yellow close up, not bad in nearly 6 yrs.

andy
[/quote]

I don't know, this amount of wear looks quite unrealistic to me, has there ever been a bass that worn by actual use?

I've got two relatively worn in basses right now that are simply a product of their (35 and 40 year old) history. It's probably a pretty 'fashionable' look to have at the moment and yes they are cool. I'm not always sold on the look of reliced instruments but that's because I kind of consider it cheating!

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1389346886' post='2333026']
I don't know, this amount of wear looks quite unrealistic to me, has there ever been a bass that worn by actual use?
[/quote]
That's exactly what i don't 'get' with a lot of these relic'd guitar and basses. All these basses they are trying to replicate were not cheap when bought new in the 60s and 70s and although i've seen many of those originals with a few dings and worn paint mostly they were looked after (even if gigged really hard) because they were the tools of someone's trade. Most of the relic'd one's i see seem to be more neglected than road worn relics and therefore totally unrealistic.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1389347004' post='2333030']
I've got two relatively worn in basses right now that are simply a product of their (35 and 40 year old) history. It's probably a pretty 'fashionable' look to have at the moment and yes they are cool. I'm not always sold on the look of reliced instruments but that's because I kind of consider it cheating!
[/quote]

^ ^ Yes. I had a 76P that also took 35-odd years of playing to get the 'finish' that it has today... you can't fake it! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1389347392' post='2333038']
^ ^ Yes. I had a 76P that also took 35-odd years of playing to get the 'finish' that it has today... you can't fake it! :)
[/quote]

I suspect Clive Brown would argue with that. ;)

As I said, for me it all comes down to how it's done (although the type of bass does have bearing on this too). The Nash posted is too far gone for me and doesn't look authentic enough, but each to their own.

Leaving relicing aside for a moment, how many here simply don't like a worn instrument? I've never been a great fan of the aesthetics of most new Fenders but the first time I ever saw a picture of Jaco's main Jazz (probably 1980-ish?) I thought it looked utterly fantastic. Same with Rory Gallagher's Strat a couple of years before, and also with Klaus Floride's and Herbie Flower's Jazzes. So I obviously find worn guitars, or worn Fenders at least, aesthetically pleasing in a way that new ones aren't IMO. Why is that? I'm not sure; possibly because to me they have more character, or have more of a "pick me up and play me" quality.

Thinking about it I'm a bit the same with women. :lol: High-maintenance glamour (Cheryl Cole, Nicole Sherzinger etc) are not my bag at all, I find them quite off-putting. Give me Barbara Good anyday; she doesn't even need the posh frock. ;)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1389288145' post='2332442']
I wouldn't buy a reliced bass, but I am not vehemently opposed to them. It is just a finish option, like sunburst (which I wouldn't buy either)

[/quote]

I do like the look of some roadworn basses, as I've said earlier
and I may actually be about to buy one :)

Again, it depends on how "well" it has been done
and there's a pic of a P Bass somewhere above that's in a totally OTT state IMO

As Alfie says, it's really another finish option
If you don't like them, well buy a pristine one
There are plenty of pristine finishes and colours I would never buy

Oddly enough, as someone else has already mentioned,
Roadworn seems to work well with Fenders,
but not so well on other guitars....
Wonder why that is?

Marc